HMHS Titanic at Sea

Hi all, well it's taken me a while to find the time to get some RFI pics of this project, my first ever sea scape, and only my second ever ship model - but we're here now!

Having obtained a Revell 1:1200 Titanic kit, I thought it might be fun to do a kind of 'what if' job on it, to show what the Titanic might have looked like had she survived her fateful maiden voyage, and been subsequently pressed into military service with the outbreak of WW1 - just as her sister ships the Britannic and the Olympic had.

I guess like many people I have always found the story of the Titanic a compelling one, with new plot twists being uncovered with every passing week it seems. In recent times I also learned of the fate of her sister ships Olympic and Britannic; most notably the Britannic, which was sunk in 1916 by a mine in the Aegean Sea whilst in service as a hospital ship. The Olympic too had her share of incident; although the ship was never sunk, she was badly damaged in a collision with HMS Hawke in 1911. Amazingly, 2 people survived all 3 incidents: John Priest, a stoker, and Violet Jessop, who served as a ship's steward on Olympic and Titanic, and went on to serve as a nurse on the Britannic.

I had a lot of fun putting this together; the WIP can be found here for those sufficiently curious. Thanks to all for your comments along the way.

Here, then, are some pics of the finished article:

0tyxRls.jpg

cXvIiqU.jpg

rENIkc8.jpg

7Rw6SFM.jpg

jnmhXW9.jpg

OJrF03G.jpg

Kf5Vgpi.jpg

toZiVAK.jpg

85K0OZI.jpg

VIF23i2.jpg

M5fHwDH.jpg

VEAIpnV.jpg

Thanks for looking in, comments and criticisms all welcome :)

• Like 21

Great stuff! 

I can see it now, those screen writers never miss a trick. Rose would have been a nurse and Jack an American soldier injured and returning home on board HMHS Titanic. After the ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic they would have clung onto a stretcher only big enough for one of them...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Of course there is a suggestion from some that after her collision with HAWKE, OLYMPIC had such serious damage to her keel that she was in effect uninsurable and so with the White Star line being in serious debt, the conspiracy theorists have put forward the suggestion that nameplates were swapped with TITANTIC.  The evidence is quite compelling: https://social.shorthand.com/TitanicMystery/jCPyIbzzPVc/did-the-titanic-really-sink-or-was-it-Olympic.

Either way, great model, especially if it was only your second ship and I particularly like the seascape.  Which technique did you use?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, DAG058 said:

Great stuff! 

I can see it now, those screen writers never miss a trick. Rose would have been a nurse and Jack an American soldier injured and returning home on board HMHS Titanic. After the ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Atlantic they would have clung onto a stretcher only big enough for one of them...

Yes, Hollywood would be all over this! For a small piece of trivia, I am distantly related (on my mother's side) to one of the survivors: Emily Badman.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, Nick Charnock said:

Very nice Clive, looks great.

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick, most kind.

22 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Of course there is a suggestion from some that after her collision with HAWKE, OLYMPIC had such serious damage to her keel that she was in effect uninsurable and so with the White Star line being in serious debt, the conspiracy theorists have put forward the suggestion that nameplates were swapped with TITANTIC.  The evidence is quite compelling: https://social.shorthand.com/TitanicMystery/jCPyIbzzPVc/did-the-titanic-really-sink-or-was-it-Olympic.

Either way, great model, especially if it was only your second ship and I particularly like the seascape.  Which technique did you use?

Thanks Chewbacca! :)

There was another theory that's been gathering pace which I saw on a recent TV documentary - that the ship had set sail with a fire in her coal supplies, and the only way to resolve it was to shovel as much of the coal into the furnaces as possible, with the effect that the ship went through what was a known ice-field at a dangerously high speed. Navigating ice fields in large ships was not a new problem, however the accepted wisdom at the time was to do so with much lower than normal speed. The documentary offered evidence to suggest that having been rescued, Ismay's first telegram back to the White Star board was to instruct them to arrange for all the surviving stokers and trimmers be intercepted at disembarkation, to be immediately repatriated back to the UK so that they did not divulge their experiences to the inquiry into the disaster.

Another fascinating plot twist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yar9Xm3DNso

My technique for the sea scape was derived from various clips on You-Tube. I particular, I found myself referring to this one more than most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuntDtSWizY

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:14, clive_t said:

My technique for the sea scape was derived from various clips on You-Tube. I particular, I found myself referring to this one more than most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuntDtSWizY

Thanks for that.  I might give that a try for my next seascape

• Like 1