Zvezda 1/72 109F Finished

Ahh the end of another  brain wrecking contract means I can indulge in the Zen that is 1/72 aircraft. First up in the new workspace(s) is this simple , snap fit but nicely detailed 109F:

Boxtop.jpg

Markings will be Marseille's F courtesy  of this truly horrible pile of misshapen styrene, got for 2 Euros! Well did you expect them to spell his name right for that?

decaldonor.jpg

Pit has been assembled, given a good blast of Mr Paint RLM 66, bit of detail painting and some Eduard belts popped on:

pit1

pit2

The sun is still shining, so I think it's  dejeuner sur l'herbe time as we say in Basingstoke, a barbecued wagyu burger and cold Estrella are calling , mazeltov!

A

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I presume the Misterkit "F" is a reboxing of the old Heller mould?

I very much doubt it, it has horrible random scribed detail and blobby shapes not even dreamt of by Starfix: I have a load of Heller 109B/C & Ks and they are beautifully  detailed  albeit with simple shapes and raised panel lines..

mistercrap

• Like 1

All nicely zipped up: Replaced the nose cowl hinge that got sanded off and drilled out guns for resin replacements. Interesting thing re the images, tried shooting RAW in my build camera  (Panasonic TZ-80) and then "developing" and resizing etc.in Photoshop. Result was pants, mostly noise unlike the same process in for my RFI beastie, a Nikon D850, wonder what causes the image degradation?

zipped-up2.jpg

Tried a new materiel, coloured  2 mm acrylic sheet for the tip lights:

tipligh1.jpg

Glued in with black superglue, was a dream to work with compared to sourcing bits of coloured resin, sprue,old toothbrushes etc and also dirt cheap at £2.99 for an A4 sheet. Also tried out new toy: Cricut Explore to make teeny tiny masks and a wheel well mask.

cricut

masks

tipmask

The rains have started with a vengeance and the humidity in my spray room is showing 78% humidity so priming will be tomorrow. Adios muchachos.

A

• Like 4

Good evening Mr. A,

I am somewhat intimidated by the Hi-Tech universe you live in! No wonder digital cameras behave differently, whether a model is finished or being built.... Creeeeeepy! Did you check your reflection in a mirror lately? Noticed anything weird?

As to the Friedrich, I shall be following your build with care, as I have been toying with the idea of acquiring the same kit (and/or the FW 190 of the same company). I have read reviews in many languages, past, present and future, and nobody seems to agree. For some, this is the next best thing to G&T, for others it is an oversimplified kit that looks more like a toy...

So you can imagine my excitement at seeing that this 109 is your next victim.

Have fun!

JR.

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:07 PM, azureglo said:

The sun is still shining, so I think it's  dejeuner sur l'herbe time as we say in Basingstoke, a barbecued wagyu burger and cold Estrella are calling , mazeltov!

The Zvezda 109 is, of course, very interesting, the cold Estrella sounds sublime though.

The Cricut looks like a nice tool - how is the software for it?

cheers

23 hours ago, Jinxman said:

The Zvezda 109 is, of course, very interesting, the cold Estrella sounds sublime though.

The Cricut looks like a nice tool - how is the software for it?

cheers

The Cricut is an excellent machine, far more accurate and capable of more than the Silhouette Cameo, especially in cutting heavier material or very fine shapes. The weak point is the web only cutting /design software which likes Bluetooth over USB. I do all my drawing in Adobe Illustrator, save as *.svg and import into the cricut design space only to cut.

• Thanks 1

Dodgy fit of the canopy aided by removing snap in lugs. Note the big gap at the wing/fuselage join. A general slather of Mr Surfacer 500 wiped off with Levelling thinner reduced the visibility considerably

wingap.jpg

Alclad grey primer top & bottom, lovely stuff. Tropical filter donated by Academy 109G.

primetop

primeunder

Tried out my totally unnecessary but wonderful latest purchase: A Harder & Steenbeck air blower, lovely tool for accurately blasting off dirt & debris;

airblower

• Like 2

More progress, as this needs a red RLM 23 tail that would be fiddly to mask with tailplanes on, I did that first

redtail.jpg

A bit of pre-shade as these desert planes always looked a bit weary

preshade

RLM 78 on as the Mr Color takes 10 mins to dry, for once  I actually managed" thin, light coats", paint is the wonderful Mr Color thinned 50/50 withe Nectar of The Gods - Mr Leveling (sic) Thinner

rlm78

rlm78b

Today might see the RLM 79 sandgelb on as well writing a UX strategy, if weather allows (is sunny in Basingstoke, that means barbecue and mimosas not compressors and toxic fumes...)

• Like 3

Keeping on the "little and often" strategy  I've adopted for modelling, here's today's update: Masking removed and RLM 79 looking good. The pre shade has held and no nasties to touch up:

rlm79

Mask fell off starboard wing light but that is looking surprisingly nice. Fortunately I have a dozen more tip light mask if needed.

tiplight

• Like 1

As my gloss coat dried in 30 mins (the power of Mr Leveling thinner again), tried out my Cricut wheel well masks:

wellmask1.jpg

wellmask2.jpg

That hits the spot as far as I'm concerned, sharp delineation and no over spray! Spurred on by success, I've begun decalling:

decals.jpg

The Misterkit decals were pants and a spare set of codes from a Skys sheet along with kit markings saved the day. The tail kill markings had to be used despite being out of register. Well I'm on mini break including hooking up with some fellow BM'ers @ IPMS Salisbury so no modelling till next Tuesday but feeling proud of having kept at it and not whingeing about my mojo.

Cheers

A

• Like 3

On 5/27/2018 at 12:23 PM, Azgaron said:

Nice paint job! Nice looking pre shade! :)

Håkan

@Azgaron Thanks for the kind words, its a bit overdone but it looks more interesting than just flat paint which is probably more accurate, Just really getting to grips with my pre-thinned mr color/auto shop paints and, thinning and my airbrush. I've ordered one of these for freehand mottles, camo and pre-shading as my H&S Infinity struggles with fine lines even with super thinned lacquer paints and low air pressure. As I'm staying with 1/72 I'd like to get my pr-shades & panel variation much better.

Cheers

A

Looks like a nice airbrush! :)

Love that it's Marseille's plane you're building! Seems to have missed that info! :)

Håkan

Hi Azureglo,

Your build has caught my attention as I've just finished 2 tropical 109's. I feel a bit guilty about your problems with the "Marseille" markings as I've just completed my 109F from this boxing -

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/132497-finemolds-fl5-messerschmitt-bf-109f-4-trop

and since I wasn't building the kit schemes I still have a full set of the Marseille markings 😮

Your build and paint job are going well and it has helped me to realised I misinterpreted the construction of the 109F canopy leading to some remedial work last night in removing the non existent frames in the main canopy. One item I just noticed - Does the Zvezda kit come with squared off wheel wells? Based on the Fine Mold kits, the 109F has circular wheel wells whereas the G (including the early G-2 I built) have squared off wheel wells. I'm not sure if there were any exceptions in late build F's or not.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael louey

Hey @Michael louey, if you look at the pics with wheel well mask, they are squared off: I have quite a few books including the one mentioned here that suggest that Friedrichs could have either well shape so left them as is. Technically this Zvezda is an F-2 and should would probably have the earlier "109E" square well so I think Zvezda's "mistake" worked out for me! BTW I have a goodly collection of Finemolds F,G and K's but am tempted to use the AZ 109F ( with round wells) to practise on while I hone my airbrush skills!

Cheers

Anil 

Another update from a busy day: First off, all the decals on and those teeny little trim tabs painted RLM23

decalled.jpg

Decided to try the oil dot weathering technique to simulate the harsh conditions in North Africa,

dotted.jpg

smeared.jpg

subtle.jpg

subtle2.jpg

Well, I think it needs a bit of practise but its there, the trick is to select much darker shades and/or be more bold in leaving more of the smearing on. The underside worked reasonably well and I'll be curious to see how it looks under some Mr Color Flat.  Moving on I reasoned that a propeller slicing through sandy air would look pretty weathered  so decided to give the salt chipping method a go,

salt1.jpg

salt2.jpg

Pretty cool in my opinion and just the job for doing one of those weather beaten WW2 Japanese planes methinks. Last order of the day, the DB601 apparently was a leaky beast and and the undersides of these birds were often smeared with oil stains from behind the radiator. Armed with some turpentine thinned oil paint, I gave it a go,

oil.jpg

A successful day and tomorrow might see the flat coat and final assembly, ta ta for now.

A

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this at the beginning of the week but needed to do some serious tidying up of photo studio + relearning how my focus stacking etc works. RFI to follow tomorrow but here;s a teaser ....

port1c.jpg

Drove myself nuts making the aerial out of super fine Uschi rigging (0.1mm!! are they kidding?). Tried a new technique for doing the armoured glass that worked like a charm and even managed to get the (non-staggered) MG17s from Aries in the teeny holes I made, Motorkanonne was Albion alloys tube with blackening fluid and pencil graphite . Exhaust and gun residue is drawing pastels and microbrushes

A total hoot and the first model that I've built that I'd put on a competition table and not be embarrassed (wouldn't win anything apart from some free abuse from @Mike as usual)

Thanx for watching

Anil

• Like 4