This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Andre B

World war two, movies and tv-series...

We saw Dunkirk during the year that passed and we have the upcoming movie "Hurricane" in the future...

But what is happening with Peter Jacksons "Dambusters", Tom Hanks and HBO's "The Mighty Eight" and Ridley Scott's "Battle of Britain"? Are those projects abandoned?

Edited by Andre B
New information concerning The Mighty Eight...

I was only wondering about HBO's Mighty Eighth the other day. Seems to have gone very quiet indeed. Same with the Dam Busters, although Ridley Scott's Battle of Britain film was a more recent announcement I thought. Sorry...no idea what's happening with any of them, but I was looking forward to another HBO series.

Steve

Last I heard is that they started shooting The Mighty Eighth. Really hope  we see it soon, but I reckon 2019 maybe. 

Don Miller is the author of Masters of the Air, the book which forms the basis of the new series. John Orloff is the scriptwriter. The two are touring key sites in Lincolnshire which are linked to the USAAF on Friday, February 24th. The tour is being organized by Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire.

The pair were at the Imperial War Museum Duxford. They were there for the launch of The Friendly Invasion, a new tourism package for North Americans to encourage more US tourists to come to the UK and find out about the war service of the ancestors.

Miller said that the average age of a US crewman was 24. The average survival rate was 11 missions.

Marson expects The Mighty Eighth to be on our screens in 2019. They are working hard now to be prepared to capitalize on the interest that the series will generate.

Currently, they are using Miller and Orloff’s trip to offer convincing reasons why they should film scenes from the series in Lincolnshire. In 1942, so many American aviators were welcomed to Lincolnshire that it was dubbed the “Friendly Invasion.”

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html

Edited by Drift

8 minutes ago, Drift said:

Last I heard is that they started shooting The Mighty Eighth. Really hope  we see it soon, but I reckon 2019 maybe. 

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html

Hm, that article is from 2017.

The book was outstanding, you shouldn't miss the book if you read...

Wasn't the series going to be based on the 100th BG, or was that an early suggestion for the script? If so, be nice to use the actual tower at Thorpe Abbotts for some of the filming. Either way, I'm looking forward to this but without too high expectations....I don't want to be disappointed!

Steve

Lincolnshire seems and odd choice for a location for the 8th Air Force film, most bases were in East Anglia ( see Roger Freeman's series of books) I know there was a U.S. fighter base near Grimsby but bombers?

Have to agree. If I think of Lincolnshire, I think of Bomber Command. 8th or 9th Air Force, I think Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. (I know there was Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire etc also). USAAF in Lincolnshire, then I can think of Goxhill. Beyond that and without a book, I'm struggling.

Hi,

Few days ago I've seen "Hurricane". This is a nicely done movie. It is about fameous Polish squadron 303. I am interesting how it is seen and percepted in UK and also wider in other countries? In Poland within about week it was seen by 260 000 people, so it looks that will be a great success locally.

If I compare scenes from air battles which are mostly computer graphics they are rather a bit convetional and static if you compare with "BoB" movie from 1968. But they are acceptable for me.  Anybody seen it already?

Regards

J-W

Just caught a bit at the end of 'The Lion has Wings' a 1940 propaganda film starring Ralph Richardson as a fighter controller. Plenty film of Spitfires operating against a variety of bandits, ranging from FW Condor airliner, Ju 52s and Heinkel biplane fighters and, if the convention is baddies fly r-l, some Fairey Battles.... film ends with a big flypast of Ansons and Harts. I guess they had to make do with what film they could get in those days, and models, not cgi :)

Don

Hi Andre B,

think the Dambusters remake is on extended hold, if not scrapped....................

Something to do with a certain Black Labrador and historical accuracy!

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere else or perhaps not the right thread but....

this evening at 8pm on channel 4 (uk) "battle of brtain model squadron".  Worth a watch me thinks.....

24 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere else or perhaps not the right thread but....

this evening at 8pm on channel 4 (uk) "battle of brtain model squadron".  Worth a watch me thinks.....

Right - I've just set a series record link on the old SKY box :thumbsup:

On 9/3/2018 at 2:20 PM, Teuchter said:

Just caught a bit at the end of 'The Lion has Wings' a 1940 propaganda film starring Ralph Richardson as a fighter controller. Plenty film of Spitfires operating against a variety of bandits, ranging from FW Condor airliner, Ju 52s and Heinkel biplane fighters and, if the convention is baddies fly r-l, some Fairey Battles.... film ends with a big flypast of Ansons and Harts. I guess they had to make do with what film they could get in those days, and models, not cgi :)

Don

Hi ,did you see it on Talking pictures ? There are a lot of war and Aviation  films on there ,Conflict of wings ,has been on a few times .

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Right - I've just set a series record link on the old SKY box :thumbsup:

Saw the advert for it ,why were they using the Great Escape theme tune?

Is anyone watching Battle of Britain: Model Squadron on C4?

Top German and British RC model flyers re-enact pivotal dogfights from the BoB... 

At 00:30 on BBC 4 is Al Murray's (Pub Manager) Great British War Movies .

Looks a right old load of scallops to me (Polish equiv of pear Harbour? ) I don't think I'll bother with it.

( no disrespect to the Polish aircrew)

17 minutes ago, sinnerboy said:

Looks

I'll wait for it to hit TV , Amazon Prime , Netflix . Don't think it will be as bad as Pearl though , is that possible ?

Just going off the trailer it looks to be of the same ilk as 'Dunkirk' which was truly appalling, Pearl harbour's never looked so good.

Edited by spaddad

Content withdrawn - I will NOT be threatened by a moderator, simply because I queried the actions of another...

Edited by andyf117

Content withdrawn - I will NOT be threatened by a moderator, simply because I queried the actions of another...

Edited by andyf117

On 9/10/2018 at 5:18 PM, andyf117 said:

My wife admitted it was a mistake suggesting we watch Dunkirk together when I sounded off about the Spitfire pilot trying to smash the canopy with the butt of his revolver, instead of using the crowbar fitted to the door hatch for just such a situation...

....up to then, I'd managed to restrain myself!

IIRC at the time of Dunkirk spitfires didn't have crowbars fitted to the cockpit door.  It was I think a post BoB modification.

Selwyn

Edited by andyf117