Pre-War KLM DC-3 in 1/72

John

I'm looking to build a model of KLM's Pre-War DC-3 PH-ASR "ROEK" as it would have appeared in the Summer of 1939, so natural metal overall with predominantly black markings.

It's quite a bit different from the C-47 derived kits that dominate the market, specifically in the engines and passenger door placement, so I'm interested in any thoughts on the best way to proceed. 

I seem to recall that Italeri had a civil boxing with KLM markings but the plastic was C-47. 

Suggestions gratefully received. 

John 

You will need the Flightpath Cyclone engines at least. KLM DC-3s had the passenger door on the starboard side, so that's a modification you'll have to make to whichever kit you use - AFAIK there's no aftermarket for that, but it's a pretty simple scribing job unless you want to open the door. Other than that, you're good to go. I've got one on the way at the moment, using the new Airfix C-47 as the base.

If you want to put some seats in it don't wonder about if you could use the esci KLM kit as this is a totally different layout.

The Roek has a 21 seat layout with 1 row on the starboard side and 2 rows at the port side..

Cockpit interior is predominantly black on prewar DC3's

And do what the Admiral told you and then you are good to go.

https://www.vintagepostersnyc.com/p/klm_douglas_dc_5924.html

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36

Thanks for the input. I think I have a set of DB Resin (remember them?) cowlings somewhere that were laid down years ago against my getting round to this project with an Italeri DC-3.

This is the beast herself at Grangemouth on July 1st 1939, parked about 200 metres from where my desk is today:

PH-ASR.jpg

John

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John said:

I'm looking to build a model of KLM's Pre-War DC-3 PH-ASR "ROEK" as it would have appeared in the Summer of 1939, so natural metal overall with predominantly black markings.

I think the pre-War KLM markings were a very dark blue, not black.......apart from the upper wing registrations which were orange. At least, those were the colours used on the DC-2s and the DC-3s look similar.

Hi Chris,

I also have plans to build a pre-war KLM DC-3. I've already purchased a Flightpath engine set, as Admiral Puff suggested, and will be using the A-Model Li2 kit. This has the passenger door on the correct (for this version) starboard side. However, it being an A-Model kit, it will probably fight back when I try to build it :-).

For the decals I'm using Flevo Decals set FV72030 - 'KLM Douglas DC-3 Dakota from 1936 to 1940'.

Looking forward to your build!

Peter

21 hours ago, John said:

Flightpath do the Thompson in 1/72:

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17997&cat=246&page=2

The actual example in the photo still exists. It was acquired by BP when the airfield closed in the 1950s and used around their Grangemouth petrochemical complex.

The Li-2's a good idea.

John

Just a quick note - this kit is currently out of production pending re-release with some extra parts for options to 'civilianise' it a little. Need to do this for my own purposes too - for a Bristol Mk.32 Superfreighter display [childhood memories - and yes, I know nostalgia isn't what it used to be!].

Regards to All

David Parkins

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am am going to build two pre war DC-3's. One with P&W engines and moved door to the starboard side. The other will have Cyclone engines but with the door on the port side.

The Passenger interior from the Esci kit is of little use in this build as it have a 2+2 seat configuration. My solution is using the interior from a H0 railroad passenger wagon:   https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/dc-3-interior-t491594.html.  A problem that I have to solve is that the pre war DC-3 had a different landing gear and I want to incorporate this.

I managed to rebuild it on my 1/48 Monogram kit:  http://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/gig/dc3.html  and I hope to do it in 1/72 even though it is much smaller.

Another thing to look for is the air intake on the nose.