1/12 Suzuki RGB500 - Team Gallina

Hi All,

Yet another build rescued from the shelf of doom...

I started on this in the late 80s (!), and it's been on and off the work-bench ever since.

I finally decided that it needs a fair crack of the whip, so here it is.

First the picture of the box top:

y4mrHaqQBC3r-k4kKV3A0xge1u4Fss77gtTEkcSq

Still a tasty little beastie, I think.

The decals all seem OK still. Not something that I have found with all 30 year old kits, Tamiya included...

So, this was where it had been left for a very long time...

y4mQG_bbq8L_LGEhtPbUaLQ5tbSjuS7aGutduHZ5

y4mlkPo_kmbefoy7F29RY_uamk1OBwCaAAxx2-0A

y4mUwVhzQyZgFkWFDNA26AB_8C-G6aDRm-Rgthfr

The frame should be gloss black, but the eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that it's somewhat non-glossy. I decided I thought it looked better in satin black, so that's what I did!

So, the next stage was the rear wheel:

y4mRK0s7NFJxDXW_H9IceG_7_r8KkSZ1KMhCIFhT

A bit closer:

y4mSHt9PQDd99zLr5pcMOhoDw66mQ6AdJbj3wuNS

The only real issue I had here was getting the inside half of the brake calliper in, but after a bit of fiddling with a pair of tweezers, it just popped into place nicely.

The chain has to be threaded through the swing-arm. There's a small slot that allows you to do that. Once the other half of the swing-arm is cemented to the first bit, the slot is closed.

Next, the swing-arm installed:

y4m6_PD07porhBQ9B-_uhDfY05b6XftXOG7Z0X3p

y4mwOlYLaYFRDTgmKw9o3iJYxtei3fljLR1_Ywxx

y4mhTZv5jWd2adY79Y7GilEDE9MJzQlDaFSG90sR

y4m2pXOpPaQvuShUFuiDkLYCA8FQO41_MClNZ07L

When you install the bolt that holds the swing-arm onto the frame, a small pip on the drive sprocket pops into a hole on the gear-box casing, making everything quite sturdy.

The next stage was to install the carburettors and the exhausts. Kind of symmetrical that, inlet and outlet... :)

y4mF7ocmV1ce5wlQXSnSwXNB0DDrn-ENq9JB0k7H

y4mqTDVTbs31Dl-uvkewZ3rqyxKb84DjmQnYoDnC

y4mCFu-szZK1aLtjQRh5zdWkUqAkMVbKxrrlTP0_

y4m3P0WwX78TfudgggDJXIcctGTAQ8uVsurhd8XT

Since the real bike has throttle cables that disappear under the tank, I decided that I should attempt to replicate them. They'll just disappear under the tank on completion. Also, I'll need to fabricate the throttle cable from the throttle on the handlebars as well.

The exhausts are moulded with a huge void around the back, where in theory, it won't be seen. Because I am a fussy sort (A bit OCD !), I decided to fill them in so that the void became invisible. After a lot of filling with scrap plastic, Milliput and Squadron white putty, a hell of a lot of sanding to get the profile right, they came out quite well, I think. I just wish I had taken pictures at the time!!! Another fiddly job was to thread the rear exhaust pipes into the rear cylinder exhaust outlets. But with a bit of twisting they popped into place perfectly, and they then lined up with the support brackets on the frame.

I have made quite a lot of progress, mostly on the front-end, but haven't uploaded the pictures yet.

More soon....

Thanks for looking, Alan.

• Like 5

Hey Alan

Does the kit allow you to build the Rossi version (Valentino’s dad)?

Got the Robert’s Yamaha on my shelf to do.

Tony

14 hours ago, Mumbly said:

Does the kit allow you to build the Rossi version (Valentino’s dad)?

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure. My knowledge of bike riders and their bikes from those days (mid 80s, I guess) is a little hazy.

I know that this was a version of the Tamiya RGB500 with different decals, like this:

y4mvRcJpARKkYyxuXy5I8IunswW5RgI7cUsciM_S

so it's entirely possible that with the right decals you can do that.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I know that this is about-face, but I finally found the images for the initial phase of this build. So, here they are:

The frame and engine

y4mfyHXvjxAVZCFgaDmtlHoG9JWGgSOpdkoJ89B0

The carburettors:

y4mw7prvztHafBxMiElW63lDxr2E1sWx97z097MQ

Only painted in a mix of aluminium and gold here.

The exhausts, filled and primed:

y4mZEFNwO4tcrQt476jq-7W5C7ptTpOsF7RPGCAQ

Almost where we started this thread...

y4miMXWDAN9UEWXZjkDqtyA4OrELwaN4-wHVz1gW

That's all folks.

Thanks for looking, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Minor typos
  • Like 3

morning all, tony,rossi was lucky's team mate on this bike but used no.22 or 20,numbers differed from race to race only certain riders kept their "lucky number",so you can use the decals except name on screen

Willie

• 7 months later...

A nice build coming along there Alan, good work. I like it when people show attention to detail, like your throttle cables going under the tank, and filling in the voids in the pipes, excellent stuff.

Regards Ian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

Great stuff. Takes me back. 

I've got the "other" RGB500 kit in my stash. I keep looking at it wondering if I can convert it anywhere close to Sheene's '77 bike..

W-D 

Hi Wonky...Studio 27 did a conversion set a while ago for the Barry Sheene machine...hard to find but worth it! 😉

mark D

Interesting - I thought their conversion was for Sheene's '79 bike (also in the black texaco/heron scheme), not the' 77 championship bike which was white based (which I think was technically a RGA500). The nava/fiat kit Alan is building would be a better starting point really (has 5 spokes, not 3 for example). 

There was a heller kit of the '77 machine I think but unfortunately it's made of unobtanium, sadly.. 

Anyway, sorry for the hijack Alan! 

W-D