After completing my Hawker tempest I thought it would be interesting to build a Dora as it was one of the adversaries of the Tempest. I also wanted a kit that didn't need much correction or scratch building so I could have a relaxing build so I chose to build the Eduard 1/48 FW 190D-9 kit.

Cue obligatory photo of a box!

s9mwKWcZ55xe2ZOpku4iHk-rgoJR8pPSLliZGQrw

Now, I did say I didn't want to have to have to scratch build but then as I started putting the cockpit together it really struck me how boring some of the PE parts are, especially the seatbelts. I had just seen a tutorial on how to build detail with Milliput so I thought I would have a go at creating my own belts rather than using the PE ones. 

nGkw2eoqHyxo76WEbYbjt-cyHL62gGhcXnaSnHWM

Well, you know how it goes, one thing leads to another and the next moment I'm scratch building the instrument panel as well. So much for not wanting to scratch build anything this build 🙂

H4ASr26VUS7R0zqzfggRC9K0nGYsYmAAhzNPAfc9

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Had to laugh at that 

1 hour ago, pipthepilot said:

So much for not wanting to scratch build anything this build 🙂

We all have those moments. 😉 Looking forward to your build though. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice work! IP and belts looks great! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, I was really pleased with the belts, I found you can get a far more natural material look to them with Milliput. 

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Is this the original release, which I think was over engineered, or the current, slightly more simplified version?

That was the Fw190A  kits Eduard did.

The D series don't have the exposed engine,  which was the big problem with the A kits, but the D has some issues, open hatches again from a brief remind in the link below.

@pipthepilot one noted glitch in the Fw190 kits, is the thickness of the front of the fin. 

this has been discussed before

has photos and various discussions on 1/48th Fw 190D's

Neat work on the straps.

cheers

T

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Nice work so far especially the seatbelts. Is this the original release, which I think was over engineered, or the current, slightly more simplified version?

John

I think this kit was the new tool version in 2010, the latest one is the 190A because I build one quite recently. It was a beautiful kit that went together very easily.

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

That was the Fw190A  kits Eduard did.

The D series don't have the exposed engine,  which was the big problem with the A kits, but the D has some issues, open hatches again from a brief remind in the link below.

Hello Troy,

This 190D doesn't have a fully exposed engine but it does have the guns and rear engine exposed. 

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

@pipthepilot one noted glitch in the Fw190 kits, is the thickness of the front of the fin. 

this has been discussed before

It's a good job I bought one of those scrapers you recommended then 🙂 

• Like 1

Interesting video! Requires some patience though, but perhaps not worse than trying to put etched belts in place! :)

Håkan

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

Interesting video! Requires some patience though, but perhaps not worse than trying to put etched belts in place! :)

Håkan

Your right it does take patience but as no glue is involved you have all the time in the world to get it looking right. 

• Like 2

On 21/05/2018 at 22:03, Howard Moon said:

Having looked in on your excellent Tempest build, this should be worth following 🙂. Have you got a scheme in mind yet?

Thanks Howard,

As for the colour scheme, I haven't made a decision yet and I'm still researching photos to find something interesting. I know I want an aircraft that was part of the "Defence of the Reich", I also want an RLM76/81/82 type scheme as I haven't done one of these yet and I really enjoy painting mottling. 

At the moment, W.Nr 213097 "White 11" of 13./JD51 might be a possibility as it has some interesting features including a bare metal gun cowl and what looks like a tail band (or fuselage extension) that has been partially painted over. 

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-13.JG51-(W11+~)-Hein

Always on board for a 190 build. Eduard posted a tip on the engine firewall/fuselage gun deck placement just after these were released due to the number of complaints about fit. IIRC the angle should not be 90 degrees but greater as it was designed that way. Many found that if placed at right angles, it didn’t work. If I can find it, I shall post it.

Regards,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kahunaminor said:

Always on board for a 190 build. Eduard posted a tip on the engine firewall/fuselage gun deck placement just after these were released due to the number of complaints about fit. IIRC the angle should not be 90 degrees but greater as it was designed that way. Many found that if placed at right angles, it didn’t work. If I can find it, I shall post it.

Regards,

Good to have you along, and thanks for the info on the engine firewall.

The last couple of evenings I have been finishing the upper instrument panel. I really don't like the PE supplied with this kit, it looks rubbish so I build my own panel.

First I cut the outline shape using the kit part as a guide.

3SxMOzigTPgqE9Br41UYAkrNPq-gvTePTdFoXGZw

Then I sanded the curves and finalised the shape.

Sqs9OtizOgxf6oFcWAn2vY43qNqHWnZfYqYmBjkN

I forgot to take photos whilst making the instruments but I used a punch and die to make the holes. I also used the punch and die to make the instrument surrounds by first punching out lots of little circles, I then held them in place with masking tape and then used the punch to make the centre holes. In case you are wondering it took a long time 😱 !

Hs2y1iyA0JUUu1yE2AlWnePFN3ssXrf6tqXTODo0

A comparison between my IP and the PE version. 

-82CIgtYpe4x1y4IORVM5zs74TtEUNpJTyosPzUn

Edited by pipthepilot
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

Thanks Howard,

As for the colour scheme, I haven't made a decision yet and I'm still researching photos to find something interesting. I know I want an aircraft that was part of the "Defence of the Reich", I also want an RLM76/81/82 type scheme as I haven't done one of these yet and I really enjoy painting mottling. 

At the moment, W.Nr 213097 "White 11" of 13./JD51 might be a possibility as it has some interesting features including a bare metal gun cowl and what looks like a tail band (or fuselage extension) that has been partially painted over. 

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-13.JG51-(W11+~)-Hein

That’s an interesting scheme. Do you have the JaPo volumes on Dora camouflage and markings? There are a couple of colour profiles and more photos of this aircraft. Drop me a pm if you would like me to share them. 

Howard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That IP is looking very nice, I concur it is better than the PE one supplied. 

As promised, the Eduard addendum for the Fw 190D. It can be found in the Eduard Info issue for June 2010 on Page 24 if you wish to download that or just take a peek here:

FW190_D_addendum_2010.jpg

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3