Grumman Avenger Mk 6

Nigel Bunker

Does anybody make the elongated canopy that replaced the turret on the Avenger Mk 6? I would like to make one of theses in 1/72 scale but would sooner buy a canopy rather than go through the trials of making moulds and burning fingers. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Nigel - Freightdog did an ECM6 conversion kit but I suspect it may not be available anymore. However PM me if interested as I have one and will probably never get round to using it.

Pat

Nigel,

I looked through my Falcon vacform canopy sets and they did not make one for the TBM-3S in either scale. I don't recall seeing any aftermarket canopy for the Mk6/-3S, either. Hasegawa just released a special limited edition for their version of the ASW Avenger, but it does not have the same style canopy as the one I think you need- plus it's horribly overpriced. IIRC, @Tailspin Turtle had photos and text of Avengers with the revised canopy on one of his blogs- if he sees this, he might be able to help. From photos, it appears there were at least three variations of the canopy- one having a tall hump/blister at the top. Looks like you're going to have to make a master, using the front and middle of the standard canopy and then adding the new rear section, and vacforming one...don't envy you that task! I have posted a link to text and photos of some Canadian Avengers with the revised canopy fitted to them. I think TT's blog had better photos, and a search for TBM-3S images might get you some better photos of the canopy. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but good luck, as the version you want to build is very different and distinctive in appearance.

Mike

https://nbavengers.com/military-origins-us-and-canadian-navy-avengers/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pat C said:

Nigel - Freightdog did an ECM6 conversion kit but I suspect it may not be available anymore. 

The Freightdog Avenger ECM.6 was only available for about a nanosecond: I was lucky enough to get one of the first ones to percolate out at one of the Nats.

Magna did a conversion set for (IIRC) the AS.4, AS.5 and maybe the ECM.6 which included the canopy and various bits and bobs like radomes and flare racks but, even if you can find one, I wouldn't bank on its being of an acceptable standard for use nowadays.

• Like 1

The Freightdog conversion is the only one that I was aware of, and I'm desperate to get hold of one as I really want to do an AS.6.

I have messaged Freightdog a few times to see if they will release this kit again.

One thing that is worth noting here, though the canopy arrangement is generally similar to the TBM-3S2 it isn't quite the same, if you want the look then the Hasegawa kit will suffice, but if you're fussy you will need to adjust the framing.

The Avenger AS.6 canopy was further modified for the ECM role, as 72modeller says.

There are some nice options for the -3S2, such as Canadian (Inc their mad ECM version!), Dutch, French, Brazilian and Japanese Navies.

And, if anyone else here has the Freightdog conversion available, I would be truly grateful! 

Edited by 71chally

It might be worth asking Freightdog if they have any left.  I seem to remember asking if they had any Spitfire PR.XI conversions left and, low and behold, they went and re-released it!