F-14D, Hoppie dabbles in aviation art

hoppie

Hello everybody,

this is my second piece of aviation art, inspired by my anticipation of the AMK f-14D.

It is digital work, done in photoshop with a graphics monitor, the kind you paint on with a pressure sensitive pen, so the process is kind of traditional.

I think it is mostly done, I am still tinkering with the background.

Let me know what you think, I hope you like it :bye:

cheers

40451927080_2343dbbec7_o.jpg

28385180518_dd55c84e91_o.jpg

28385183308_1c01dbfbb8_o.jpg

41537325494_e5db8a279b_o.jpg

• Like 23

I am just knocked out by this! i had no idea that something that looks so close to a traditional, oil painting could be produced digitally. 

Excellent work and thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

45 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I am just knocked out by this! i had no idea that something that looks so close to a traditional, oil painting could be produced digitally. 

Excellent work and thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

Thank you, that is high praise.

I think the key is to not use filters or other tools to try and simulate paint on canvas and instead use a super simple brushtool with the pressure sensitive pen and use only that. Then the process is surprisingly similar to traditional painting.

The digital rendering is very nicely controlled the colours are working very well.

I would however say that as with traditional painting, recession is very important in creating a believable image. The one thing that jumped out at me at first glance was that the far main plane and vertical tail both have the same tonal values as their nearer counterparts. The Tomcat is a large aircraft and the artist could get away with a fair bit of artistic licence is 'knocking' back some features to generate a feeling of depth. Looking at the vertical tails, the viewer 'sees' them as being on the same visual plane and this slightly skews the alignment of the tail. The advantage of digital painting is that it does give the artist extra tools such as filters and effects to assist in controlling the final image I would not be reticent in using them, the traditional artist would, if they felt something wasn't working, possibly paint over part of an image with a transparent mix of sympathetic paint to filter the underlying image.

I hope you don't mind my observations, it is a striking image.

Cheers,

MarkSH:  I do not mind one bit, on the contrary, I am very thankful for any pointers and tips. I am just starting and have lots and lots to learn, my thanks!

Robert and spruecutter96: Well, now I'm blushing all shades of red. Thanks for your kind words.

27 minutes ago, Robert said:

That is a lot nicer than the AMK boxart 👍

Robert

Amen! 

Also @hoppie very nice artwork. 

Perhaps the probes and and the other metal bits on the forward fuselage are a bit too orange/copper in tone? 

Apart from that it’s gorgeous mate. 

Thanks you so much. Yeah, that is really really copper like. It's funny, I thought about that but now that you point it out it really jumps out to me. I'll fix that :)

So I finally got some time at the screen and made a couple of changes.

I added the vent and string in front of the canopy. Skyhawk174 over on ARC spotted the missing shadow on the AOA probe, so I added that and shortened the probe a bit.

I also toned the metal parts down a bit.

I'm calling it done now :)

42384008871_1b75a3899e_h.jpg

42384009921_747ce3c464_h.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...