1/48 Classic Ariframes Anson Mk1 RAAF - updated 02 Oct 18

I am starting to work on the interior now of the 1/48 Anson using the Classic Airframes boxing of it. I really dislike the amount of resin used in these kits as they use it for many parts that don't need it eg the framing is poorly cast and chunks of it are going to be replaced with plastic rod.

The interior green needs some more work and I have yet to paint some of the detail areas. At this stage I am tossing up between A4-6 of 22 SQN circa 1939 or No 1 Comms Flight circa 1941. Both are in overall aluminum and have their gun turrets.

I have put in a bit more of the interior and plan to put in some wiring behind some of the dials, radios etc. The instrument panel was a pain to position as there are no location points visible and I can't find an image of the real Mk 1 to show me the positioning. Where it is here fits and the canopy goes over it when I do test fitting so it is a good a spot as any.

I still have more additions for interior where I will be replacing poorly cast resin with plastic and building up a few extra bits and pieces. I am not going to get that excited as I don't think that much will be seen once it is done and closed up.

file.php?id=17379

file.php?id=17378

The wings are not too bad when going together. The wheel well is a bit dodgy as there are no location markings to help you locate the internal bits.

file.php?id=17375

While the wing goes together well the engine nacelle needs some help as the profile of the front bit is different from the wing part. A bit of filler and some work with a file and wet and dry managed to get it looking ok. This isn't hard but it does take time.

file.php?id=17374

Edited by Harvs73
  • Like 5

On 5/20/2018 at 6:22 PM, Harvs73 said:

The instrument panel was a pain to position as there are no location points visible and I can't find an image of the real Mk 1 to show me the positioning.

Does it need to be your subject Mk.1 or any Mk.1? I can find some photos of MH120 for you? The Reids went all-out to make it accurate inside.

• 4 months later...

I have done some more work on the cockpit and added the rear canopy finally. The section behind the canopy that is either a fixed section or the turret is painful to fit and get to look correct. The front section of the canopy is just there for fit at the moment. I also forgot to ensure that all the poorly cast framework was painted correctly prior to adding the rear canopy.

8iyiexY.jpg

Edited by Harvs73
  • Like 4

The wings and tail are now on. The tail needed a bit of trimming to get the same angle on both sides but that was an easy fix.

The front canopy did not fit well but that could be because the fuselage is a fraction wide and needs trimming prior to putting together (lesson learnt for the next one). Some serious filling was done as well as filing to get it the right shape.

The wings are fractionally wide at the join so I need to do some industrial filing to get them the right size then do some rescribing. This could be easily solved if I had trimmed the trailing edge a fraction more than I had. I did test fit them but they looked ok at the time, obviously they were not

oYy9onl.jpg

H4wJjKp.jpg

mRkX6tF.jpg

Rf09Y7M.jpg

KEIJf41.jpg

Edited by Harvs73

• 3 months later...

The first coats of the Tamiya white is on the underside of the Anson. The model is going to be Anson Mk 1 W1530, No 2 AAU, 1945 in the scheme of white undersides, Dark Green/Dark Earth uppers with Red cross under wings and on the fuselage. The engine cowl also has the lower half in red for something different.

file.php?id=18356

file.php?id=18355

• Like 1

It's coming along very well David, I just love Ansons!  The two most challenging parts of this kit are still ahead of you; 1. the location and fit of the undercarriage, and 2. the resin engine cowlings which have no fixing points other than the tops of the cylinders!

Max