Trumpeter 1/25 Spitfire Vb

Probably a few know that I managed to pick up this Trumpeter 1/25 Spitfire Vb for the princely sum of £10.  My son was at his friends when he noticed it in the garage, his Dad had had a go at it it and given up.

The news was relayed to me and I offered a tenner for it which he accepted. I'll be honest something of this magnitude is far beyond my limited capabilities as a modelling returnee but I only got it because.......well £10. 

Anyway upon checking it out it was obvious that some progress had been made by the anonymous gent, he had assembled the cockpit, painted it mostly reddish brown (!) and lost the gun sight and joystick. 😟

I have bashed on regardless and to be honest have found it very difficult with this level of detail but we'll see how it goes.

I have over painted the cockpit interior in the proper colour and spent hours on it for what looks like a very limited return. I have painted the guns and assembled the rudder using a rod and those tiny hinges, talk about fiddly!

Anyway I have never been in this part of the forum before so I thought I'd post a pic of how I am getting on and hopefully a few more (if it all goes together) as I go on.

It's not the usual quality you get around here but I'm jumping in at the deep end!

Any criticism will be gratefully accepted.

This is how it looks at the moment...

DSCN3057.jpg

DSCN3059.jpg

• Like 3

TBH, this was not one of Trumpeter's better 1/24th scale kits but it looks like you are making good progress on it. The photo-etch metal hinges and metal rod that Trumpeter used to attach the control surfaces in this kit appeared in a number of their other early 1/24 and 1/32 scale kits but were widely regarded as a bad idea even then. Sure, you get movable control surfaces, but they don't move in a realistically coordinated way and the ailerons in particular are both going to droop incorrectly unless the hinges are stiff enough to hold the control surfaces in position. I would ditch the hinges and just glue the control surfaces in place unless you are really set on having them movable. 

The model will be impressive when finished despite the errors that Trumpeter made in its design. Just have fun with it and don't sweat the small stuff.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Thanks 1

Have you ever done this?

A week ago I spent a bit of time trying to paint the gun belts, bullets and trays to look fairly decent which I put away with the other small finished pieces.

When I came to mount the top half of the wings yesterday I realise that they will not be seen at all! 😫

DSCN3060.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work! :)

Seems to happen quite often that details won't be seen once assembled! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

The access panels to the ammunition boxes were in the bottom surface of the wing so the .303 machine guns were re-armed from below. You could open those panels up but you still won't see much.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Of course if youre really crazy you could leave the one wing open, build up the internal framing and call it a cut-away build ? 

I'm having enough trouble putting it together normally! 😬

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The access panels to the ammunition boxes were in the bottom surface of the wing so the .303 machine guns were re-armed from below. You could open those panels up but you still won't see much.

Thanks for the info.

It sure helps if you know your way round the real version of the models we build.