This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CedB

What have you purchased / been given

Started this after Mike closed the other 40+ page thread - hope that's alright?

Received today from Proops Brothers (go there it's great / don't go there, you'll empty your piggy bank):

42298015831_c8672a3394_z.jpg

10x Jewellers Loupe, £5 in their clearance. I know how that works and will use it on my AB nozzles / needles to make sure they're clean.

Now I need some help please.

The Engineer's Multi-guage I bought for £4.50 to use for... well, centre finding and lots of other things. 

BUT how does this work?

28425353218_3780eb60ee_n.jpg 40492162040_a1e0287bec_n.jpg

Is that right? Draw a line, turn the object round, draw another and they cross at the centre? Is the angle critical? Help please :) 

The 10 piece micro Broach set I bought for £6.50 because Keith and others said they were good for cleaning out small holes.

I had no idea they were this small:

28425362258_5a22f3a184_z.jpg

... and I have no idea how to use them. Like a file? No teeth: 

42298078181_a8055f7933_z.jpg

Twist them in the hole? Help again please. On the plus side there seem to be twelve in the pack. Winner!

28425421948_18a56d3079_z.jpg

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Is the angle critical?

With my carpentry hat on 👒 (isn't it pretty) the tool I use the angle is 45%. Two or three lines will do you.

PS. Stop temping me with stuff. :lalala:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Gorbs :) 45o, got it. Must be somfin to do wiv that Pythagoras bloke eh?

Nice hat :D 

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

With my carpentry hat on 👒 (isn't it pretty) the tool I use the angle is 45%. Two or three lines will do you.

Lovely hat but make sure you don't catch the ribbon in your router or jig-saw, maybe best to take it off and tuck it into your blouse when using power tools. I must have my QHSE hat on!

Duncan B

Some cut-off discs for my Dremel clone.

I noticed that I was down to just two when I was using the drill to cut down a Tamiya scriber blade in order to get into tighter spaces. Luckily I didn't snap any of the discs, but they're handy things to have knocking about.

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Started this after Mike closed the other 40+ page thread - hope that's alright?

This thread has been mis-titled I'm afraid, it should be:

'What has Ced bought that I find I now unexpectedly need as well.' 

The worst of it is I can think of positive reasons to acquire all of the above....

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

Best just buy the stuff Gorbs and have shot of the internal agonizing. Look what happened to yon Macbeth feller.

Addenda: wonder would this work with MicroMesh?

https://www.proopsbrothers.com/5-x-dremel-proxxon-replacement-sandpaper-holding-split-mandrels-235mm-332-shank--x8149-9729-p.asp

3 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

cut down a Tamiya scriber blade in order to get into tighter spaces.

That's a good idea, why didn't I think of that. :dunce:

Posted (edited)

Stepkids got me a couple of acrylic shelves off an auction website, on account that I'm a year older and all that, to give me more space in my Ikea cabinets = room for more built models.

Winner!

Edited by Bonhoff
Typo fever

A lettuce.

1 hour ago, Darby said:

A lettuce.

Iceberg?

An ultrasonic cleaner.

An old one that was given to me (yippee! free = good) but when plugged in would not work. (not as good...).

A mate who is an electronic genius quickly rectified this situation and it is, quite literally, humming along!

I put my airbrush in and within a second of switching it on there appeared a stream of "smoke" emanating from the airbrush components. I was amazed and entertained simultaneously while it did its magic.

So much so that I did three runs of 10mins on the airbrush - just because I'm easily entertained by silly things like this! Small amounts of giggling could be heard as well!

I'm now slightly concerned that the brush will never work as it did before, since all the cavities are now permitting paint and air to escape through the spaces that were previously gummed up!

14 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Iceberg?

No, definitely a lettuce.

hi ALL,

I recently bought/received a TRADEFLAME 10 in 1 Multipoyposs  Solderin' Iron (Sodder for the Yanks )

....... did'nt come with the Butane Gas Aerosol tho

thats a trip to JAYCAR up on Highway   hhhhhhhhrrrrr !

The Pub is located in between........   mmmmm !

Yes a stopin may be required !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

15 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Iceberg?

Asked Captain Smith, just before the crunch....

Two 1/72 Fly reboxes of the Hasegawa Hurricane, a IIa and a IIb. These are probably the best we can hope for for the time being, not that I'll ever have time to build them.

An Academy P-39 Airacobra (as apparently it includes the necessary parts to build it as a P-400 and if it's good enough for MPM to use as a base kit for their recent releases it's good enough for me)...

... and my AlleyCat Early Beaufighter conversion set and Blenheim bulged side windows set :)

All in the proper scale, of course :D 

Cheers,

Stew

2 hours ago, Darby said:

No, definitely a lettuce.

Ha Ha Ha! Boom! Boom!....

Posted (edited)

Humbrol 247, an airfix lighting I have no idea when I’ll be able to start, but have an alleycat f3 conversion and sword decals to use on it and some new football socks 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Just got an excellent book on the AMX-10 from France.

542-1398-large.jpg

I made the mistake of looking at Creative Models specials today.  Oh dear.  I somehow found myself ordering the Hobbyboss 1/48 F-111 and the Trumpeter 1/700 Ark Royal.  This means a very big box arriving very soon (order shipped).  I need to hang nonchalantly around the front door to try and intercept said box.  This could turn very ugly :fuyou_2:

It happened an horrible thing to me...

I just turned fifty!

Yes, that bad!

So I really had to do something to cheer me up.

I turned myself towarrd an expensive, but efficient method:

Burn the credit card!!

All straight from SH

THE F.1!!!!

mirage15.jpg

An Indian Alizé 

alize_10.jpg

Wars before the War! China & Spain.

Republican Vildebeest

vicker10.jpg

William Labussière's Northrop Gamma

northr10.jpg

& Vultee V-11.

vultee10.jpg

From Plaza Japan

One of Tamiya's last beauties, Ki-61.

kawasa10.jpg

I'm still thinking I don't have enough Tomcats!!

tomcat12.jpg
tomcat13.jpg

And from some French shops

Books,

mmp_y_10.jpg

valian10.jpg

airdoc10.jpg

Conversion,

aml_3210.jpg

& decals!

dkd32010.jpg
dkd32011.jpg
dkd72010.jpg

:penguin: :penguin:

Wow, that lot should last you until you hit the next half decade

20 hours ago, Antoine said:

It happened an horrible thing to me...

I just turned fifty!

Happy Birthday!!!!:party:

On 23/05/2018 at 18:19, TheBaron said:

This thread has been mis-titled I'm afraid, it should be:

'What has Ced bought that I find I now unexpectedly need as well.' 

The worst of it is I can think of positive reasons to acquire all of the above....

Thanks Tony - no point trying to deny my 'tool tart' status, it's a disease... and it looks like you've caught it! :) 

Speaking of which:

28455404988_c9200e03fc_z.jpg

Picked up during the visit to Hannants Colindale. I was very good and avoided adding to the stash but I needed some more TET and the 'Quick Setting' looked like a good thing.

Now then, I really like TET so a quicker setting version has to be good eh? I couldn't wait to try it last night so I got some sprue and tried it.

Apart from taking the paint off my cutting may (yikes) it does seem to be very thin, but it didn't seem to stick the plastic? Hmmm. Off to the 'net then...

Tamiya website is less than helpful. 'Quicker setting time' - I guessed that.

Off to YouTube.

This video (in Polish) seems to show that neither sticks plastic very well but that the quick stuff dries quicker. Hmmm.

This one implies it's an accelerant for TET but, at the end, has a note to say it can also be used on its own. More hmmm.

I shall do some tests...

I did find this video though. Who knew that the brush in TET bottles can be pulled out to reach the bottom:

Not me for one. Great tip :)