World war two, movies and tv-series...

Andre B

On 5/20/2019 at 7:04 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

An Aircaft modeller and enthusiast friend went to see it. He was not too impressed.

I watched it not too long ago and I ha be to admit that it was watchable and portrayed the atmosphere of the times quite well. As regards to the overall quality of the film, when you consider that it was not a Hollywood mega millions production, but produced for a mere £80,000, I think it stands up fairly well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Andre B said:

Apple, not HBO and Masters of the Air, not the Mighty Eight. But still Spielberg and Hanks...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/11/masters-of-the-air-apple-tv-plus/

So if you don't have a particular subscription then too bad. Wait forever for the DVD.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:21 PM, bzn20 said:

I'll wait for it to hit TV , Amazon Prime , Netflix . Don't think it will be as bad as Pearl though , is that possible ?

No, definitely not possible. It would an achievement of galactic proportions to make any film as bad as Pearl Harbour. Titanic came close though as did the shocking 2011 remake of Conan the Barbarian!

You know, I still think that Tora! Tora! Tora! is immeasurably superior to the abomination that was Pearl Harbour!

Allan

• Like 5

On 12/27/2018 at 5:45 PM, AWFK10 said:

I missed "Hurricane" in the cinema, and hadn't read this thread, so when I saw the DVD on sale for £5.99 last week I was surprised to see such a recent release being sold at a knockdown price. Having watched it, I now understand why it was going so cheap. For one thing, the CGI flying scenes are the worst I've ever seen, and some elements of the plot are ridiculous. 

Agreed! I actually found it a struggle to sit through the whole film. That, and the much overhyped "Dunkirk" were two of the years most disappointing films.

I shudder to think of what any hypothetical reboot of something like the Battle of Britain would be like.

Probably  be something like the truly execrable "Red Tails and, be full of politically correct afro Caribbean /Hispanics flying P-51s bedecked in RAF markings while fighting off FW-190s flown by stereotypical, evil scar faced Germans called "Pretty Boy"? (or some such) 😒

Allan

Ps - cynical mode OFF

PPS. And before anybody jumps on me, I mean absolutely no disrespect to the members of the afore mentioned ethnic groups (and others) who fought courageously and honourably for so little reward or recognition

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

I didn't like "Dunkirk" either. Maybe it's churlish of me, because the director was genuinely trying to give it an authentic feel by using real hardware instead of CGI, but it just didn't come off. In 1940, the Luftwaffe didn't attack with one aircraft at a time. The problem was summed up in the scene where Kenneth Branagh says "There are 400,000 men on this beach" and the camera pans over an expanse of sand sparsely populated by perhaps a thousandth of that number, including cardboard cutouts. It reminded me of those historical dramas on children's TV in the 1970s where some massive battle would be represented by two men fencing unconvincingly with each other.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is brilliant (there's a good overview of it here, for anyone who hasn't seen it). I've bought but haven't yet watched a film which I understand is snappily entitled in the original Japanese version "Combined Fleet commander Yamamoto Isoroku – Truth of the Pacific War 70 years ago", though the subtitled DVD I have is called "The Admiral". I've seen some extracts, from which it looks as though it should be good.

• Like 1

I'll put in a word for "Midway". Watched it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Yes, being Hollywood, there are some omissions (especially in the variety of aircraft used) but overall a decent attempt at telling the story in a reasonably accurate way.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 6:52 PM, AWFK10 said:

I didn't like "Dunkirk" either. Maybe it's churlish of me, because the director was genuinely trying to give it an authentic feel by using real hardware instead of CGI, but it just didn't come off. In 1940, the Luftwaffe didn't attack with one aircraft at a time. The problem was summed up in the scene where Kenneth Branagh says "There are 400,000 men on this beach" and the camera pans over an expanse of sand sparsely populated by perhaps a thousandth of that number, including cardboard cutouts. It reminded me of those historical dramas on children's TV in the 1970s where some massive battle would be represented by two men fencing unconvincingly with each other.

Tora! Tora! Tora! is brilliant (there's a good overview of it here, for anyone who hasn't seen it). I've bought but haven't yet watched a film which I understand is snappily entitled in the original Japanese version "Combined Fleet commander Yamamoto Isoroku – Truth of the Pacific War 70 years ago", though the subtitled DVD I have is called "The Admiral". I've seen some extracts, from which it looks as though it should be good.

I think I saw that movie a while ago and liked it. Think it was called "Pearl Harbour" but for most it was an movie about the war and Yamamoto...

Cheers / André 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2020 at 2:25 AM, Andre B said:

Had a quick exchange with John Orloff on twitter. Seems things are moving forward now that Apple have taken it onboard. No idea why HBO decided against taking the series forward themselves. John says that he has been researching and working on the script for over five years now. It sounds as though it won't disappoint once it hits the screens. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tora!Tora!Tora! is certainly good from a fan point of view for historical interest but didnt get great reviews, too slow, too long etc for cinemagoers. For the air to air shots of pre and early war US aircraft Dive Bomber is quite good I think, though a bit 'Hollywood cheesy' as a film.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Best war film ever “Come and see” 1985 Russian film about young boy who joins the underground to avenge the destruction of his village .

On 12/6/2019 at 5:06 AM, Rickoshea52 said:

At the risk of repeating previous posts, Tora! Tora! Tora! is excellent. Others I found worthy are Das Boot and Kajaki. 

Very true.

I always thought A Bridge Too Far was also very good - it covered a very complex operation quite smoothly, for a not overlong film.

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I caught a film on YouTube recently, produced by (beware) The Asylum...

Entitled Flight World War II it tells the story of a modern airliner heading over the Atlantic to London which suddenly flies through a strange storm and finds itself flying over the London blitz in June 1940. While there it makes contact with an Army radioman on the ground, is lightly damaged by Me 262 jets pumping their 30mm cannon shells into its wings and the pilots pull the airliner's radar (which seems to have full aerial intercept capability) out of its nose compartment. They drop it to the radioman, cocooned by inflated passenger lifejackets to stop it breaking, thus giving the Allies the secret of radar before encountering the storm again and returning to their own time.

Reading that back I cannot believe I have written half of that summary. Maybe I was on LSD at the time.

• Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody that's interested and, especially if you subscribe to Amazon Video, there is a good variety of Russian produced, Russian language WWII dramas available.

Yes, they do

have English sub titles!! 😂

So far, I have saved in my watch list :Korean War - a drama - documentary about Russian pilots serving in Korea. The Night Swallows.

The Attackers - Last Fight.

Life and fate

The Dawns Here are Quiet

Spies Must Die:Crimea

Spies Must Die:The Fox Hole

Spies Must Die:Snake in the grass.
Lot to watch! 😂. OK, a bit fanciful in places but generally good quality and watchable drama

Allan

On 7/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, Wulfman said:

I found Come and See by accident a few weeks ago before reading your suggestion and have to say I found it impressive. Not an easy one to watch as more than one scene feels like a punch in the guts so not recommended to those who want some fun while watching a movie. Still a powerful description of what WW2 was for many people