German aircraft paint primer ?

Thanks Graham I did a Google search and looked up the two names you referenced. I was able to find the books you refer too. Sadly one is available for $400.00 dollars at amazon. Just a wee bit outside my $ budget. If you do get a chance to look the information up i would greatly appreciate that. Specifically Junkers colors ? If they used a form of RLM02 then im good. If not will have to mix just about anything else. 

Dennis 

There are a couple older threads from last year that describe some time in 1940, Luftwaffe colours were formulated to be robust enough to no longer need primer, and were painted directly onto metal. 

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JackG said:

There are a couple older threads from last year that describe some time in 1940, Luftwaffe colours were formulated to be robust enough to no longer need primer, and were painted directly onto metal

Thank you Jack ... Yes i read those threads. If that truly is the case then I am happy to go the no primer route. However my thoughts  still angle to late in the war when production was being hampered quite regularly by Allied bombing. I was wondering if the primerless paints wouldn't have also been affected ? Thus causing companies to go back to the earlier types. For example the Me. 262 production specifically the bare metal ones captured at wars end. They had both putty in a yellow/green color and certain parts painted in RLM02 ? Yet to my knowledge Me. 262’s never used RLM02 as a camouflage color ?

So my assumption being that it was a primer coat ? Again its just a nagging thought. Im trying to prepare my Stuka build for paint. I really want to get the weathering right. I plan on doing some chipping along walk ways, maintenance areas, and leading edge. Wouldnt want to find out after that i needed a primer coat over the bare metal before my camouflage ?  

Dennis

I've been looking through Merrick and Ullmann, but it is very difficult to summarise the many pages, some of which are copies of the German originals and I have little idea just what is being referred to.  However, here's a few highlights.

The removal of undercoats/primers was from November 1941, but exceptions included tropicalised aircraft and seaplanes..

Before then a first coat was required, but not of any specified colour.    Photos show Ju87Bs being built where the assembled fuselage and wings are still in a green-tinged zinc chromate primer (a more metallic finish than the yellow ZC most of us will be familiar with).

Subcontracted parts came prepainted in 02.    e.g engine cowlings and tailplane struts.

More generally, parts made from different materials were painted in different lacquers - the presence of 02 on the Me262 and other late-war aircraft almost certainly implies the use of steel, I suggest, but other materials are possible.

Where a colour is mentioned other than top coat camouflage, it is usually 02.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1