Converting Monty's Humber.

One of my uncles used to own a pre-war Humber Snipe - a 1938 or '39 model, as I recall. I believe that this model formed the basis for the wartime Humber staff car, as per the Airfix "Monty's Humber" kit. Has anyone any thoughts on how difficult it might be to convert the Airfix kit into a pre-war sedan, so that I can do Uncle Ritchie's Green Machine? I foresee a new set of wheels from an as-yet unidentified source and a new cabin roof (plunge moulded over a wooden former?) and matching doors as the major items, but would appreciate any thoughts or guidance from the assembled multitude.

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

One of my uncles used to own a pre-war Humber Snipe - a 1938 or '39 model, as I recall. I believe that this model formed the basis for the wartime Humber staff car, as per the Airfix "Monty's Humber" kit. Has anyone any thoughts on how difficult it might be to convert the Airfix kit into a pre-war sedan, so that I can do Uncle Ritchie's Green Machine? I foresee a new set of wheels from an as-yet unidentified source and a new cabin roof (plunge moulded over a wooden former?) and matching doors as the major items, but would appreciate any thoughts or guidance from the assembled multitude.

This any help?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235035848-airfix-132-humber-snipe/

Selwyn

Thanks, but not much help. Ritchie's car was a conventional four-door sedan, not a convertible. It's mostly the process for doing the tin top that has put me off thus far.

The only way I can see you doing the tin roof is to build a Humber body. Glue on a bit of balsa and carefully carve and sand that to shape. Use that to mould plastic sections, or build the roof up in thin plastic strips laminated and fillered, or make a one piece moulded roof. Or if you make the right thickness allowance, use the balsa roof as a buck; grease the balsa and use tissue and/or fibreglass and fibreglass resin on it to make the roof. The window 'glass' can be cut from clear plastic sheet

Admiral Puff (Sah!)

There may be a solution AP in Slot Car bodies

Check these guys out www.pendleslotracing.co.uk, I know they do a whole load of old British car bodies that you can modify. Failing which, have a google around to see if anyone hasn't possibly already made a resin body for the Super Snipe.

Last option, But in 32nd scale I'd say its a bit of a stretch but you might be able to find a Die Cast body for one :) 

Hope that helps

Steve 

20 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The only way I can see you doing the tin roof is to build a Humber body. Glue on a bit of balsa and carefully carve and sand that to shape. Use that to mould plastic sections, or build the roof up in thin plastic strips laminated and fillered, or make a one piece moulded roof. Or if you make the right thickness allowance, use the balsa roof as a buck; grease the balsa and use tissue and/or fibreglass and fibreglass resin on it to make the roof. The window 'glass' can be cut from clear plastic sheet

Thanks - I think! That's the way I had thought of doing it. Trouble is, every time I try something like that I make a complete stuff-up of the job. I thought I'd ask here to see if there were any alternative ideas out in the collective BM mind.

16 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

Admiral Puff (Sah!)

There may be a solution AP in Slot Car bodies

Check these guys out www.pendleslotracing.co.uk, I know they do a whole load of old British car bodies that you can modify. Failing which, have a google around to see if anyone hasn't possibly already made a resin body for the Super Snipe.

Last option, But in 32nd scale I'd say its a bit of a stretch but you might be able to find a Die Cast body for one :) 

Hope that helps

Steve 

Not just a pretty face! (That man who said "Not even", report to the RSM ...) I hadn't even thunk of slot cars! I'll check around and see what might be out there.