1973 Alpine A110 1600SC

Hi,

In the early seventies the Alpine A110 was my unfulfilled dream, and still it is one of my all-time favourites. It has everything that a real sports car should have IMO: small, light, powerful, challenging to drive - in its days the A110 was a brute street-legal racer for the sturdy masochist.

Unfortunately most modern sports cars have lost what made sports cars so attractive until say the eighties.

The A110 was built from 1963 to 1977. Since Renault took over the independent Alpine company by and by during the seventies the later A110 versions were sold as Alpine Renaults. Tamiya's kit replicates a late A110 with a double wishbone rear suspension and a 1.6 litre 140 HP carburettor engine (really sufficient output for less than 800kg).

IMO Tamiya's reputation of making perfect kits is not always justfied, but here it is. As far as I remember there were no issues and the result replicates the 1:1 Alpine perfectly.

My old instruction sheet says that the kit was released in 1997. I suppose as a true Alpine fan I built my model not much later.

Of course my model had to be blue metallic since this was Alpine's racing colour.

comp_Alpine001130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine002130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine003130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine004130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine005130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine006130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine007130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine008130-vi.jpg
comp_Alpine009130-vi.jpg

Edited by Plastheniker
  • Like 30

Thanks for the comments!

On 5/23/2018 at 4:19 PM, bhouse said:

Excellent. That is one of the best scale metallic finishes I've seen.

For standard paintworks I usually spray 1k automotive paints.

For metallics I use exclusively Humbrol enamels.

Here it was a mixture of Humbrol #52 Baltic Blue Metallic and appr. 5% of some bright red metallic in order to remove the slightly green tinge of #52. No primer, no clear coat, no polish or wax.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2018 at 21:21, Plastheniker said:

Here it was a mixture of Humbrol #52 Baltic Blue Metallic and appr. 5% of some bright red metallic in order to remove the slightly green tinge of #52. No primer, no clear coat, no polish or wax.

Really a GREAT job !!!  👏

Ciao.

Davide

• 1 year later...

I can hardly reply because I'm dribbling. I go back a long way with these - Scottish Rally 1971, Cardona Forest - "what the h*** was that". Soon, hopefully, I will set about the Tamiya Monte version with Gotto 6 spoke wheels and decals. I've got a half finished "street" version, but never finished it as wheels are wrong for a road version, e.g. four wheel nuts, not three. However, very well done.