Grumman Panther F9F-2 Hasegawa 1/72

Some more USN from me. This is the old Hasegawa kit from a very ancient boxing which was very crisply moulded in hard dark blue plastic. A couple of minor improvements added were drilled out cannon barrels, some seat cushions from Milliput and some resin tip tank nav lights. I also thought that the main gear were of too narrow track (justified after a spot of measuring) and moved the location holes a couple of mm outboard on each wing which gave a much better look.  Fit was pretty good but worth experimenting with the fit of the one piece lower wing and upper wings in order to avoid a potentially nasty step where the upper wing transitions to the upper wing stub attached to the fuselage half. The whole thing was sprayed with Gunze GSB from a rattle can to act as primer then given a coat of Xtracrylix GSB. The natural metal bits were from my dwindling stash of Citadel Chainmail and the red is Gunze Insignia Red. GSB finishes are quite difficult to weather convincingly and I experimented with using Flory light grey wash on this one. The idea was pinched after seeing how Navy Bird weathered a white TSR2 with a light grey wash and I thought it might work on a darker finish as well.  The decals for this well photographed machine come from a combination of Microscale and Flevo decals sheets which both feature this aircraft but neither are wholly complete or correct and so had to be supplemented by other generic decals. Hope you like!!

Pat

41184886095_a18640ae2b_o.jpg

40277854670_0870b964dd_o.jpg

40277855500_0e808a0bd4_o.jpg

41184885745_1ed05a12a4_o.jpg

41184886195_775a770e8d_o.jpg

41184885865_d7b270a839_o.jpg

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 27

One of the most beautiful jet aircraft ever built.

It looks best in its dark blue livery!

You did a very nice job.

(The Panther always reminds me of Buck Danny - one of my favorite comics when I was a kid.)

• Like 2

Fond memories of Hasegawa Panther. Built one back in the days when I actually finished kits and when you could go into town find a shop that sold Hasegawa kits for less than a king's ransom. 

Sighs, and drifts off into a nostalgic reverie............✈️🛩️💤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still have mine - built back in the day when I put the pilot in. Nice kit as I remember. I sanded off the lights on the outside of the tanks thinking it was flash!

• Like 1

That looks great.  A really nice finish and I think your panel line highlights work really well.  Making the masks for the nose decoration must have been fun!

• Like 1

Beautiful Panther.  I have one of these in the stash, if I can build it half as well as this I will very happy.

Andrew

• Like 1