World war two, movies and tv-series...

Andre B

We saw Dunkirk during the year that passed and we have the upcoming movie "Hurricane" in the future...

But what is happening with Peter Jacksons "Dambusters", Tom Hanks and HBO's "The Mighty Eight" and Ridley Scott's "Battle of Britain"? Are those projects abandoned?

Edited by Andre B
New information concerning The Mighty Eight...

I was only wondering about HBO's Mighty Eighth the other day. Seems to have gone very quiet indeed. Same with the Dam Busters, although Ridley Scott's Battle of Britain film was a more recent announcement I thought. Sorry...no idea what's happening with any of them, but I was looking forward to another HBO series.

Steve

• Like 1

Last I heard is that they started shooting The Mighty Eighth. Really hope  we see it soon, but I reckon 2019 maybe. 

Don Miller is the author of Masters of the Air, the book which forms the basis of the new series. John Orloff is the scriptwriter. The two are touring key sites in Lincolnshire which are linked to the USAAF on Friday, February 24th. The tour is being organized by Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire.

The pair were at the Imperial War Museum Duxford. They were there for the launch of The Friendly Invasion, a new tourism package for North Americans to encourage more US tourists to come to the UK and find out about the war service of the ancestors.

Miller said that the average age of a US crewman was 24. The average survival rate was 11 missions.

Marson expects The Mighty Eighth to be on our screens in 2019. They are working hard now to be prepared to capitalize on the interest that the series will generate.

Currently, they are using Miller and Orloff’s trip to offer convincing reasons why they should film scenes from the series in Lincolnshire. In 1942, so many American aviators were welcomed to Lincolnshire that it was dubbed the “Friendly Invasion.”

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html

Edited by Drift
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drift said:

Last I heard is that they started shooting The Mighty Eighth. Really hope  we see it soon, but I reckon 2019 maybe. 

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html

Hm, that article is from 2017.

The book was outstanding, you shouldn't miss the book if you read...

Wasn't the series going to be based on the 100th BG, or was that an early suggestion for the script? If so, be nice to use the actual tower at Thorpe Abbotts for some of the filming. Either way, I'm looking forward to this but without too high expectations....I don't want to be disappointed!

Steve

Lincolnshire seems and odd choice for a location for the 8th Air Force film, most bases were in East Anglia ( see Roger Freeman's series of books) I know there was a U.S. fighter base near Grimsby but bombers?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Have to agree. If I think of Lincolnshire, I think of Bomber Command. 8th or 9th Air Force, I think Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. (I know there was Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire etc also). USAAF in Lincolnshire, then I can think of Goxhill. Beyond that and without a book, I'm struggling.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Few days ago I've seen "Hurricane". This is a nicely done movie. It is about fameous Polish squadron 303. I am interesting how it is seen and percepted in UK and also wider in other countries? In Poland within about week it was seen by 260 000 people, so it looks that will be a great success locally.

If I compare scenes from air battles which are mostly computer graphics they are rather a bit convetional and static if you compare with "BoB" movie from 1968. But they are acceptable for me.  Anybody seen it already?

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Just caught a bit at the end of 'The Lion has Wings' a 1940 propaganda film starring Ralph Richardson as a fighter controller. Plenty film of Spitfires operating against a variety of bandits, ranging from FW Condor airliner, Ju 52s and Heinkel biplane fighters and, if the convention is baddies fly r-l, some Fairey Battles.... film ends with a big flypast of Ansons and Harts. I guess they had to make do with what film they could get in those days, and models, not cgi :)

Don

• Like 1

Hi Andre B,

think the Dambusters remake is on extended hold, if not scrapped....................

Something to do with a certain Black Labrador and historical accuracy!

• Sad 1

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere else or perhaps not the right thread but....

this evening at 8pm on channel 4 (uk) "battle of brtain model squadron".  Worth a watch me thinks.....

24 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere else or perhaps not the right thread but....

this evening at 8pm on channel 4 (uk) "battle of brtain model squadron".  Worth a watch me thinks.....

Right - I've just set a series record link on the old SKY box :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, Teuchter said:

Just caught a bit at the end of 'The Lion has Wings' a 1940 propaganda film starring Ralph Richardson as a fighter controller. Plenty film of Spitfires operating against a variety of bandits, ranging from FW Condor airliner, Ju 52s and Heinkel biplane fighters and, if the convention is baddies fly r-l, some Fairey Battles.... film ends with a big flypast of Ansons and Harts. I guess they had to make do with what film they could get in those days, and models, not cgi :)

Don

Hi ,did you see it on Talking pictures ? There are a lot of war and Aviation  films on there ,Conflict of wings ,has been on a few times .

17 minutes ago, sinnerboy said:

Looks

I'll wait for it to hit TV , Amazon Prime , Netflix . Don't think it will be as bad as Pearl though , is that possible ?

On 9/10/2018 at 5:18 PM, andyf117 said:

My wife admitted it was a mistake suggesting we watch Dunkirk together when I sounded off about the Spitfire pilot trying to smash the canopy with the butt of his revolver, instead of using the crowbar fitted to the door hatch for just such a situation...

....up to then, I'd managed to restrain myself!

IIRC at the time of Dunkirk spitfires didn't have crowbars fitted to the cockpit door.  It was I think a post BoB modification.

Selwyn

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 6:06 PM, andyf117 said:

Watched 'Hurricane' online over the weekend, and have to say wasn't very impressed - some considerable distorting of facts, which is highly disappointing when portraying real people and events...

...eg., Jan Zumbach actually escaped to England by boat, yet the movie has him stealing a French training plane and flying across; in the film Josef František 'quits' his Czech unit because the RAF is making it a bomber squadron, when in fact he had flown with Polish units in Poland and France, arrived in the UK with a Polish contingent, remained with them and was posted to 303 - the film later has him and Zumbach cross to France in pursuit of a 109, and František crash into the White Cliffs due to lack of fuel, whereas he actually disappeared during a routine patrol and crashed in Surrey...

....I always feel it dishonours the lives and deeds of such men when their stories are sensationalised in such a manner, simply for the sake of it...

Sad to read about the distortion of historical facts. So the new Hurricane movie wasn't any good... :(

Cheers / André

I've not see Hurricane and I guess some artistic licence has been taken over facts which I really don't like. Let's face it the real story is exciting/uplifting enough. 

That said during Darkest Hour, a film I really enjoyed, Winnie is seen taking a tube journey and listening to the views of ordinary people. It was very moving and was I believe mainly allegorical as WC was not known to have travelled by Underground but in the film the scene really worked IMO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen "Hurricane"  movie a month ago I found it well told story. The characters are living beeings who feel, fears and love... Of course it is  a bit schematic. But if you name it scjhematic you haven't seen also very new Polish movie about Squadron 303.... That one has maybe better air to air computer generated scenes  but all other is story is much dummy.

However watching those movies made me return to read Witold Urbanowicz trilogy (memoires) after some 35-40 years. This book was published in English but I cannot find it in net to suggest other BM users for reading. Shame that currently it is only available in Polish (for me no problem ;), but... ). 

Regards

J-W