Su-27SM paints?

Fin

I`ve been, for quite some time, trying to find some acrylic paints that match the blue colours on the Su-27SM like these:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-27SM/4962785/L?qsp=eJwtjEEKwkAMRe%2BStS5UUOhOL6ALLxAmHy22zpBE6lB6d9PB3eM9eDOl/HZ8/V4LqCMDa3rShgorj0bdTC/UKavYWj/b/cnGyJbVLzWUsOOcEopD/v6qAl0TLLXTI867AOitMR2O4aW3MnB7wLkfaFl%2Bblcu%2BQ%3D%3D

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-27SM/2517513/L?qsp=eJwtjEEKwkAMRe%2BStW4qKHSnF9CFFwjJR4utMyQRHUrv7kx1999/8GaS9Ax84loyqCcHm9xpQ5mNJ6d%2BpgfKO5l6s69td/Cpak8Wp1Iv5cBRBDmg//9sCmsKLmvp1spdm7DLj3b7ijp4HnmtIHgYaVm%2Bv34vPg%3D%3D

Afaik Akan`s Su-27SM sets actually contain paints for the camouflage scheme with the less saturated, grey-blue colours. Does anyone know if Akan make the right blue colours for the scheme pictured above (either in other sets or as individual bottles) or if there are some acrylic paints out there that would match these reasonably close (without the need to mix them).

Btw, the blue colours on the Su-33 or the Ukrainian Flankers (there are paint sets available for both) do NOT look the same as the ones above to me.

Edited by Fin

Fin, first, are you referring to the Zvezda kit of the Su-27SM? They have three schemes/markings for it. Two are three color; one is a two color. Your top link seems to show option 3 in their instructions. Most likely the VVS is just using two of the normal 3 colors of paint; having eliminated the light grey color. @Flankerman might be able to shed a bit more light here; but, '04' is part of a training unit according to the kit instructions. The VVS is unlikely to have a whole different set of paint colors for basic/advanced training of their pilots(it costs a lot money for that sort of thing; 20+ years in the US Army taught me that!) Just not using a paint color makes some sense. AKAN does make a set for the Su-27SM; it is 47325 in their acrylic range. Most likely the paint numbers from that set that are used are 73160 Light Blue, and 73161 Pale Blue. 73069 is the cockpit color.

HTH

Joe

Thank you for your reply!

Fin, first, are you referring to the Zvezda kit of the Su-27SM?

My intention was to use the Revell incarnation (04937 - the Zvezda plastic with what looks like a better and more complete decal)

AKAN does make a set for the Su-27SM; it is 47325 in their acrylic range.

They actually have several, each differing a bit:

http://hpns.eu.nettihotelli.org/shop/su-27sm-russian-air-force-a

http://hpns.eu.nettihotelli.org/shop/su-27sm-vvs-of-russia-belbek-scheme-2015-16-a

http://hpns.eu.nettihotelli.org/shop/su-27sm-new-camouflage-2014-russian-air-force-100-years-a

As I`ve said though, the two blue colours used on the scheme shown in the photos from my first post are not among the ones in these Akan sets. Unless I`m missing something...

Flankerman/Ken has a wip thread for Zvezda`s kit here (more detailed than the one on BM):

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/274698-zvezda-172-su-27sm/

and a RfI thread here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960555-su-27sm-zvezda/&do=findComment&comment=1625899

The wip is very informative and fun to follow, but Ken used the paints from the Su-33 Akan set and from what I can see in photographs the two blue colours seem to have a distinctive hue from what can be seen on the Su-27SM. The light blue is greyer and less saturated and the regular blue considerably more purple. I may be fooled by the photos though...

Fin, I believe that you are correct about the colors. I was using the Linden Hills Imports site for the AKAN range of paints. Their old layout made it some easy to determine what set and/or individual paints were for what type of aircraft/vehicle/ship etc.. The new layout does list the sets, and the aircraft/vehicles/ships etc.; but, you now have to click on the set image to determine the paints(and their numbers) and sometimes which camouflage scheme(initial, post-2000, etc., that type of thing) it is. It isn't always clear. I could only determine the one set for the Su-27SM; the other two that you link to aren't available in the USA as yet. That is why I didn't list them; I didn't know of them. The Su-33 as originally deployed used different shades of the blues and grey; than did the Su-27, but, the same pattern for painting(more or less). So, you are not wrong in your assessment that the blue colors are different. Ken was most likely using the "close enough" approach. It is possible that AKAN does have them in their range, or, in their list of paints to be released in the future. I haven't been able to find AKAN's website via google or Bing to discover if they are or will be introducing these or other paints. Maybe I'm not defining my search parameters correctly(the most likely reason). You may have to try to mix the two blue colors. I am sorry that I don't have more for you. Good luck in your search.

Joe

• Thanks 1

I've had a quick look through the AKAN paint list I got from Coastal Craft at last years NATS and it lists a scheme for the Su-27SM in the Russian Air Force 100th Anniversary. The set is numbered 47332 and contains paints:- 73167,73168,73169,73058,73146 & 73060. hth chris 

Edited by chris57
Finger Trouble
  • Thanks 1

The 'two-colour' bright blue camo Su-27SM (Bort 06) was at MAKS 2009 - here it is behind a Su-24...

day02_026.jpg

day02_028.jpg

By the time of the 2012 '100th Anniversary' show, the Su-27SM3 on display was painted in a lighter 3-colour 'standard Flanker' colour scheme...

day1_019.JPG

IIRC, I used the AKAN Su-33 colours for my 'bright blue' two-colour Zvezda Su-27SM....

Su-27SM_57.jpg

Ken

• Like 1

Hi, Ken! Thank you for the reply!

IIRC, I used the AKAN Su-33 colours for my 'bright blue' two-colour Zvezda Su-27SM....

Beautiful model and I intend to follow you wip thread as a guide. The thing is that based on the photographs of your model the two Akan Su-33 blue paints seem quite noticeably different from what I can see in the photographs (I`ve looked at several on different light setups) of the actual Su-27SM. On the other hand, one photo you`ve shown during construction seems to show the right light blue:

http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/model_su-27sm_files/Su-27SM_50.jpg

So I`m thinking it might be a lighting/camera thing after all. You have the painted model at hand... are you confident they`re the same colours you`ve seen on the real aircraft? Sorry to prolong this, but together with the transport costs, the Akan paints are pretty expensive.

By the time of the 2012 '100th Anniversary' show, the Su-27SM3 on display was painted in a lighter 3-colour 'standard Flanker' colour scheme...

Does that mean the two-colours camouflage has been - or is about to be - replaced? Is there such a thing as a "current" camouflage scheme for the Su-27SM?

Btw, what Flanker version is this one?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/Sukhoi_Su-27_and_Eurofighter_Typhoon.jpg

48 minutes ago, Fin said:

Btw, what Flanker version is this one?

Looks like a basic Su-27P "Flanker-B" to me. No RWR pimples on the leading edge slats, so no S-27SM.

Cheers,

Andre

I did the Zvezda Su-27SM a while back and had the same conundrum as that was the same color scheme I wanted to do. Here's my thoughts.

1) Yes, get the Revell kit. The Zvezda kit lacks missile stencils which is quite annoying.

2) There's sadly, no equivalent Akan paints for that scheme. The Su-33 paints are not equivalent as they have a very slight "sea green" tint to the them. The Ukrainian digital Flanker paints are also wrong. Although the dark blue looks like a close match, Akan IMHO botched the medium blue: it's WAY too bright. I was quite disappointed (the light blue might be closer but it was sold out when I bought these paints). Trawling through Akan paint sites, I did not seem to find any equivalent to that medium blue.

3) Possible solution: use a generic color. Vallejo Light Sea Blue (Model Air range) looks like a very close match, as does Andrea Blue (Model Color range). As for the dark blue, both the Ukrainian digital Flanker dark blue and the Su-33 dark blue is close enough to my eyes to be acceptable. I am intending to re-do this kit at some point in the near future and will probably take this route.

Aside from that... despite the lack of a match, I do strongly encourage you to go ahead with this scheme and build this most excellent kit which fits like a charm!

• Thanks 1

Was too lazy to take a pic but found that I had one on my PC: here's my (failed) interpretation of the Su-27SM bright blue camo using Akan's Ukraine digital Flanker paints. As you can see, the dark blue, while too bright is relatively acceptable. The medium blue is way too dark.

UVsiGfN.jpg

Edited by Phantome
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much! Another very helpful post. You`re becoming my go to source for MiGs and Sukhois. :D I`ve actually thought about Vallejo`s Andrea Blue, but the one I have has such a poor consistency and is so thin that I`ve had to splash it more than brush it on a piece of plastic and it left me unsure as to its actual colour (but sure I can`t possibly brush it on a model even though it is in the Model Color range). Do you actually have it? I`m curious if I got a bad bottle or this is actually the best Vallejo can do for this colour.