English Electric Lightning F.6 - Airfix 1/72

Hello,

This is my latest model, finished just in time for IPMS Gloucester model show last weekend.

The kit is Airfix's Lightning F.6. It was a pleasure to build despite injection issues (missing plastic) on a couple of parts. I improved it with Edouard photoetch for the cockpit and Master pitot tube

Decals are mostly Airfix ones with some from Model Decals for the shark month and the unit markings. I must say that I get quite bored with all the stencils; I spend three long evening applying them all. But all in all it looks good in the end.

Nevertheless, next model I'll choose to build will have a very limited number of decals...

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Antoine

40423787670_0092135ba3_b.jpg

41330368955_ac24f21e0a_b.jpg

41330367985_4f76268c13_b.jpg

41330367035_6811f838af_b.jpg

42184810042_2083a447c4_b.jpg

42184809042_a98ffb9c36_b.jpg

42184807872_bcc142e0fe_b.jpg

42184806962_bc9c697264_b.jpg

Last picture at IPMS Gloucester show:

42184806072_ddd3476018_b.jpg

• Like 47

Although I find the aircraft itself rather ugly (like a humpback, with those upperwing tanks), you've done a great model.

The sharkmouth adds some life to the monochrome finish - a very clean result, by the way!

I had to check twice with the title, as I was assuming this is 48 scale.

Lovely work, I wasn't sure about this kit but now I've seen yours built I'm going to invest in a few!

A great looking Lightning.  Your paint finish looks excellent and I really like your panel line highlights.  Can I ask what paint you used for the natural metal parts?  It is very convincing. 

Lovely model and finish.

Out of curiosity, did the instructions tell you to mount the refueling probe under the right wing? Any Lightning picture I've ever seen with the probe fitted had it under the left wing.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your kind comments.

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Can I ask what paint you used for the natural metal parts?

I used Tamiya XF1 as a primer. For the first metallic layer, I airbrushed Shine (61) from the Metallic range of 'K' airbrush acrylics (www.kcolors.com). I discovered it in a model shop in Bideford. It was a first try on the Lightning and I was quite pleased with that paint. It was easy to use (no dilution + easy cleaning + no strong smell) and it gives a good metallic effect. BTW; if anyone know where to buy this paint in Gloucester area, please share the info!

I finished the paint with different shades of Alcad 2 (Aluminium, Steel, Dark Aluminium).

6 hours ago, upnorth said:

Out of curiosity, did the instructions tell you to mount the refueling probe under the right wing? Any Lightning picture I've ever seen with the probe fitted had it under the left wing

You are perfectly right. It should have gone under the left wing 😳... I messed up twice: first, forget to drill the locating hole before gluing; second I misread the instructions and drilled the locating holes on the wrong wing. Will probably never correct it though...

Lesson learnt: read the instruction carefully; they are right (most of the time) !

Cheers,

Antoine

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 4:00 AM, kapam said:

Excellent Lightning!

Very nice - the undercarriage looks particularly realistic - what finish have you used on the struts?

:goodjob:

Hi Kapam,

Thanks for your comments.

The gears were a bit of try and miss. The last finish though was Alclad Aluminium over Tamiya flat black XF1.

On 5/22/2018 at 4:47 AM, ColinChipmunkfan said:

The time spent on the decals was well worth it!

Hi Colin, 

Agreed. Especially with a scheme limited to two shades of grays like this one.

Nevertheless, my current build is more colourfull and has only ... six decals :christmas: