A20 Havoc / Boston

kitman

4 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I now have vague plans to build a Havoc II intruder and "Spirit of Sport".  For the first, I'd need the vented cowlings and hedgehog exhausts (I think).  Can't immediately see those advertised for sale on the SH website.  Any ideas?

For the latter - neglecting the fuse for the moment -  I think I'd just need to add the oval exhaust outlets behind the cowlings.  Is this as simple as drilling out the nacelles and adding a plastic tube cut at an angle, or is the cowling different too?

Hi Martin, firstly, the 'Alligator Tail' exhausts and vented cowlings come as an extra resin baggie with the SH Turbinlite Havoc kit. They are not really up for grabs generally from SH but I spoke nicely to them by email and they kindly supplied me with some sets, at a price I might add, but that was OK, happy and all that. You can give it a try yourself. Having said that, it's not impossible to make them yourself. Beaufighter or Halifax etc.kits will provide something of the approximate size with a bit of reshaping.

The Revell kit, you will find, supplies both types of rear cowling assemblies to accomodate either the 'big pipe' early variants and the later multi exhaust pipe A20C/ Boston IIIA, have another careful look at your kit again.. The Alligator Tail pipes plug straight into those appropriate early rear outboard cowlings.

3 hours ago, viscount806x said:

Hi Martin, firstly, the 'Alligator Tail' exhausts and vented cowlings come as an extra resin baggie with the SH Turbinlite Havoc kit. They are not really up for grabs generally from SH but I spoke nicely to them by email and they kindly supplied me with some sets, at a price I might add, but that was OK, happy and all that. You can give it a try yourself. Having said that, it's not impossible to make them yourself. Beaufighter or Halifax etc.kits will provide something of the approximate size with a bit of reshaping.

The Revell kit, you will find, supplies both types of rear cowling assemblies to accomodate either the 'big pipe' early variants and the later multi exhaust pipe A20C/ Boston IIIA, have another careful look at your kit again.. The Alligator Tail pipes plug straight into those appropriate early rear outboard cowlings.

D'oh!  Completely missed those.  Thanks!

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, mike romeo said:

Well, based on the discussion here, I bought a Revell Havoc kit.  Looks good, with - as has been mentioned - some nice spare bits.

I now have vague plans to build a Havoc II intruder and "Spirit of Sport".  For the first, I'd need the vented cowlings and hedgehog exhausts (I think).  Can't immediately see those advertised for sale on the SH website.  Any ideas?

For the latter - neglecting the fuse for the moment -  I think I'd just need to add the oval exhaust outlets behind the cowlings.  Is this as simple as drilling out the nacelles and adding a plastic tube cut at an angle, or is the cowling different too?

...expecting the answer: "it's much more complicated than that!"

Regards

Martin

I assume you are talking about the RAAF 22 Sqn Boston III "Spirit Of Sport", this is a std DB-7B Boston III in the standard RAF scheme of DG/DE over sky, all Boston III's run the same engine cowl , the "Tropical" cowl is made by simply removing 6 oval cooling hole covers from the lower outer engine cowl and 2 from the lower inner cowl (total 8 oval holes). Red Roo make a 1/48 Tropical engine cowl set for the A-20A and DB-7B (Boston III).

"Spirit of Sport" A28-15 DU-Q was a DB-7B Boston III (RAF serial AL361)(Boeing built) and was nominaly Flt Lt Bill Newtons aircraft though he only flew it on 2 missions before he was lost and not on his VC mission on 16 Mar 43 as has been incorrectly stated in alot of publications and articles, it was lost on a mission to New Britain on 14 Sep 43.  This aircraft flew 56 missions till it was lost and was flown on most missions by Flt Lt Bob Wines (more than 30) who took it over as his aircraft after Bill Newton was lost . It had the single letter code of "Q" between Nov 42 and Jul 43 and the DU Sqn ID code was applied mid Jul 43.

4 x .50's thru the bomb aimers window and the std 4 x .303's in the cheek positions. Strafer Bostons had their bomb load reduced to 1500 Ibs from 2000Ib , as the 4 x .50's with mounts and ammo added more than 500 Ib to the nose of the aircraft (.50 MG weighs 80 Ib each and 100 rounds of .50 ammo weigh 35 Ibs) (4 x .50 and 1000 rounds of .50 ammo (250 per gun) and mounts= approx 700 Ib). Normal bomb load on a Boston III Strafer was 2 x 250 Ib (fwd position in bomb bay) and 2 x 500 Ib bombs (aft position in bomb bay).

Edited by Sydhuey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1