First to Fight (2x1/72 Arma Hobby Fokker E.V)

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

And discovering a mystery! OooOOOoooo! So there's this weird little compass looking PE thingy:

2 hours ago, CedB said:

The compass?

I don't think it's a compass, fat use it would be fitted to the side wall!

Stuart

It is compass. It is attached to the side, but the long thing on the bottom (something to correct the iron airframe influence on the magnetic needle) sticks through the bottom!

14-jan-2011-g_orig.jpgnov-27-2011-109_orig.jpg

(pictures from the Aviattic website)

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

It is compass. It is attached to the side, but the long thing on the bottom (something to correct the iron airframe influence on the magnetic needle) sticks through the bottom!

Grzegorz, talk about perfect timing! I was down in the grotto looking the kits over when the email notification came through.

Thus armed, I drilled out the holes in the flooring:

28697542228_df46f76189_h.jpg20180604_200934 by Edward IX, on Flickr

28697541158_c568858ba6_h.jpg20180604_200946 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've also been applying some of the PE to the Expert kits:

42519529982_09a4fa596a_h.jpg20180604_201004 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm struggling a little with the cooling jackets, which I suspect I should try annealing.

28697541288_bf64cded51_h.jpg20180604_201015 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 9

Another update! Twice in one night, at my age, with my reputation?

42573392071_bef5b2d903_h.jpg20180604_223532 by Edward IX, on Flickr

40764774520_bcfcd746fd_h.jpg20180604_223601 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The first aircraft's cockpit PE is finished, complete with compass long thing protruding from lower fuselage. Mrs P and the children decamp to Michigan for ten wonderful days on Wednesday, so I have one more day of dull care and then hopefully we can really get moving.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

This is coming along quite nicely!

While Arma didn't do this in 1/48, they apparently forced Eduard to re-release their 1/48 Profipack boxing, which includes markings for Bastyr's aircraft.

• Like 1

Nice work there Edward, and good to hear you will have a bit of solitary confinement coming up :D 

Re the cooling jackets, if you have a set of small drill bits it might be easier to select one of approximately the same caliber as the gun barrel and roll the etched jacket around that. I know some swear by annealing to make etched parts more flexible but I have never found it necessary, not that I use a great deal of etched metal.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Whew, just finished catching up from page 1. I feel knackered just reading it, how must you feel living it mate. ;) I do like what I see of these, I can see one, 1, ein, une, uno of these in my future, I don't think I could face any more. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Very nice detailing PC, those bits must be tiny :coolio:

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Twice in one night, at my age, with my reputation?

:rofl2: Proud of you matey, good man!

• Like 3

Hint for rolling the cooling jackets from WingnutWings website (I think the heating may be not necessary here, and if you decide to use heat, do it exteremely carefully!):

Albatros%20D.V%20&%20D.Va%20Spandau%20Ja

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Whew, just finished catching up from page 1. I feel knackered just reading it, how must you feel living it mate. ;) 

Ha, be glad I didn't share the story of Mrs P visiting me at the office with the boys yesterday, it might have killed you. It nearly killed us: toting small children who've missed their naps through the country's third-largest city while beholden to the tyranny of the railway schedule under a cloudless sky is no picnic. 

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice detailing PC, those bits must be tiny :coolio:

Well, nobody's complained so far...

Happily the PE with the kit is a bit more like the stuff made by PART than Eduard's PE, which I usually find a bit stiff and hard to cut away from the fret gates. If it actually was done by Eduard, I shall feel quite foolish, of course, but unusually, I got all the seatbelt bits on, which never happens for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Whew! Not much updating lately. Melanie and the children are off safely in Michigan, and I've been catching up on my sleep. I got ten hours last night and I could kill or woo a bear now, your choice.

First two fuselages are closed up:

27827470797_0ac868a09b_h.jpg20180609_124127 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Not much more has been accomplished, but I also managed to get in a run this morning, sleep in, write some emails to my boss in support of a possible promotion, and just sit and think about whatever I pleased for a long period of time without hearing screams from somewhere else in the house.

• Like 17

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

I got ten hours last night and I could kill or woo a bear now, your choice.

Woo it, then kill it. And film it :D 

Internals of the Fokkers are looking very nice mate, enjoy your me-time :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Woo it, then kill it. And film it :D 

Stew's a hard man. 

I spent most of yesterday out in the yard shifting large paving stones that had been used to form a large flower bed abutting the rear of my house, causing water to seep into my basement. The previous owner was a great man for poorly-thought-out mid-1960s DIY (the era of overconfidence), and most of my projects over the last six years have revolved around undoing his handiwork. I managed to twist my knee that didn't have arthroscopic knee surgery, filling me with the terror of another long recovery, but after icing it yesterday periodically and waking up sore, it seems to have sorted itself out today. Since the only way I can control my weight in the slightest appears to be through running, knee injuries are my bane; my father had three before the age of sixty and is now medically prohibited from running. I'd prefer to stave off that fate.

I've got two of the E.Vs fully closed up at this point, and the third one (the basic kit) is getting there. 

28841500558_c67772d2d2_h.jpg20180610_110223 by Edward IX, on Flickr

28841492828_238ca825f2_h.jpg20180610_110245 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I've also run into my very first fit problem on the kit, though happily a minor one: the tailplane is too narrow where it meets the fuselage and a little fettling will be required. 

I'm getting close to the point where I'll need to figure out the order of operations for the decals that replicate the hex-pattern fabric skin. I'm thinking probably apply the tail, spray the fuselage Fokker olive green, glosscoat, add decals, then add struts, engine, cowl, and the tailfin. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

What brand was the silver your sprayed on the etched parts? It covered nicely without obscuring the finer detail...

I believe it was AK Interactive XTREEEEMEEEE!!!1! Metals Aluminium.

• Thanks 1

Just caught up. In brief, the cockpits look superb. Love the little compasses. Hope your young uns are well again. Sorry to hear about your ailments. Phew, knee injury was not serious. I recommend Alclad primer (nice and fine) but suspect someone else has already said so.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for the slow progress, fellas, I've mostly been catching up on my sleep. Tomorrow my children return from Michigan, and sleep (and rest or joy of any sort) will be a thing of the past.

In any case, after a little filling and sanding, I added the tails to the fuselages.

42791656112_a0c0e99b0d_h.jpg20180616_145854 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also have most of the engine components done. 

42791655932_db4d4b515a_h.jpg20180616_145903 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 14