Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andre B

World war two, movies and tv-series...

Recommended Posts

On 9/10/2018 at 6:06 PM, andyf117 said:

Watched 'Hurricane' online over the weekend, and have to say wasn't very impressed - some considerable distorting of facts, which is highly disappointing when portraying real people and events...

 

...eg., Jan Zumbach actually escaped to England by boat, yet the movie has him stealing a French training plane and flying across; in the film Josef František 'quits' his Czech unit because the RAF is making it a bomber squadron, when in fact he had flown with Polish units in Poland and France, arrived in the UK with a Polish contingent, remained with them and was posted to 303 - the film later has him and Zumbach cross to France in pursuit of a 109, and František crash into the White Cliffs due to lack of fuel, whereas he actually disappeared during a routine patrol and crashed in Surrey...

 

....I always feel it dishonours the lives and deeds of such men when their stories are sensationalised in such a manner, simply for the sake of it...

Sad to read about the distortion of historical facts. So the new Hurricane movie wasn't any good... :(

 

Cheers / André

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not see Hurricane and I guess some artistic licence has been taken over facts which I really don't like. Let's face it the real story is exciting/uplifting enough. 

 

That said during Darkest Hour, a film I really enjoyed, Winnie is seen taking a tube journey and listening to the views of ordinary people. It was very moving and was I believe mainly allegorical as WC was not known to have travelled by Underground but in the film the scene really worked IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen "Hurricane"  movie a month ago I found it well told story. The characters are living beeings who feel, fears and love... Of course it is  a bit schematic. But if you name it scjhematic you haven't seen also very new Polish movie about Squadron 303.... That one has maybe better air to air computer generated scenes  but all other is story is much dummy.

However watching those movies made me return to read Witold Urbanowicz trilogy (memoires) after some 35-40 years. This book was published in English but I cannot find it in net to suggest other BM users for reading. Shame that currently it is only available in Polish (for me no problem ;), but... ). 

Regards

J-W

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 9:59 PM, sinnerboy said:

 Looks a right old load of scallops to me (Polish equiv of pear Harbour? ) I don't think I'll bother with it.

( no disrespect to the Polish aircrew)

That looks truly bad 😕,I shan't be watching that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2018 at 17:59, PhoenixII said:

Hi Andre B,

                think the Dambusters remake is on extended hold, if not scrapped....................

Something to do with a certain Black Labrador and historical accuracy!

 

It is well documented that it didn't attract sufficient financial backing.

 

Thomo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Err, under funded? Are we on the same page?

I Think, if we're referring to the same person, where it may make it a smidge easier on the bank balance to have inward investment, if he wanted the film to go ahead he could cover the costs himself.

Hmm, mayhap the two new Lancasters announced by WnW may be a means to an end.......

Discuss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought there was to be a film made about an American bomber crew who, despite being badly shot, were NOT shot down by a German fighter.

The true story and details of the events of what happened are recalled in the book titled " A Higher Call".

 

In the book I was touched by the fact that the German pilot, Franz Stigler, met up with the pilot of the B17, Charlie Brown, and the relatives of his and other surviving members of that crew; 40+ lives.

 

44372735144_283e79611f_z.jpg

 

I have no doubt that once the film has been made/released, the decals for each of the aircraft will become popular subjects.

 

I hope it shall be done 

 

Edited by Mancunian airman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Err, under funded? Are we on the same page?

I Think, if we're referring to the same person, where it may make it a smidge easier on the bank balance to have inward investment, if he wanted the film to go ahead he could cover the costs himself.

Hmm, mayhap the two new Lancasters announced by WnW may be a means to an end.......

Discuss!

Very few indivduals have the wealth to self-finance a major film these days. The film is likley to cost North of £100m, I have no doubt that Mr. Jackson is a very rich man, but I doubt he has that much disposable income.

 

Furthermore, according to the esteemed journalist Hedges-Stocks’s article on the 25th Jan. 2018 on Jackson: "so I asked him about the new 'Dambusters' film...was it still in development? Unfortunately, it seems the film has not got the financial backing that it needs and, after a year of initial work, has ground to a halt, with little chance of a restart."

 

 

 

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 6:02 PM, fightersweep said:

Have to agree. If I think of Lincolnshire, I think of Bomber Command. 8th or 9th Air Force, I think Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. (I know there was Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire etc also). USAAF in Lincolnshire, then I can think of Goxhill. Beyond that and without a book, I'm struggling.

Same here. I'd add Cambridgeshire (Bassingbourn, Duxford).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Andre B said:

One of the big issues with a new Dambusters movie is the subject matter. No American studio would ever put major money towards a movie about a British bombing-raid, no matter how famous it may be. Even Peter Jackson's involvement would probably not tip the balance, unfortunately. 

 

I think that is a huge shame, but the heads of the Hollywood studios would simply not be interested. This is the reason that Hollywood financed the movie "Memphis Belle" and the forthcoming TV series about Yank bomber-crews in the UK during the war, but have never made anything celebrating the British aerial campaign. In many ways, I am still surprised that the Americans funded "Dunkirk" a few years ago, but Chris Nolan's Batman movies have brought in several billion dollars for their backers. I'm aware that Peter Jackson's movies have also brought in some very serious money for the American movie-business, but since the Lord of the Rings films, his reputation in the States has faltered somewhat. Many people are predicting that the Jackson-produced "Mortal Engines" film will be a big-budget bomb. 

 

Hollywood suits would view a new Dambusters film as simply not viable in the US market (they pay lip-service to making movies for a truly global market, but don't seem able or willing to pursue movies with worldwide appeal). The endless cycle of "re-boots", re-makes and dreadful, barrel-scraping sequels are an indication of how completely risk-averse Hollywood has become in recent years. 

 

I really hope that Peter Jackson can get enough backing to make the Dambusters movie, but I wouldn't want to put money on it happening. Only time will tell, I guess. 

 

Merry Christmas, folks. 

 

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 2:56 AM, Mancunian airman said:

The true story and details of the events of what happened are recalled in the book titled " A Higher Call".

 

In the book I was touched by the fact that the German pilot, Franz Stigler, met up with the pilot of the B17, Charlie Brown, and the relatives of his and other surviving members of that crew; 40+ lives.

A superb book.

Franz' story is quite amazing by itself. The Nth African campaign was very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

One of the big issues with a new Dambusters movie is the subject matter. No American studio would ever put major money towards a movie about a British bombing-raid, no matter how famous it may be. Even Peter Jackson's involvement would probably not tip the balance, unfortunately. 

 

I think that is a huge shame, but the heads of the Hollywood studios would simply not be interested. This is the reason that Hollywood financed the movie "Memphis Belle" and the forthcoming TV series about Yank bomber-crews in the UK during the war, but have never made anything celebrating the British aerial campaign. In many ways, I am still surprised that the Americans funded "Dunkirk" a few years ago, but Chris Nolan's Batman movies have brought in several billions dollars for their backers. I'm aware that Peter Jackson's movies have also brought in some very serious money for the American movie-business, but since the Lord of the Rings films, his reputation in the States has faltered somewhat. Many people are predicting that the Jackson-produced "Mortal Engines" film will be a big-budget bomb. 

 

Hollywood suits would view a new Dambusters film as simply not viable in the US market (they pay lip-service to making movies for a truly global market, but don't seem able or willing to pursue movies with worldwide appeal). The endless cycle of "re-boots", re-makes and dreadful, barrel-scraping sequels are an indication of how completely risk-averse Hollywood has become in recent years. 

 

I really hope that Peter Jackson can get enough backing to make the Dambusters movie, but I wouldn't want to put money on it happening. Only time will tell, I guess. 

 

Merry Christmas, folks. 

 

Chris.  

However, if the film was told from an Americans point of view, it would likely stand a better chance. Joe McCarthy (AJ-T) was originally a beachguard at Coney Island who joined the RCAF, a very tellable story in itself

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole nonesense about the dog make's me howl(sorry),yes despite the very different time's back then today it's name is deemed offensive but it's not like

the bleedin' dog flew the lead plane and has to be mentioned every five minute's, in an hour and a half film it's not really star billing and could be addressed as

"here Boy" if  Peter Jackson want's to add it to the storyline as I said Nonesense it's a great tale that is long overdue a re-telling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anybody watch the recent TV series 'The Long Song' ??

A story concerning Black slaves on a plantation. The 'N' word was used frequently  . . . . Seems that is acceptable in the context it was used but as for the Dambusters film, the N word would only be used once to signify the success of breaching the dam.

 

If the N word is offensive, I find the F word moreso as I certainly dont use it in everyday conversion.

 

Its a strange world we live in dont you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

This whole nonesense about the dog make's me howl(sorry),yes despite the very different time's back then today it's name is deemed offensive but it's not like

the bleedin' dog flew the lead plane and has to be mentioned every five minute's, in an hour and a half film it's not really star billing and could be addressed as

"here Boy" if  Peter Jackson want's to add it to the storyline as I said Nonesense it's a great tale that is long overdue a re-telling.

 

The dog's name is significant in being the codeword that was radioed back to confirm success in breaching the Mohne Dam - as such, use of 'that word' is pretty much unavoidable.

 

So whilst the name could be left out when dealing with the dog being knocked down and subsequently buried at the time when the raid was taking place, it still forms an integral part of the overall narrative and would have to be mentioned. Hence the original suggestions when the re-make of the film was first mooted that it would be re-named - I believe 'Digger' was the front-runner...

 

...it appalls me when 'political correctness' is deemed to be more important than historical facts and accuracy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 1:11 PM, andyf117 said:

Oh well, as my wife reminds me occasionally, I'm not always right about everything!

Join the club! 😁

 

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the mini-series " Band of Brothers " stands out as one to of the best. Described by some tabloid media before it was shown as " another series about how America won the war " it certain was not, but about the experiences of real people in one particular American infantry unit from D -Day onwards.. What really made it real was that a lot of the main characters including  Maj. Dick Winters ( played by Damon Lewis ) were shown at the end of each episode talking about their experiences.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Mancunian airman

I did not read the book but I came across a brief description of B-17 incident years ago while browsing the web. I do not doubt the actual events, but I do doubt Sieglitz's motives. Months earlier he was credited with shooting down a B-24 which had been seen burning for several minutes prior to that. I am more inclined to believe that in B-17 story Stieglitz for some reason was unable to open fire. Cheers

Jure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 8:50 AM, fatalbert said:

That looks truly bad 😕,I shan't be watching that.

I missed "Hurricane" in the cinema, and hadn't read this thread, so when I saw the DVD on sale for £5.99 last week I was surprised to see such a recent release being sold at a knockdown price. Having watched it, I now understand why it was going so cheap. For one thing, the CGI flying scenes are the worst I've ever seen, and some elements of the plot are ridiculous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wish they would leave the classics alone and make their own films on different themes.

 

There are loads of stories from war that can be developed into a film.

 

When some serious research is carried out in aircraft sorties and reading memoirs there are loads of things that could be developed.

 

Its so lazy and unimaginative and they're often worse.

 

The original Dunkirk is better imo and the Battle of Britain original is already excellent.

 

As you can tell it annoys me.

 

All about quick buck these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2018 at 10:56 AM, Mancunian airman said:

I thought there was to be a film made about an American bomber crew who, despite being badly shot, were NOT shot down by a German fighter.

The true story and details of the events of what happened are recalled in the book titled " A Higher Call".

 

In the book I was touched by the fact that the German pilot, Franz Stigler, met up with the pilot of the B17, Charlie Brown, and the relatives of his and other surviving members of that crew; 40+ lives.

 

44372735144_283e79611f_z.jpg

 

I have no doubt that once the film has been made/released, the decals for each of the aircraft will become popular subjects.

 

I hope it shall be done 

 

That would definitely make a great film.

 

Excellent book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 10:21 PM, bzn20 said:

 . Don't think it will be as bad as Pearl though , is that possible ?

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm...

Wonder if HBO will take an progressive move concerning "The Mighty Eight" now when they are done with Games of Thrones?

 

When it comes to Peter Jackson there are roumours about an ten part tv-serie instead of an movie...

 

Cheers / André

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...