Hello from Brisbane

Ian T

Hello Britmodellers, I am an expat Brit, originally from Plymouth, Devon. I have lived in Brisbane Australia since 1996. I retired about 12 months ago and am looking forward to getting back into modelling. I am amazed at how the quality of the kits has improved since my early Airfix days in the 1960’s. Equally impressive is the skill that I see in the workmanship put into the kits.

My modelling interests are mainly motorbikes, but I suspect that WW2 aircraft will soon appear.

My pride and joy is a “plank on frame” wooden boat (a schooner called the Mercury) which took me over 12 years to complete along with work commitments. I would add a picture but I’m not sure how to do that yet. I am currently working on a model of Cook’s Endeavour. I also love Blues music and travel.

Apologies if I commit any forum sins, I’m new to this sort of thing.

Regards Ian

• Like 4

Welcome to BM Ian, from another co-Brisbane resident. 

The only sin you could possibly commit is the odd accidental swear word that you've probably added to your vocabulary after living here so long. We Aussies do get a slight exemption, although don't test it too much as the mods will be onto you in quick fashion. 

Not sure if you had a chance or knew about our local swap meet yesterday, but if you were there you probably saw my cheerie face trying to flog off a few unwanted kits. 

Anyway - welcome to BM 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome, I’ll certainly be using this forum in the future. Things have moved on from brush painting an Airfix Spitfire 50 years ago, probably in a single gloss brown or green I expect, complete with glue all over the canopy. I’m currently building a Tamiya Ducati 988 motorbike to try my skills, I’m pleased with the result, but I can see so many areas to improve already, this is where I’ll be looking to use the forum for help and words of wisdom.

Regards Ian

Welcome to Britmodeller and also from sunny Queensland but from Toowoomba ( Currently five degrees cooler or eight if you count the wind chill ).

On 21/05/2018 at 06:44, Rabbit Leader said:

Welcome to BM Ian, from another co-Brisbane resident. 

The only sin you could possibly commit is the odd accidental swear word that you've probably added to your vocabulary after living here so long. We Aussies do get a slight exemption, although don't test it too much as the mods will be onto you in quick fashion. 

Not sure if you had a chance or knew about our local swap meet yesterday, but if you were there you probably saw my cheerie face trying to flog off a few unwanted kits. 

Anyway - welcome to BM 

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome, how do I find out about the swap meets, or anything equally interesting?

Regards Ian

14 hours ago, Ian T said:

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome, how do I find out about the swap meets, or anything equally interesting?

Regards Ian

Ian, 

PM sent regarding some local Brisbane modelling events. 

Cheers.. Dave

Wow! Britmodeller should possibly think about changing its name to Worldmodeller, it's got a ring to it! What do you think @Mike? ;)

:welcome: from me, an expat Brit in France whose next visit to the UK will be to Plymouth to be present at my son's passing out parade at HMS Raleigh. I spent many happy days in Brisbane mostly eating at either Jimmy's on the Mall or at the Brekkie Creek Hotel! Ironically it was breakfast at Jimmy's but dinner at the Brekkie Creek! Damn you Australia for my addiction to quality red meat!

• Like 1

I think Jimmy’s on the mall is still there, however may have changed with all the Queen Street refurbishments. The Brekky Creek pub is a Brisbane institution and will long remain as a great meeting  place and the best Steaks around - although both your waste line and wallet will feel it!! 

Worldmodeller has a nice ring to it, however I’m a bit old school and if it wasn’t for the likes of Airfix, Matchbox, Scale Models magazine, Scale Aircraft modelling, Modeldecal etc..  I probably wouldn’t know what scale modelling was all about. 

Cheers... Dave 

Hi Ian, welcome to BM from even further north in Queensland, sunny Townsville!

I think we should ask Mike and The Mods if we can have a sub-forum called Q-modeller.🇦🇺:dog:

DennisTheBear

Yeh, that sounds like a good idea me!! I’m just back from Hobbyrama in Brisbane with a new kit of the Ducati Desmosedici motorbike tucked under my arm, better finish the other four or five other projects first .....

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Wow! Britmodeller should possibly think about changing its name to Worldmodeller, it's got a ring to it! What do you think @Mike? ;)

:welcome: from me, an expat Brit in France whose next visit to the UK will be to Plymouth to be present at my son's passing out parade at HMS Raleigh. I spent many happy days in Brisbane mostly eating at either Jimmy's on the Mall or at the Brekkie Creek Hotel! Ironically it was breakfast at Jimmy's but dinner at the Brekkie Creek! Damn you Australia for my addiction to quality red meat!

Worldmodeller says good, since that is what it appears to be, but it was the “Brit” bit that first attracted me. Not necessarily because I hold onto my Pommie roots, but because (like Dave) I still fondly remember my Early Airfix kits, Spitfires dangling on cotton from my bedroom ceiling .....

Jimmy’s is still there, but a glitzy modern version now, and of course Dave has summed up the Breakkie Creek. I didn’t realise that HMS Raleigh was still in operation, but since your son is there, it must be!! Where about in France are you?

11 hours ago, Mark said:

Bit late for that now ;)

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Welcome! Stop worrying about potential forum sins and figure out how to do pictures so we can see the boat and your bike model

Thanks for the words of wisdom LostCosmonauts, I’ll have a look at making some pictures available, there is a lot of advice on the forum, so I’m sure that I can find out how to do it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Welcome! Stop worrying about potential forum sins and figure out how to do pictures so we can see the boat and your bike model

I’ve just posted some pictures of my wooden boat on the Maritime Forum and my bike on the Vehicles Forum, thanks for pushing me into this, it was really easy using Flickr.

• Like 1