MAZ-543 & SCUD-B (1/72 Toxso)

aking a break from Aircraft with this quite nicely done kit. I have to thank Joseph Rocamora for sharing the images of his build, and Prime Portal for a very handy walkaround (which shows quite a number of details that need to be added or improved upon). I bought some Tankograd wheels with a more accurate tread pattern and better detail etc. and have been adding a bit of extra detail here and there. The next two post (two because of the ten-image upload limit) show progress so far. I'm thinking of doing an Iranian machine based on a colour profile in Osprey New Vanguard #120. 

DQfzWGJ.jpg

8jk5y94.jpg

02hycwX.jpg

vyFdb9r.jpg

xHCGHRJ.jpg

775JbQi.jpg

KbWhyi1.jpg

xB0czDE.jpg

iCc630S.jpg

IVdf3TT.jpg

0TQurX7.jpg

qRcklYP.jpg

xVwhdFw.jpg

5mEOnQN.jpg

DfDljcA.jpg

HFL5lNq.jpg

soPcLSL.jpg

7DxC0wo.jpg

Xn2vj5u.jpg

yXNIKh5.jpg

UuXEybd.jpg

ozKXEQ4.jpg

0PqauIH.jpg

2zpEgzS.jpg

Base coat on...

oj4cHYS.jpg

Rsmo4Oy.jpg

uBCV8G8.jpg

Gb4ozNK.jpg

TYs3hz1.jpg

473gTZ8.jpg

Bit more progress with cab assembled and camo splotches applied. There's still a long way to go, not so much with assembling parts as there're not many left: three ladders, driving mirrors, stabilising legs and of course wheels. Bu in terms of details, washes, and weathering there's still a lot to do. I still have to make exhaust pipes, refine mirrors, scratch-build the roof-mounted light and its protective cage I cut away, add a telescoping antenna to the cab, make various lifting eyes and hand-holds, and figure out the octopus that is the missile control and monitoring wiring harness. I also have to mount the doors once I fix their glass in place. The elephant in the room is the heap of hydraulic piping that runs in the belly of the beast beneath the missile cradle. The kit appears to be inaccurate here, as the area around the cradle erection hydraulic ram is open to the ground through the chassis, whereas the kit has a curved floor and no see-through.  So this will be my excuse for being representative rather than replicative with piping etc.

file.php?id=2874&mode=view

bXSFQQt.jpg

AOAksG1.jpg

q4FCnHG.jpg

701wZIp.jpg

1Yv6hAX.jpg

• Like 4

I did some representative, as opposed to replicative, hydraulic lines and a little wiring. It's based on (influenced by) photos and drawings, and I feel serves to busy things up and add interest. Still needs a coat of matte clear to kill the shine from super-glue. Very fiddly and frustrating to bend and fix in place. I still have to run lines for on the inside faces of the erecter cradle, and detail the steering hydraulics and bits and pieces under the cab.

r179zWL.jpg

M1U5F4R.jpg

jgHXG1H.jpg

HkLsa7I.jpg

• Like 3

I have done some more lines today, in fact, I've basically finished the plumbing except for the clamps at the front end of the missile erecter-cradle. The real one has more pipes than I have done, but to add more to the model would start to make t look too cluttered.

UYGC8NE.jpg

sZB8xK2.jpg

M0QQAVr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Thanks Francis.

I made more progress today after checking Joseph Rocamora's build-log reminded me I had forgotten to shave off some lifting-eyes and hand-holds and replace them with wire items bent to shape. Believe me, this would have been easier before fitting the missile's erection-cradle in place (as would have the earlier plumbing I added!)...

HyvOSVs.jpg

dmeKx5r.jpg

gfGlZS5.jpg

WRpmG50.jpg

PXZnZcD.jpg

w9ndsmi.jpg

brXpkSa.jpg

ekGL2KT.jpg

514v7mX.jpg

yGK8IwV.jpg

oOYPq5p.jpg

McvYn09.jpg

• Like 3

A major step today as I put the wheels on, so now it looks like a vehicle. I also made some mud-flaps for the rear wheels as per photos.

FRfCuY4.jpg

I decided to Dremel out the solid kit headlights and fill them with clear epoxy:

OOaWs28.jpg

5EhRedJ.jpg

I had earlier made a steel hawser from lead wire to replace the kit example, but on checking photos I saw this was smooth rope or strop, possibly a stretchy kinetic example, so I made one from thicker lead wire as it was easier to do so than clean up the kit part's sprue gates. I also painted in the side lights set within the bumper.

f0SpaF0.jpg

EpTmTsr.jpg

D6u0GwK.jpg

7y9JafB.jpg

cFWLoW4.jpg

• Like 2

I'm thinking about adding crew figures setting the SCUD up. Ideally, I need Iranian troops - Can anyone please suggest the best options to approximate the correct uniforms and head-gear style and a source for suitable 1/72 figure? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Thanks John,

It's kind of grown a sI went along, originally it was to be OOB! I could have planned things much better as it would have made the build easier, but I'm happy with it anyway.

• Like 1

This is really outstanding work! I really appreciate the excellent comments you made as you went through your build. Your posts will serve as one of the best resources for a future SCUD B build in any scale!

Have fun modeling

Mike

🍻

A lot of frustration and not much progress.The kit's spotlight and its protective cage is a solid lump of plastic looking like an English cop's traditional helmet. I cut this off and made a new spotlight from carved and sanded sprue, Dremeled out the reflector, and added a clear epoxy lens. I made a cage from extremely fine wire for scale effect but found my tweezers kept bending it out of shape. After 3 hours I pulled it off and made the cage from some thicker wire in about 40 minutes (the one in the photo below). This, however, is too chunky and should fix to the top of the raised disk, not the side. Right now, I'm 95% sure I'll pull it off and have another go tomorrow. 

ouWisIV.jpg

I also had pesky seam issues with the missile, plus some paint problems. I ended painting and stripping it back to bare plastic twice, and masked the white stripes three timesing. It's just sat in place for the photo below, and has yet to lightly weathered and highlighted. Once that's done I can fix it to the launcher and start to add the myriad of wires required to launch the missile.

YmZP81a.jpg

My apologies for the poor focus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pdsvidioman said:

What a great build !. I have one of these stashed somewhere so now I have an excellent resource to build it with . Very many thanks for sharing. Paul

7 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A comprehensive assembly for a super-small model, you should have a very good view yet 🤩, and great skill of course....:popcorn:

Cheers mate 👍

Thanks guys, glad it is of interest.

Some real progress to share today - the SCUD is fitted, plumbed and wired for launch. I also remade the spotlight cage for the third time. It'snow more correct in size, but still overscale in appearance. I almost think it would look better with just the spotlight and no cage, so fine are the bars on the real thing. Taking a break to have a fresh start tomorrow on fitting the doors and rear vision mirrors (plus fix the bent antenna I've just noticed).

Bm2Qryz.jpg

dV9gcW8.jpg

ee8TyTm.jpg

3MFRihs.jpg

xjRxlPQ.jpg

mS1vLIa.jpg

mYfmmK4.jpg

Kxzjs5z.jpg

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Add an image
  • Like 1

Model is finished other than for checking and fixing any obvious faults I've missed until now, plus I plan to put it on a simple base. I've found this to be an enjoyable and satisfying project.  I'll post better photos of the model on its base in a few days time.

My thanks to all those who have shown an interest in the build and provided help with references etc

CP4Sjab.jpg

lN81knY.jpg

2dJOdp3.jpg

Ip9uYJz.jpg

wTiZPy3.jpg

qTw4guf.jpg

CP4Sjab.jpg

• Like 1