Supermarine Southampton

Martian

Hi Guys, its the mad Martian here again, in need of assistance. After many years trying, I have finally managed to secure one of the kits on by bucket list at a sensible price. The kit is the Contrail Supermarine Southampton. I have it in the back of my mind that Aviation news once did some plans for the Southampton. I am aware that the kit is nearer to 1/76 than 1/72 but the plans would at least be a start. Does any kind soul out there have a set that they would be willing to copy for me? I will naturally reimburse any cost involved.

Your Hopefully

Martian 👽

You obviously wanted that vacform more than i did!  I made my bid from a layby as the alarm for the auction rang whilst i was out cycling!  Back to the scratch-building from wood idea, or the resin Silver Wings one, though currently only the less attractive Mk.1 is listed as available (I think the wings on that are wrong too).

Anyway, those drawings and a load more stuff are available at Seawings forum .

Look forward to seeing your rendition of RJ's most beautiful creation.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:01, malpaso said:

👽You obviously wanted that vacform more than i did!  I made my bid from a layby as the alarm for the auction rang whilst i was out cycling!  Back to the scratch-building from wood idea, or the resin Silver Wings one, though currently only the less attractive Mk.1 is listed as available (I think the wings on that are wrong too).

Anyway, those drawings and a load more stuff are available at Seawings forum .

Look forward to seeing your rendition of RJ's most beautiful creation.

Cheers

Will

Sorry Will but yes, I really, really did want that kit. I know there is the Silver Wings kit but it is expensive and I don't like working with resin any more than I can help. I have also had an urge to do a vacform for some time now.

4 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

It is closer to 1/78 but can be made into a decent 1/72 model. PM me your email and I will try and restore the pictures here

and send you a copy of the ModelArt article detailing my build.

Thanks Ed, PM inbound.

Martian 

• 3 weeks later...

Collection of the bits and pieces needed for this build continues. Has anyone any idea where I can get a set of suitable twin bladed propellers from? I have searched the interweb without success but that could well be down to my comparative lack of knowledge of the subject. I also need to source an Aeroclub Scarf mounting if anyone can spare one. Construction can the commence upon completion of my Albatross. A close call for Telford but I intend to give it a bash.

Martian 👽

Martian

Have to love a Supermarine flying boat, for me the Scapa is untouchable. (Though the Saro Cloud does come close!)

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CarLos said:

I encourage you to buy one from Mini World instead. They are fantastic!

https://modelsua.com/Lewis-Mk-II-twin-MG-on-the-scarf-ring.html

Good plan Carlos! I have duly ordered three of them to preserve the continuity of the build.

Martian 👽