RAF 100- Eurofighter and Spitfire

RAF 100-

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIa and Eurofighter Typhoon FGR.4

DSC_0364_2.jpg

Hi everyone,

With the exam season drawing to a close, it's almost time to jump back into a bit of modelling! (note that I said "almost time"!- these kits were completed before the exams began).

So, what about the kits?

Spitfire: This model came from the Airfix 1:72 BBMF gift set (Lancaster and two Spitfires). I haven't previously done many Spitfires as I have always preferred fast jets (I'm sorry! :P ) but I can admit that there is a certain elegance to the aircraft that some modern aircraft are certainly lacking.

As for the kit; despite its deep-ish panel lines and its one-piece canopy I think the Airfix kit holds it own. I had to resort to cutting the front section of the canopy off and using a bit of clear plastic packaging to create the sliding portion, in addition to that I cut away the cockpit door and added a few bits of plasticard to spruce up the cockpit a little bit. A smidgen of filler later, a lick of paint and a touch of paint later and here she is.

DSC_0343_2.jpg

DSC_0351_2.jpg

DSC_0349_2.jpg

DSC_0356_2.jpg

DSC_0357_2.jpg

Weathering for the Spit (as used on the Typhoon too) primarily consisted of a wash with Ultimate Modelling Product's dark grey wash and a mix of pastel paints (silver paint was used on the Spit to add a little bit more weathering.

Now, onto the next one:

Typhoon:

DSC_0314_2.jpg

DSC_0317_2.jpg

DSC_0319_2.jpg

DSC_0338_2.jpg

DSC_0339_2.jpg

DSC_0340_2.jpg

Not much needs to be said about this kit- apart from a bit more filler was required (particularly around the wing-fuselage join and on the fuel tanks). The cockpit details on this kit (when one cleans up the small amount of flash) are quite nice indeed, and more than adequate for a 1:72 kit.

-The decals used for this kit were from an Xtradecal "RAF and RN Update 2014-2015 Pt.1" sheet; some of the finest decals that I have ever had the pleasure of using, they settle down onto the plastic surface exceptionally well.

Edit: I completely forgot- I added the rivets (?) by hand using a metal compass point, just to add a bit more detail.

Conclusion

Overall, these two kits spanning the majority of the RAF's history were a pleasure* to build and I can highly recommend both.

*(Pleasure= I have had some prior experience with Revell Typhoons before, so my use of the word "pleasure" is subjective: there are a few shortfalls in the kit (flash, some minor fuselage join issues and panel lines of varying depth but I can't recall these standing out as major problems. It is quite possible that having been through a few of these, I have just gotten used to its flaws? Or maybe it is a case of my positive view of the aircraft overshadowing the problems with the kit?)

DSC_0313_2.jpg

DSC_0367_3.jpg

DSC_0369_2.jpg

Thanks for having a look! :)

Best wishes,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Cracking pair, I assume that’s the old Revell tool, which I’ve surprised to here was fun to build as your a fan of self torture (and the new tool isn’t much better) 

Thanks, I think it's a case of loving the subject as well as the kit (and I've been through 3 Eurofighters (one "new" tool, two old)) so I have become used to some of its flaws I suppose- which could have inadvertently led to a bit of bias on my part.

I'll add a short note underneath the comment to clarify :P

Edited by cathasatail

2 hours ago, cathasatail said:

Thanks, I think it's a case of loving the subject as well as the kit (and I've been through 3 Eurofighters (one "new" tool, one old)) so I have become used to some of its flaws I suppose- which could have inadvertently led to a bit of bias on my part.

I'll add a short note underneath the comment to clarify :P

True, I share your love of the subject, probably why I have avoided binning both of the new tools I’ve built, recently, perhaps I should have a go at the old one again, though I do have a new tool sans canopy  in the stash....