Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Recommended Posts

Hi all, well it's taken me a while to find the time to get some RFI pics of this project, my first ever sea scape, and only my second ever ship model - but we're here now!

 

Having obtained a Revell 1:1200 Titanic kit, I thought it might be fun to do a kind of 'what if' job on it, to show what the Titanic might have looked like had she survived her fateful maiden voyage, and been subsequently pressed into military service with the outbreak of WW1 - just as her sister ships the Britannic and the Olympic had.

 

I guess like many people I have always found the story of the Titanic a compelling one, with new plot twists being uncovered with every passing week it seems. In recent times I also learned of the fate of her sister ships Olympic and Britannic; most notably the Britannic, which was sunk in 1916 by a mine in the Aegean Sea whilst in service as a hospital ship. The Olympic too had her share of incident; although the ship was never sunk, she was badly damaged in a collision with HMS Hawke in 1911. Amazingly, 2 people survived all 3 incidents: John Priest, a stoker, and Violet Jessop, who served as a ship's steward on Olympic and Titanic, and went on to serve as a nurse on the Britannic.

 

I had a lot of fun putting this together; the WIP can be found here for those sufficiently curious. Thanks to all for your comments along the way.

 

Here, then, are some pics of the finished article:
 

27386023777_8828e99b32_b.jpg

 

28383167398_a67caf5ed0_b.jpg

 

27386017227_6d3e7dfc9e_b.jpg

 

28383157158_758a1bf440_b.jpg

 

27386009387_07ba776505_b.jpg

 

42210003102_fa029f69cd_b.jpg

 

41355038325_86af1c35e3_b.jpg

 

42256413911_dd22871000_b.jpg

 

27385997577_9e664ba5ea_b.jpg

 

42256406371_5ae34ef5cc_b.jpg

 

42256400901_db09784391_b.jpg

 

41355013515_611604c5bb_b.jpg

 

Thanks for looking in, comments and criticisms all welcome :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff! 

 

I can see it now, those screen writers never miss a trick. Rose would have been a nurse and Jack an American soldier injured and returning home on board HMHS Titanic. After the ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic they would have clung onto a stretcher only big enough for one of them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course there is a suggestion from some that after her collision with HAWKE, OLYMPIC had such serious damage to her keel that she was in effect uninsurable and so with the White Star line being in serious debt, the conspiracy theorists have put forward the suggestion that nameplates were swapped with TITANTIC.  The evidence is quite compelling: https://social.shorthand.com/TitanicMystery/jCPyIbzzPVc/did-the-titanic-really-sink-or-was-it-Olympic.

 

Either way, great model, especially if it was only your second ship and I particularly like the seascape.  Which technique did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, DAG058 said:

Great stuff! 

 

I can see it now, those screen writers never miss a trick. Rose would have been a nurse and Jack an American soldier injured and returning home on board HMHS Titanic. After the ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic they would have clung onto a stretcher only big enough for one of them...

Yes, Hollywood would be all over this! For a small piece of trivia, I am distantly related (on my mother's side) to one of the survivors: Emily Badman.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, Nick Charnock said:

Very nice Clive, looks great.

 

Cheers

 

Nick

Thanks Nick, most kind.

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Of course there is a suggestion from some that after her collision with HAWKE, OLYMPIC had such serious damage to her keel that she was in effect uninsurable and so with the White Star line being in serious debt, the conspiracy theorists have put forward the suggestion that nameplates were swapped with TITANTIC.  The evidence is quite compelling: https://social.shorthand.com/TitanicMystery/jCPyIbzzPVc/did-the-titanic-really-sink-or-was-it-Olympic.

 

Either way, great model, especially if it was only your second ship and I particularly like the seascape.  Which technique did you use?

Thanks Chewbacca! :)

 

There was another theory that's been gathering pace which I saw on a recent TV documentary - that the ship had set sail with a fire in her coal supplies, and the only way to resolve it was to shovel as much of the coal into the furnaces as possible, with the effect that the ship went through what was a known ice-field at a dangerously high speed. Navigating ice fields in large ships was not a new problem, however the accepted wisdom at the time was to do so with much lower than normal speed. The documentary offered evidence to suggest that having been rescued, Ismay's first telegram back to the White Star board was to instruct them to arrange for all the surviving stokers and trimmers be intercepted at disembarkation, to be immediately repatriated back to the UK so that they did not divulge their experiences to the inquiry into the disaster.

 

Another fascinating plot twist!

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yar9Xm3DNso

 

My technique for the sea scape was derived from various clips on You-Tube. I particular, I found myself referring to this one more than most:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuntDtSWizY

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lovely to see her finished, i have not had much progress on mine for a while, as RL keeps getting in the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:14, clive_t said:

 

My technique for the sea scape was derived from various clips on You-Tube. I particular, I found myself referring to this one more than most:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuntDtSWizY

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for that.  I might give that a try for my next seascape

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×