IAC vampire T11 pilots suit and aircraft scheme

TOPGUN88

Im building an airfix T11 with decals to make it into an Irish Air Corps Aircraft from print scale. The aircraft is no 187 an all silver aircraft. I was wondering if the aircraft ever got the later orange/red added to it in the end and if anyone knows what colour the pilots suits were. Ive seen a photo of a silver and orange airfix machine with the helmets being orange. Is this accurate?

• Like 1

I haven't seen a photo yet either. Doesn't mean it didn't happen but safe enough to leave them off. 

Btw, those printscale tricolour bosses look a bit "off", try to get hold of a Max Decals set if you can.

Edited by roym
  • Like 1

Roym funny enough I have the maxdecal sheet but in aberdeen. Moved down to perth just recently. Any idea what the pilots suits colour, helmets were 😀 

Edited by TOPGUN88

8 minutes ago, TOPGUN88 said:

Roym funny enough I have the maxdecal sheet but in aberdeen. Moved down to perth just recently. Any idea what the pilots suits colour, helmets were 😀 

The flying kit was standard RAF so blue grey flying suit silver Mk.1 helmet with blue gray or green cloth helmet. I'l take a look at my photos to see what I have re tanks.

John

Not the best photo in the world but a group of IAC Vampire crew having a pre flight briefing, you can just see the rocket rails under the wing. I have, or think I have a photo of an IAC T.11 firing rockets over the range. I've not found one yet with tanks but thinking about it they would be largely unnecessary given the size of the Republic and even flying to the UK would need no external fuel, plus the extra FAG index, that not to say they never did, but it must have been rare. AS for colours, they had red and later dayglow in the standard RAF style.vAmvrj.jpg

John       

Edited by canberra kid
spelling :)

Hi john. Thats brilliant thanks. I remember seeing someone do a model with the helmets being dayglo. Wasnt sure if they were just made up or no. 

James 

Is that at Collin's baracks? She was hanging from the roof last time I saw her. 

16 minutes ago, Irish 251 said:

I've never seen a photo of an Irish Vampire in service with underwing tanks.  However the preserved serial 185 does carry them now.

De Havilland DH 115 Vampire T 55 n° 15775 ~ 185

It's dayglo, that very vivid very bright orange red. It also faded very badly on the upper surfaces just like on RAF aircraft..  But there is a picture of 187 with unfaded dayglow around 1970 so obviously repainted recently.

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

The flying kit was standard RAF so blue grey flying suit silver Mk.1 helmet with blue gray or green cloth helmet. I'l take a look at my photos to see what I have re tanks.

John

Silver helmet yes initially but likely to be white towards the end of service but the Air Corps was actually part of the army at the time so very unlikely to be a blue flight suit unless they wore them soon after delivery in the fifties. Any colour photos of Aircrew of the dayglo era show green flight suits.

Edited by noelh

13 hours ago, Irish 251 said:

I've never seen a photo of an Irish Vampire in service with underwing tanks.  However the preserved serial 185 does carry them now.

De Havilland DH 115 Vampire T 55 n° 15775 ~ 185

What a thing of beauty. 

• Like 1