Tornado F3 Missile pylon question

Michael Taylor

That is a BOL launcher that replaces the old rail and incorporates a chaff dispenser.  I think they're of Swedish origin.

George

12 minutes ago, Shaun said:

If there's a bit of interest in making a late RAF Tornado GR4 or F3, i'll have a go at producing a couple of rails.

Yes please, would it be possible to include an extra rail to update the Hasegawa F3 please ?

Phil

I was a Tornado F.3 Armourer for 13 years so I am Just confirming they are BOL Launchers. The LAU-7A incorporated a Nitrogen receiver to provide coolant to the head of the 'winder and latterly ASRAAM. The bottle was inserted through the rear clamshell doors and occupied around 3/4 of the length of the LAU. The BOL LAU incorporated the Nitrogen bottle in the nose, which explains the bulbous look. Unfortunately it didn't contain as much Nitrogen so needed replacing with a full bottle more frequently. The rear of the BOL launcher contains chaff packets. You only ever see BOL Launchers on the inboard stub pylons as due to their length and wider rear profile they interfere with the flaps when they are down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've not forgotten you lot, just finding it hard to find the time to get the items cast up!. Once I've got a few sets done, I'll let you all know on here when there ready to ship for your projects.

Sorry for the delay.

Shaun.

• Like 1

Thanks for you PM and post Shaun.  Just appreciate that you are 'in progress' with the BOL launchers and that we will be able to model later F.3s with these fitted in the not too distant future.  Very much appreciate it.

Kind regards

Rob

• 2 weeks later...