Albatros D.Va, Hans Von Hippel, Jasta 5 (Valom kit)

Finished Valom Albatros.

This is my first build of a Valom kit, I don't think this is as good as the others available after studying parts, the kit engine was massively oversized like a church organ. Lots of adjustments had to be made.

I will add this to a base but I want to learn static grass to make a good base.beable.jpg2ag46lj.jpg2ajs8ie.jpg

• Like 26

Really attractive Albatros and kudos for rigging it in 1/144, you must have excellent eyesight and a very steady hand.

Rigging a 1/144th Great War biplane must be the quintessential definition of masochism…

And I thought that it looked quite OK for a 1/72nd! I doff my hat to your amazing feat.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Stunning work especially at that scale. I had also assumed it was 1/72nd, incredible for 1/44th. 

I love the colours of great war aircraft, especially German.

Thank you for the encouraging words everyone, much appreciated.

Regarding the rigging, I find at this scale any flexible rigging would be impossible to fix correctly (I.e thread or elastic types) so I used very stiff molybdenum wire (0.1mm) you can cut pieces to length and glued at either end they look fairly taught.

Molybdenum wire is naturally a gold colour so I pull it through some polyurethane primer in order to colour it.

This model was somewhat of a trial-run to test out new techniques so I hope to build to a higher standard for my next build. I am likely to build a Fokker E.III next.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

I am likely to build a Fokker E.III next.

Very much looking forward to it!  

Regarding the molybdenum wire...I am a big fan of Ethicon stainless steel 'thread'.  It is used to sew up open chests after cardiac surgery.  

measure and snip.  I glue it on using white glue.

Incredible! Old fumble fingers here can't rise to the challenge if 1/72 scale so much admiration for your patience and skills. Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing. I’m doing their Se5a at the moment and have no expectation it will turn out half as good as this. Beautifully painted and finished - such a clean finish given all the refinements you made. A triumph. Thanks for showing us. 

Ps I did rig a Gladiator in elastic thread in 144 once. It very nearly did kill me off. Might have to look up some of this rod stuff...

• 2 months later...