Heinkel He 111H markings

Starfighter

Hi Everybody,

I'm about to start decalling my 1/48 ICM Heinkel He 111H-3, and I'm a little unsure about one aspect of the markings, so maybe one of you nice people can help ?

The kit has two sets of upper wing "Formation bars "on the decal sheet, and I'm wondering if this is correct, as all the photos, drawings etc. would indicate that they were only applied to one ( Usually port ) wing upper surface.

Would anyone know whether that is correct or not ? Any info would be much appreciated !  :cheers:

I don't think that any German documentation has surfaced, but it is thought that they displayed the unit's position on the left, right or centre of the large formations.  So yes having markings on both wingtips did happen.

I found this on the net for a friend a couple of years ago and it has a nice theory about the "pink" stripes. He found photos of left and right stripes but not both although logic as evidenced by Graham above implies they existed. I like to have pictures or at least a good description of what I am modelling but that's just personal preference.

They are formation markings used to help the unit 'form up' in the air.
"The "tactical formation" markings were the allegedly white bands that appeared on the tail fin and rudder and on the upper wing surface during September 1940. The purpose of the marking was to enable pilots flying in formation to quickly determine the position of other aircraft in the formation. Aircraft with the bar on the port (left) wing and port fin meant that they were on the starboard (right) side of the formation. Also the number of bars might have indicated the Gruppe or Staffel status of the aircraft.

I use the phrase "allegedly white" above quite intentionally. Based on the recent research of Kenneth Merrick, which appears to be based on RAF reports on downed aircraft, it appears that a number of aircraft had the bars applied in various shades of pink. Merrick surmises that red may have first been tried, but was not distinguishable from a distance against the 70/71 camouflage. The pale color might have been found to provide for quicker identification."

Thanks for the info, chaps . . . It's much apppreciated. I think I'll go with starboard wing markings only, as that's what I've seen on photos, etc.  :cheers:

The best source I know is Paul Lucas's 15 page article in Model Aircraft Monthly October 2004.  It include full page artwork for two He 111s,  an H-2 from I/KG26 with two white bars on the port wing, and an unspecified H from 9/KG53 with three pink bars (and overspray) on the port wing.  The first one, 1H+CB WNo 5680, also has two white bars on the port rudder.  It isn't known whether the other, A1+DT carried the appropriate markings on the starboard rudder. 

Intelligence reports do not always mention the bars on both wings and tail.  Both aircraft lack the forward gun position in the gondola, if that's relevant to you.  H-3s often didn't - I'm not sure whether that should just say "didn't" - have this modification, although they are described as having it in some references.

• Thanks 1

The machine I'm building will probably be A1 + DA from KG 53, as there is a photo of this machine in my copy of the bomber units of the Luftwaffe book which shows the forward gun position in the gondola, plus three formation bars on the rudder.

Incidentally this is the same machine featured in the Hasegawa 1/72 kit, and that shows the upper wing bars on the starboard wing only. This machine also featured in the Scale Models magazine special on Battle Of Britain aircraft.

I  presume these individual aircraft keep appearing as they are machines for which there's documentary evidence ?   :cheers:

Edited by Starfighter

The article refers to five different KG53 aircraft, but not to A1+DA.  There is a photo of A1+BA showing rudder stripes on the port side and a forward gondola gun - however this is described as an H-2.  The rudder is turned towards the camera so neither side can be seen.  Generally it is rare to see wings and rudder, let alone both sides!  A1+BT has three starboard wing stripes but nothing on the port rudder.  A1+LM has three rudder stripes but the wings are not visible. 

There is however a photo of a vic of three He 111s of an unknown unit with three stripes on both wings - the rudders are too dark to show anything.  So it is confirmed that this did happen.   However if the suggestion that these are formation markings is true, then they could change each day anyway, providing some modeller's licence.

I suspect that they keep reappearing because they are all copying whatever came before.  That's how so many myths get perpetrated and accepted as gospel.  If you've got a photo however, there's that in its favour.  I would assume that the rudder stripes are only on the same side as the wing in these references.

Blimey ! I'm even more confused now. Would I be correct in thinking  that A1 + DA would have the wing bars on the same side ( i.e port ) as the rudder markings, or on both sides as provided in the ICM kit ?:worms:

If the formation markings suggestion is right, then they are only on the same side, or both on both sides.  That would be logical, at least.  Having it on both sides would only be required by the centre element of large formations.

Tail markings on crashed aircraft are sometimes mentioned, with no mention made of the wing marking.  Either this is an omission by the reporting officer, or (my suggestion only) perhaps it was decided at some stage that the tail markings were sufficient

Thanks for your info, Graham. The easy way out would be to build a machine without bars, but I think they look pretty cool ! I'll make a decision when I start decalling as to which I think might be right. After all, I'm not likely to get a visit from an ex - Heinkel pilot telling me that's "Wrong "

Thanks for your help anyway, as I said before it's much appreciated. :cheers:

• Like 1