Right...

48196052602_6de6c74b3f_c.jpgLeyland Hippo 19/H by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

All the bits. That should keep me quiet for a while!

48196052082_b8b257e94a_c.jpgLeyland Hippo 19/H by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

The chassis frame. The rule is 4mm to 1ft scale, so the frame length is 26ft.

48196051687_9c7a0f8f27_c.jpgLeyland Hippo 19/H by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

The main tank and pump cabinet assembly works out at 17ft 6in. There’s a canopy over the hose reels at the front.

48196051172_1850ebe3ed_c.jpgLeyland Hippo 19/H by Heather Kavanagh, on Flickr

The drawings are actual size for the scale. If you'd like a 1:1 scan I can do that for you.

Hope that’s helpful. Shout if you need anything else. :) 

• Like 1

I really do appreciate this Heather and, Yes please, I would like a scan of the document.  I could then resize, add comments and generally use that as my plan for the build.  I shall pm you with my email addy.

Best Wishes.

Mike

• Like 1

I will find my Dinky Hippo and take some photos for you on the weekend.  If I recall correctly it is 1/43rd scale.  In the mean time here is a photo which includes a cluster of Hippo refuellers in RNZAF service in 1980s.  Also a Leyland based crane in the right.

13010812_10153590099571279_1939790012095

Thanks for this photo' drcfan, it's a great view and wouldn't it be great if I could build most of those?   I think I could manage the second from the left and, of course, the centre one's now I'm getting all this help.  The Coles Crane on the left could be scaled from the Airfix kit but I am intrigued by the large Leyland on the right.  Anyone know if they were in service at British bases?

Cheers,

Mike

It is certainly the model but I am having to baulk at the cost, especially for something that would sit on the shelf after I had measured it for my scratchbuild.  Fortunately, Heather and dcrfan are being most helpful, in providing enough detail for the Hippo; plus Matthew and Richellis have offered advice and help on the Nubian, so hopefully there will be enough info to have a bash at making my own.  My preferred scale is 1:144 but there aren't any available to that scale. 

cheers

Mike

Thanks Paul but I now have the info for the Nubian. 

I have just received the kit from Paul at P.G. Models so good to go.  This kit wasn't available when I made my first enquiries so thanks for the heads-up.

spacer.png

and, with the stuff from Heather on the Leyland Hippo, I should be able to have a bash a making both.  I would still appreciate any other dimensions on the Hippo being offered, i.e.  distance between leaf springs, engine box length etc., basically all those underneath items that cannot be seen in photo's but are needed on a model.

Thanks again to all,

Mike

• Like 1

I did not remember mine was one of the French Air Force marked models.  This would have been purchased in Singapore 1966-68. 

Length 137.6

20190707_150730_resized

Width 43.8

20190707_150753_resized

Height 52.2

20190707_150841_resized

Outer axle wheelbase 91.3

20190707_150938_resized

Thanks Paul,  I can do something with that info and the images are very useful as well. 

That Dinky version of Hippo looks different from Heather's so I feel another build being prepared.

spacer.png

cheers

Mike

On 7/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, dcrfan said:

I will find my Dinky Hippo and take some photos for you on the weekend.  If I recall correctly it is 1/43rd scale.  In the mean time here is a photo which includes a cluster of Hippo refuellers in RNZAF service in 1980s.  Also a Leyland based crane in the right.

The left hand crane is based on a short wheelbase Thorneycroft Amazon,  same vehicle appears in the Airfix recovery set . The right hand crane is based on the chassis of the AEC Militant Mk1,10 ton 6x6.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Jones

On 7/4/2019 at 2:13 PM, bootneck said:

I really do appreciate this Heather and, Yes please, I would like a scan of the document.  I could then resize, add comments and generally use that as my plan for the build.  I shall pm you with my email addy.

Best Wishes.

Mike

There were Leyland Hippos  to the design in Heather's plans In use at RAF Gutersloh in the 1981/2 period painted in overall IRR green. I Remember one  driver telling me that it had a vacuum brake system and the windscreen wipers were also vacuum operated. He told me that in the rain you could have either good brakes or wipers operating - but not both!

Selwyn

Ha ha! my landrover was like that.  For some reason, on very wet days going up hills, the wipers would get slower and slower as the hill got steeper! 

This thread is getting really interesting, for me as a none vehicular minded modeller.  I think that I shall change the header title of this thread to something like "Airfield vehicles" because I am getting some really good help and information on the subject and feel there is much more out there to learn.  It would only be for plans and photo's of such vehicles in order that I can modify or build vehicles to go with the aircraft.

I do like to add vehicles to my 1:144 scale aircraft settings but normally have had to use none-scale vehicles.  I am now trying to rectify that by building some of my own in 1:144 scale, either scratchbuilding or converting other 1:144 trucks.   I scratchbuilt a Bloodhound missile and trailer, for my vacform Short Belfast, only to find that the two types probably wouldn't have been seen in the same setting.  Not to worry, I can use both in other, different dioramas.

spacer.png

Thanks to all for all the help and info so far, I hope that there will be more to come now that I've opened the subject up a bit.

Mike

Mike 

I have had these for over 40yrs . . . 

Scratch-AEC-Refueller-019.jpg
Scratch-AEC-Refueller-018.jpg

I also have the complete LIST of the plans drawn by John Church dated 1987 and it lists a couple of vehicles that you might be interested in

Plan 14 -  'Nubian' 4x4 GS

Plan 19 -  Leyland 'Hippo' 10 ton GS

the list runs to 300+

I believe that they are now part of the collection of Dan Taylor Modelworks 

Hi Mancunian,

I don't think I've seen that lower image.  I have just looked up Dan Taylor Modelworks and there's no reference to plans, just kits.  Is it possible to get a higher resolution scan of that Leyland type 19H/1E please?   You have underscored the word LIST but it doesn't appear to go off to a link, should it?

Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Cheers,

Mike

I've just caught this thread. I have BW Model Kits of most of what you are after, also still have a couple of unmade 1/76 resin Mark 9 kits (Capricorn Miniatures). There are also dimensions and scale vehicle drawings in two old books called Encyclopedia of the Modern Royal Air Force.  I'll see if I can dig them out.

Your image on the first page is a Mark 9 taken by me at RAF St Mawgan in 1988. The image below is not mine but was taken at the same place around 1977 and shows a Mark 6, with what would have been a brand new Mark 9 in the background.   Ace Models have just released the Mark 6 in 1/72 scale and is available from Hannants. 

48284402366_63dd0d1844_z.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 2:15 PM, bootneck said:

Ha ha! my landrover was like that.  For some reason, on very wet days going up hills, the wipers would get slower and slower as the hill got steeper! 

That reminds me of the Ford Thames van my Dad had in the early '60s. It was a 1956 model with vacuum (or pneumatic?) windscreen wipers. They used to go very (and I mean very) slow under heavy engine load, and absolutely bonkers on a trailing throttle!

Ah, memories!!!

• 2 weeks later...

That's an interesting vehicle, and a kit that I haven't seen before. however, I don't bid on those auction sites. I will have a look for one of those kits elsewhere; either on here or at a show perhaps. 

Thanks for advising me of the kit.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Caution!

I had build this kit. 

BTW, it was a nightmare!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/42301818401/in/dateposted/

These models are resin copies from the old BW-models.

Heavy overpriced and the markings and schemes are most fictional.

I'm happy that the Salamander is now in my stash.

modelldoc

Thank you very much for that kind offer, however the distance from Somerset would be just too much nowadays.  To put it into perspective, imagine the conversation from swmbo on the way up....  "and why are we going all this way?" :blah:  Then, on the way back......  "remind me again, why did we go all that way?" :lalala:

Mike

• 1 year later...
On 04/07/2019 at 16:21, dcrfan said:

Hi all, it's me again. 

I found this vehilce on the web and I have printed it.  It looks like the vehicle on the right in the above photo but can anyone confirm that? 

Also, can it be completed as an airfield refueller, where any built on this chassis?

spacer.png

If not a refueller, could it have any other use at an airport or air base in UK?  I'm looking for ideas for my airfield dioramas.

cheers,

Mike

I think on the picture is 7-ton crane FV11003  (AEC / Coles L 96404-7), so the truck is an AEC Militant. Unfortunately the Militant was not used as a refuller..

For that you need a Bedford or Leyland.

modelldoc 

Edited by modelldoc