Authentic Airliners DC-10-30 KLM 1:144

My latest finished project is the DC-10-30 in KLM colours. The kit, windows and windscreen decals are from Authentic Airliners. The decals are from the 26 and Revell (logo’s and registration).

The kit is really great and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to build a DC-10-30. I made a detailed comparison between the Revell, Authentic Airliners, Welsh (fuselage) and Contrails (engine) offerings, which you can find on the Dutch page here. The AA kit is the winner (clearly).

Although the kit isn’t terribly difficult to build, I did have some problems with the primer. By trying out various primers, I eventually found one that didn’t result in “fish eyes”. Also, this has been my longest project so far (over 70 hours). This has mainly been due to the paint scheme (it’s a pain to get the metal colours right), but in the end I’m rather happy with the result.

For the paints I used Revell 50 with a dash of white of the upper fuselage, Alcladd II ALC-111 Magnesium for the exhausts, ALC-119 Airframe aluminium for the engines, ALC-116 semi matt aluminium for the different colours with the engines and ALC-105 polished aluminium for the belly of the fuselage and the engines and leading edges of the engines as well. I also used ModelMasters Chrome Silver as a wash to smooth out the colour differences in the engines (so they become less stark). The Coroguard was painted with Vallejo Primer and the simply putting Alclad II Aqua Gloss on top of it (I found the colour to be just right). Model Masters Canadian Vodoo Gray was used to the lighter part of the Coroguard as well as the wing/body fairing, a part of the nose and the trailing edges of the wings and horizontal stabilizers.

The decals from 26 (which actually come from their MD-11 sheet) are excellent as well. I would not recommend using the Coroguard decals from Nazca, as they are designed for the wrongly shaped Revell kit and do not fit on the AA kit!

My next project will be the Czech Master Resin Douglas DC-2 orange KLM 1:144, which is part of Dutch a group build.

Anyway, enough talk. I hope you enjoy the pictures, thanks for looking and see you next time!

cd120134949e674dcfe39d7a191ab878.jpg

a018967a7547966d02f9d06940aec442.jpg

ad02f67601ca393d34e9691bec431161.jpg

86a80e463f7785eebf34500bff5a3d43.jpg

cdead3d03282aa3771648635c83ea18d.jpg

2d2e99603e862885fcc7e5bf93b32196.jpg

32f805cc8be7a98722a10915e258a19d.jpg

25b96ef6f1435befb90b9f3bb6a66c4c.jpg

681b7aaf855889060b61bc752e916b06.jpg

7ea13c87de8fef18cc419c807adb0cd8.jpg

2766ef32f535a3d34c56cde030dd05a4.jpg

1a1bca0851495967845c25b09ea48f38.jpg

10c70eef1842e2310d20dbb9f57d0db9.jpg

f488d0f95ef7c646cb1f0b99382dbb50.jpg

cf3f670b7b4ca2ff8dafb069b156e488.jpg

And finally, a picture with its sibling the MD-11 (also Authentic Airliners) that I build two years ago.

1ecac9c1828583cb60c81dbbd0f72075.jpg

Edited by Malair
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Awesome Martijn!

I can see there's a lot of hard work gone into the painting on this one but it's really paid off!

I agree with you regarding the AA kit it's certainly the easiest way to a great DC10.

Great photos too!I

Amazing how bland the current KLM livery is compared to this classic one.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Superb ! Great job. That's the best KLM scheme . Well done !

I've only just started building airliners; well, one actually but I want to get up to your standard one day.  Excellent build and finish Martijn, thank you for providing the inspiration.

Mike

That is gorgeous Martijn - beautiful build and my favourite version of KLM livery.  Thanks also for the helpful information about painting and finishing.

Out of interest does the kit have resin or metal undercarriage?  It must be quite a heavyweight and I wonder if resin gear would be strong enough. 

Many thanks for all your kind words! You guys make me blush :)

On 20/05/2018 at 21:34, Turbofan said:

Amazing how bland the current KLM livery is compared to this classic one.

Cheers,

Ian

I agree, but at least it still has colour. Most of the airlines go for just a generic white these days...

12 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Out of interest does the kit have resin or metal undercarriage?  It must be quite a heavyweight and I wonder if resin gear would be strong enough. 

The MD-11 has a metal undercarriage, but the DC-10 undercarriage is Resin (I do believe that they are now only supplied with metal however). I was worried about the strength and the kit is quite heavy, but it worked out fine (even after hitting it a few times accidently). Let's just hope that they don't bend in the long run.

WOW WOW WOW! Just an amazing build! Patience pays off when working towards a detailed and accurate finish! Thank you for sharing all the details of the paint work, too...very helpful as I am planning an MD-11 sometime later this year in Delta Air Lines livery. I really like the Alclad metals...they are working so very well for me, too, with proper surface prep. I really like the panel contrasts, and the attention to the detail in the engine inlets using the Alclad. The presentation in the pictures is also top rate...very realistic looking, and complimentary of the fine work you have accomplished. May I ask, how did you construct the ramp base? Did you buy that, or make it yourself...it is very nice and adds quite a bit to the presentation. Again...job very well done. :clap2:🤩

Edited by Challenger350Pilot

Thanks again for the nice words! Much appreciated!

21 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

May I ask, how did you construct the ramp base? Did you buy that, or make it yourself...it is very nice and adds quite a bit to the presentation. Again...job very well done. :clap2:🤩

I get asked this question a lot! I bought a base from 8A Decs, but that one is only one A4 big. In my opinion that was to small to make proper pictures, so I scanned the base and the using Photoshop I made a bigger version myself (and added some stuff such as some taxiways, based on bird's eye pictures on the internet). Actually, a whole lot bigger, as the base is 100cm by 100cm! I then had it printed by a Dutch poster printing company (https://www.24-posters.nl/), put in on a wooden base and voila! 

The runway I did 100% make myself, but I think is due for an upgrade as I made it years ago (the hard coal colour is too shiny for example. I should have used matt paint)

I will definitely make more bases in the future (I would like to have more taxiways, runways and aprons) as I think that add a sense of realism to the overall model and I like to have some variety.

Edited by Malair
  • Like 1

Very impressive DC-10, a favourite of mine from way back. You have pulled of a really nice clean finish as well which looks very realistic.

Cheers

Terry