Real Aeroplane Company Radial Engine Fly-In - May 6th

The Breighton Radial Fly-In was my first camping trip of 2018. Unusually for a bank holiday, the forecast was for hot and dry, and I made the three hour trip down to Breighton on Saturday 5th, in shirt sleeves with the Jeep doors off. I set up camp near one of the old wartime technical site huts. There were a number of people already flying, enjoying the beautiful weather. As the evening drew on, and the sun went down, I took the opportunity to get some pictures of the Jeep around the airfield.

breighton_radial_03.jpg

breighton_radial_07.jpg

On Sunday morning, I helped the guys get the collection aircraft out onto the flight line. Here's four of the Real Aero collection, two Bucker Jungmanns, a Bucker Jungmeister and the Ryan PT-22 Recruit that I flew two years ago.

breighton_radial_09.jpg

Most of the rest of the collection were lined up outside the hangars. A few aircraft were undergoing maintenance, such as the Broussard, Arrow Active 2 and Yak18a, and they were left inside. Once the aircraft were all on display, I brought my Jeep around to its usual spot by the tower. In addition to the aircraft, the Bristol Hercules and Rolls Royce Merlin aircraft engines were there and made a number of runs across the day.

breighton_radial_10.jpg

• Like 3

I took around 800 photographs across the weekend, thinned down to around 600, and obviously can't show them all, so for a number of aircraft, I made some compilations to get more images into a single picture. To start with, I'll show some of the radial engined aircraft that are either based at Breighton or flew in for the day.

Focke-Wulf Fw 44 Stieglitz

breighton_radial_14.jpg

Ryan PT-22 Recruit

breighton_radial_15.jpg

Stearman PT-17 Kaydet

breighton_radial_16.jpg

Morane-Saulnier MS.317

breighton_radial_17.jpg

• Like 2

There were many non-radial powered aircraft that were there too, and a large number of rare and unusual types that are Breighton based or came along for the day.

RAF dH Chipmunk

breighton_radial_22.jpg

Miles Magister

breighton_radial_23.jpg

Royal Navy dH Chipmunk

breighton_radial_24.jpg

Scheibe Falke motor glider

breighton_radial_25.jpg

Tipsy Junior

breighton_radial_26.jpg

Chilton DW1a

breighton_radial_27.jpg

Dart kitten II

breighton_radial_28.jpg

Luton LA4A Minor

breighton_radial_29.jpg

• Like 3

There were some more modern aircraft, but even some of the more modern looking types are vintage designs, such as the Pitts Special aerobatic biplane which dates back to 1944.

breighton_radial_30.jpg

breighton_radial_31.jpg

breighton_radial_32.jpg

breighton_radial_33.jpg

Hercules & Merlin Aero Engines    

breighton_radial_34.jpg

Bucker Jungmann    

breighton_radial_35.jpg

Taylorcraft Auster J/1N    

breighton_radial_36.jpg

Aeronca 100

breighton_radial_37.jpg

• Like 3

Lovely pictures of some beautiful aeroplanes. Two of my favourites, Hornet Moth and the little Aeronca.

Looks like a great day out, I really must make the effort to go.

• Like 1

It's a members only club due to insurance ( £30 non-flying member ), but they do a pro-rata membership for joining part way through the year. The big Summer Fly-In is their main event on July 21/22nd.

27067390_1821124164564243_76951144505542

• Like 1

Some very nice pics. And... very pretty little aeroplanes.!! Love the rarities like the Piper Apache and Tipsy Nipper.  All are very nice though. Thanks!

• Like 1