Scratch built cargo freighter spaceship

:lol: Good find!.

When I was a kid our shire council had biannual clean-up junk days. All sorts of rubbish was place out front for council trucks to pick up and take to the rubbish tip. My mother always got upset with me because I would collect and bring in more rubbish than what we put out.

My first use of junk was to add bits of wire, tubing, etc to the sides of my homemade billy-cart (1960s style).

• Like 2

You certainly have an eye for detail and I like how "busy" you are making it look, it really helps to gives everything a sense of purpose and adds to the reality of the model. I can't wait to see it with a coat of primer on amd those pieces all start to blend and become a whole

Pete

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Getunderit said:

:lol: Good find!.

When I was a kid our shire council had biannual clean-up junk days. All sorts of rubbish was place out front for council trucks to pick up and take to the rubbish tip. My mother always got upset with me because I would collect and bring in more rubbish than what we put out.

My first use of junk was to add bits of wire, tubing, etc to the sides of my homemade billy-cart (1960s style).

Today with all this recycling made in to a system the environment benefits, but I think the kids today don’t get the same variety of things to pick up and use for their imagination. But again I can see that my kids use their creativity to the fullest with what they do find. And also today I can understand my father better why he got upset when I used his caliper as a machine gun when we kids fought our war...  😂

17 hours ago, Brundledonk said:

You certainly have an eye for detail and I like how "busy" you are making it look, it really helps to gives everything a sense of purpose and adds to the reality of the model. I can't wait to see it with a coat of primer on amd those pieces all start to blend and become a whole

Pete

Thank you! I don’t know when I started to look for busy structures, I guess working with buildings HVAC, automation and so on started it. But after a while you see it everywhere. On top of buildings, underneath and on top of trains. The specials wehicles on an airport, lorrys. The priming will come on, but I’m not shure it will happen before summer’s vacation.

• Like 1

This weekend I won’t be able to model, out of town but the time can be used to plan ahead... 

What I learned when I built my previous model is that if I have a background story my creativity multiply and the details added increase. When I have time I’ll have to document that build too because I’m really satisfied with it. 

So what do whe know of this spaceship?
Swedish made (of course) and the details will point out to things from here and my childhood.
One or more reference to flamingos, this is because my love has a burning interest in collecting things with flamingos on them. Well at least that was I who decided that she has this interest and I got all friends and family to follow my lead :D

.... and hmm... that’s it for now, but if someone has a good idea tell me all about it, perhaps I’ll get a place for your ideas.

So with the place for bridge, hibernating chamber and engines given. What do we do with the area in between? First I placed a large tank behind the hibernating chamber. But that made the cargo area too small so that tank is the one that sits on top on the roof.

So from the top:
Loading area,
This will flip down like on a lorry when loading/unloading
Crane,

This will be recessed into the hull while not being used. When loading and unloading it can swing out.
APU
this is a MB engine (?) from the spare part box. But to follow the story it has to be a Scania, Scania in latin = Skåne, the part of Sweden where I live.
Cargo area, this one I don’t need to explain I hope :P

Kitchen,
Good, strong coffe and swedish meatballs is served here.
Radio room,
I don’t think all of this will be a radio room but until my imagination have sorted out what kind of rooms and where to have them, this is it’s label.

kbplQTjR_o.jpg

• Like 3

Short update, back in town again and time to glue. This time the starboard side. After the usual treatment we get something like this (sorry for the bad picture, perhaps it's time to bring forward the real camera).

5Wh76fvI_t.jpg

And now, it's time to sleep. Good night! :) 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 3:07 AM, Jaktis said:

... if someone has a good idea tell me all about it, perhaps I’ll get a place for your ideas...

Put a large claw on the end of your crane which resembles the beak of a flamingo.

On 18/06/2018 at 23:55, Getunderit said:

Put a large claw on the end of your crane which resembles the beak of a flamingo.

Peter, that’s a thought to consider, some sort of flamingo theme will defenitely be on the crane 🙂

This week was busy and not filled with time to focus on the build. But I’ve kept myself busy with adding detail. Time consuming and boring in a way. To chop bits and pieces doesn’t give you a feeling of progress exactly. But the end resulte looks more like reality.

AhzLpl5E_t.jpeg kw2cnlzP_t.jpeg Vw0oAVIm_t.jpeg

I also continued to dress the port roof section and started to add surface detail.

Ibiq1k0d_t.jpeg

On the port side a sensor pod will sit. I built it around a black plastic handle of forgotten origin. A cardboard wing was made and covered with plasticard, solder wire and thin plastic rod.

rYvBhSSk_t.jpeg i5qsE8re_t.jpeg  KQkjGbRE_t.jpeg

Have a great week and thank you for reading!

Edited by Jaktis
Wrong picture link
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Life has been busy with me, last week was last week at work before my vacation. So the days were full of work and I had an assignment for school with the deadline on sunday night. Not much time for modeling as you can understand. But when I could catch up I did it with a speed faster than the camera could capture 😉 

So not so much of in progress pictures, instead I can show you some sort of result. 

This time I decided to focus on the top of the spaceship. I started with two pieces from scrapped headsets that I glued together with each other.

gocShzYv_t.jpeg 

I built a framework where these should run between and filled it with the leftovers from an airfix kit which I grew tired of while building and never finished. Time to recycle again 🙂 

hf1vQcKM_t.jpeg

And this was as far as I got before I started to rush along to build as much as possible before I go away for the vacation. But more about that in next post.

• Like 5

As I said, more of the building was made than documentation of what and how it was done. (Sounds like a normal project to me 😄  )

The main focus of this phase for me was to make the surface busy looking. But still with some kind of flow forward and backward. (Google isn’t kind with me right now, someone who knows the correct terminology for spacecrafts please fill in 😉 ) I tried to create a surface that pleases the eye without getting to uniform. 

Anyway, looking backward on the port half it begins like this. The most interesting part I belive, is a half V8-engine in the top left corner and its alternator belt closer to the center:

lGvNOtXe_t.jpeg

Next picture you can find the opposite half of the same V8:

mfQZnRio_t.jpeg

Top left, you can see the contour of the air outlet from a breathing filter (proudly sponsored by 3M 😛 ). If you click the link you can see more of it. The large round shape is from an old fire detector and it has a fine mesh that makes it look cool when you see it from the side. 

eodQ9C75_t.jpeg

The semi-round shapes are the ball from my deodorant so now my spaceship comes with a nice smell to.

m9Ym9jR8_t.jpeg

(Sorry if I raise the level of what is necessary on a proper builds guys 😳 but now you know where you saw it first 🙃 )

Next post will focus on the starboard side.

• Like 6

One more post and than I will try to be quiet, I promise :)

Starboard side from the front:

The large black thing is a leftover from an auto shop. Looks like a pump for the windshield wipers, but I’m not sure. As you can see it’s to this where I connected one part of the headset parts.

sGRwGhs3_t.jpeg

Going backwards it continues, all parts in khaki colour is from that old airfix kit I mentioned earlier.  

PrfGByGH_t.jpeg

More details (more is more 😉

eviCu485_t.jpeg

And in the pit beside the tank you’ll find some wheels I didn’t feel like throwing away.

Z5hwbWGJ_t.jpeg

In total it look something like this, I know that the 3M-thingy isn’t level with the rest of the build. But it isn’t glued into place yet, so don’t worry

w1brIcmk_t.jpeg

Now, I’m off for the summer. No building and no updates in this thread. I will write about some other builds in other threads so if you want to read, check out my signature and you can find more of my creativity. 

Have a great summer you all! I will keep myself busy by sitting listening to the silence of the northern forests of Sweden, drinking coffe, feeding mosquitos and eat some surströmming 🙂 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the build log journey. Really enjoyed watching this thread. Learnt quite a few things from you _ thanks for that.

Hope you have a lovely relaxing summer holiday.

PS. Don't get too carried away with collecting bits for future models. If you do, it may be cheaper to post it snail mail than trying to include it with you luggage.

Looking forward to seeing future build logs.

Cheers my friend.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2018 at 15:33, Getunderit said:

Thanks for the build log journey. Really enjoyed watching this thread. Learnt quite a few things from you _ thanks for that.

Hope you have a lovely relaxing summer holiday.

PS. Don't get too carried away with collecting bits for future models. If you do, it may be cheaper to post it snail mail than trying to include it with you luggage.

Looking forward to seeing future build logs.

Cheers my friend.

Thank you for those kind words it feels good that I have contributed to someone else of what little I know. :)

First week has been spent in the Stockholm area, no larger finds of bits and pieces here. But from next week I’m up north and since all of my relatives have some sort of a collector gene there can will be trouble... ;) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 08:08, Getunderit said:

Are you going to visit this place?

https://www.sfbok.se/

Peter I’ve been there every once in a while. They have a store ten minutes from here, down town. You need a lot of time to be able to see everything they have. I believe they have something from all different kinds of SF.

• Like 1

Back in town and small update from todays work.

Started on the port side wall with thick cardboard.

pUlpt5Bd_t.jpeg

I tried to make it follow the structure and to make it stay where I wanted I glued some extra cardboard.

UvnZJuS0_t.jpeg 

Looking from the inside I eyeballed and drew some lines where the floor would meet  the wall.
dxzeMj1f_t.jpeg

And then I started to make something that would look like a structure.

ESUED0LZ_t.jpeg

That’s it for now, cheers!

• Like 6