Meng Merkava MK III D (Late) LIC

Very nice (and fast) work there Lloyd. Seven days from start to near completion. I don't know if it's of any use to you with regards to the anti slip surface, but many years ago somebody advocated using talcum powder to give a cast texture to hulls/turrets. If I remember right, the idea was to apply something like varnish and then sprinkle the talc onto the area. I've used it for a cast effect and as far as I can remember it worked.

John.

Thanks Phil

Thanks John

Yes I tried sprinkling some embossing powder over diluted white glue and that didn't work too well. Some places it was barely visible

and other places it was 2" thick.  I tried brushing off the excess and it kept wanting to ball up so I just washed it all off.

Finally I gave up. I can't do this.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Well despite the issues with the anti-slip texture I think the final result looks superb Lloyd. Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Widow

Thanks Stix

It looks like a Merkava. Sure a difference in the turret between the MK 1 Hybrid and the MK 4 Late, lots of added on armour.

It's going to get a bunch more dust and dirt and some touch ups on the parts I missed

then add it to the collection.

Take care,

Lloyd 

Nice version of the Merkava Llyod. Looks like the Meng version went together rather well. As to antislip I had a few experiments in that area. Eventually I used some Mr Surfacer 500. I painted on a thin layer and once it had set a little bit I used a rough brush to pickle the surface. Didn't look too bad when I was finished. In some of the other kits Meng provides an antislip surface and at 1:35 its quite fine so don't overdo the Mr Surfacer.

Cheers

John. 

Lloyd, another method that I've seen somewhere was somebody used wet and dry sanding paper and cut it to shape and glued it into the appropriate places. If I remember correctly, it was a fine grade like 1200. Just a thought.

John.

how about  Mr Surfacer? was thinking 2 pieces of tape on the edges then fill in the "gap" - you could sand it down... let me go try it for you

15 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

how about  Mr Surfacer? was thinking 2 pieces of tape on the edges then fill in the "gap" - you could sand it down... let me go try it for you

something like this (excuse the bad masking):

28534620858_6a949832b3_z.jpgIMG_20180528_135326 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

Rob

Hey that looks great!!  Wish I had came up with something like this as my attempts with embossing powder and fine sand weren't worth

nothing, except cleaning up a mess after trying and re-painting in one instance.

Next time I'm at the LHS I'll get some Mr Surfacer for another victim.

Thanks again.

This is moved to the RFI page now, it is what it is.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Very nice Lloyd another fine looking model :like:

You were asking about the model Show in Nanton  I thought I would look it up on the web to see what day but I don't see it so I am wondering if it it postponed this year :think:

Regards

Richard

• 1 year later...

Beautiful Merkava. I like the kit. Now I'm building a Merkava Mk.II 1/35 Academy. I have a question, you have experience with IDf tanks and anti slip. I have read both in the Czech Republic on the modeling forum and in England that can be used sand for chinchilla for bathing. What "glue", lacquer, paint do you use to hold against slip on the model? Products from VMS, Hull Tex I know and try. Thank you for the info. I wish health and well-being. Edward, Czech Republic.