PST 1:72 BM-13 'Katyusha' Rocket Launcher (Chevrolet G-7117) ***COMPLETED ***

Hi all, here's my latest WIP, a personal voyage of discovery in several ways: my first 'small scale' (ie smaller than 1:35) military vehicle, my first non-tracked vehicle, my first Russian subject, my first PST kit...

It's a matter of some debate as to whether I'm even in the right forum with this! Certainly Chevrolet lorries were not known for their armour protection - having said that, this particular incarnation is definitely a fighting vehicle!

So, the usual box-art and sprue shots to start off:

28333568008_3927479fe5_b.jpg

40399474650_f4f1cb31ac_b.jpg

The mouldings are not too bad - apart from a fair few mould lines - and for a kit this small there are a significant number of parts. In fact, there are too many! It took me a while to realise, but in this kit PST appear to be playing the same game as other kit makers like AZModel, in that they produce one set of sprues to cover several different models - the supplied set of instructions dictate which version you end up making. This kit seems to provide for making either the BM-13, or the BM-13N - a larger version (a Studebaker) with a dual rear axle. It would have helped to have a statement to this effect in the instructions, it would have saved a fair bit of confusion! Speaking of which, the instructions, shall I be generous and say, do rather leave something to be desired...

Here's the chassis after the instruction to hack out 10mm of it had been carried out:

28333547138_e436f161d4_b.jpg

... swiftly followed by more hacking of extraneous bits and some filling of a couple of sink holes:

28333544898_d83c97b70d_b.jpg

The rocket launch cradle was fairly straightforward once the girder sections had all been cleaned up:

42160169162_cd52bec296_b.jpg

The instructions called for some lengths of wire to be used to hold the separate parts in the right orientation while it was being glued. I think I will cut the wire to size and keep it in place as a strengthening mechanism. The rest of the supporting framework was a bit of a challenge, due mainly to the parts not fitting properly and the instructions not being clear enough about where exactly they were to be glued. Thankfully, I realised before committing to gluing that there was insufficient gap for the lower set of rockets to pass freely up the girder underside on their way to launch. So I was able to put that right:

41306047635_7637a8ff84_b.jpg

That's really all the progress worth reporting on at the moment, hopefully more soon.

Thanks for looking in :)

• Like 6

On 5/20/2018 at 1:37 AM, Ripaman said:

That is a lot of firsts Clive, nice start seams to have a quite a few parts and they look good :like:

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard. Some parts are good, some have massive sprue gates which on more than one occasion has caused the part to break as I was trying to free it. Managed to repair though, so no great issue.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:26 AM, Bullbasket said:

Good luck with that Clive. It's not called Braille Scale for nothing. Nice start.

John.

Thanks John, I can definitely identify with it being called that! :D

On 5/20/2018 at 8:45 AM, Hewy said:

That Looks to be a Nicley detailed  little kit clive, magnifying lens at the ready

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn, my decision to purchase a head-mounted magnifier a few years ago is entirely justified, purely on the basis of starting this kit!

Some minor progress this week whilst other tasks have taken priority. The wire in the rocket launch cradle has been trimmed back:

41400302195_d823876e76_b.jpg

The bit that the cradle sits on, that allows elevation to the desired trajectory, was next - although I considered that the winding mechanisms were infeasibly large for 1:72 scale hands to operate them, so out came the wire:

41400294795_694a1a1bd1_b.jpg

I was also able to find some very thin wire (from the earth braiding round a mobile phone charging cable) to apply the grille to the headlamp protectors:

40496860630_f36f24d99a_b.jpg

A bit fiddly, but should look fine once painted.

The same wire was used to improve the look of the cable drum at the front of the lorry (part of the built-in towing/recovery mechanism):

28333541198_f9468f6270_b.jpg

There you go, not much in the way of progress but it's a couple of steps forward. 

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A nice little project, very good so far ...:popcorn:

Cheers Clive :D

Thanks Francis, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, lascar said:

nice beguining !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mr lascar, you are most kind.

Another stumbling step forward today. Originally I had intended to just scribe the Door panels to make them more obvious, but then it occurred to me that it might be a nice touch to have one of the doors left open. So a couple of hours of drilling out and cutting out of the driver's side door, I had this:

28473594108_5942b10837_b.jpg

Still to be tidied up, and I need to thin the inside of the door a little, but it's promising. I guess the downside is I now need to try and do some interior detail in the cab!

Wish me luck... alternatively, just laugh! That's what I'm going to do anyway!

• Like 1

Bloody 'ell Clive, are you a masochist  😬.....talk about putting yourself through the pain barrier....:banghead:

Looking good so far though mate.......:yes::goodjob:, even more so knowing what pain you went through on that door....:)

Regards

Simon.

• Thanks 1

• clive_t changed the title to PST 1:72 BM-13 'Katyusha' Rocket Launcher (Chevrolet G-7117)
On 5/25/2018 at 9:48 PM, Redcoat2966 said:

Bloody 'ell Clive, are you a masochist  😬.....talk about putting yourself through the pain barrier....:banghead:

Looking good so far though mate.......:yes::goodjob:, even more so knowing what pain you went through on that door....:)

Regards

Simon.

Lol I think Specsavers have given up and gone home! I am now wearing my head-mounted magnifier to eat my lunch! God knows what the other restaurant customers must think....

On 5/26/2018 at 8:38 AM, Bullbasket said:

Nice work with the headlight protectors. That's fiddly!

John.

Thanks John, fiddly indeed when you have microscopically small bits of wire stubbornly sticking to the tweezers by virtue of electrostatic attraction... I think it will be worth it, though, once some paint has been applied.

Opportunities to progress further have been somewhat limited over the past few days. However, I did manage to do this yesterday:

41532186005_3f365d46bc_b.jpg

The seat has been bulked out a little with some Milliput. One small problem: when I did a dry fit of the seat in the cab, it appears that the seat back was too high when compared with some reference photos. So I pared it back by about 1mm. which made it nearer the mark:

27564190737_6eb2385aca_b.jpg

Today, I tried to add a little more detail to the cab interior, again based on some reference photos I found. Specifically, a more correctly shaped gear stick, as well as a hand brake and the usual foot pedals:

41532181065_58f1904516_b.jpg

27564184577_4320d18b5d_b.jpg

Another dry fit of the cab body:

41711132554_3cfe07b010_b.jpg

Try not to laugh too loudly, but I am hoping to replace the moulded door handles with metal wire, and add internal window winders! Good luck with that then...

Thanks again for your interest :)

Edited by clive_t
Rubbish spelling again
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Lol I think Specsavers have given up and gone home! I am now wearing my head-mounted magnifier to eat my lunch! God knows what the other restaurant customers must think....

Funny Clive :thumbsup:........I think I'll stick to 1/35th though....I need my magnifier on this scale now as it is........it's painful enough for me.

Stalin's Little Organ is coming along though.........:yes:

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2018 at 8:42 PM, Redcoat2966 said:

Funny Clive :thumbsup:........I think I'll stick to 1/35th though....I need my magnifier on this scale now as it is........it's painful enough for me.

Stalin's Little Organ is coming along though.........:yes:

I don't blame you mate... I think you called it right with asking if I was a masochist...

On 5/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, FrancisGL said:

I really like the detail of the seat, good trick ...:popcorn:

Cheers Clive 👍

Cheers Francis, much appreciated.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:06 AM, Hewy said:

I like what youre doing here clive, good show

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn, definitely not doing my eyesight any favours though :hypnotised:

Some more modest progress, in spite of, rather than because of, the 'instructions':

Most of the chassis is now complete... eventually... having relocated the rear suspension twice before realising that the instructions, having previously required me to cut out a 10mm section of the chassis frame, then neglected to remind me that I would need to do the same for the main prop shaft! One world of pain, coming right up... I had to drill out a hole in each section and rejoin it with a short length of thin wire to try and strengthen it. The result:

41629867685_50ff9b7647_b.jpg

42532094781_6a4c31ff7e_b.jpg

By comparison, the window winders and handles were plain sailing:

27661474427_db30d145f0_b.jpg

27661471597_d82ab044f0_b.jpg

I am now thinking of how best to glaze the thing! Please, somebody stop me!!

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks John, Sarge, I appreciate your kind comments.

A bit more progress in several short stints during the past week, I tried my hand at pre-shading with NATO Black and some splodges of white on the panels and bonnet. Then today, I finally got to make use of some Valejo Russian Green, and gave the whole lot a once over:

42044558724_633692c730_b.jpg

Hopefully not too long now before I am able to start putting sub-assemblies together!

• Like 2

Nice work Clive, it's always worth going a little light on your base, to allow wiggle room for filters & washes etc. and what you have there looks about spot on.....The grill turned out exceedingly well.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sarge, not sure I'll be able to do anything too fancy to it - first things first, I need to go and learn what filters are and how one applies them!

Anyway, some more progress today - albeit in a slightly out-of-sequence way; I applied the decals to the doors of the lorry. Thankfully there are only 2 to apply to each side:

40986170560_35df4e50ae_b.jpg

As you can see I also succumbed to the temptation to not only glaze the cab, but give the windscreen some wipers!

The rear window was glazed also, by carefully applying a thin film of Mod Podge, and allowing it to dry to its normal clear finish:

40986173650_2f40773d9a_b.jpg

The bench seat was glued to the cab floor:

28923440378_93f7c1b330_b.jpg

The cab floor was then united with the cab body and the front wheel arch/running board assembly:

42796715581_56ab05fd3b_b.jpg

It was all going swimmingly, until I tried to fit the rear wheel arches - the instructions once again conspired against me as the diagram shows the other part for the double-axled Studebaker version! End result: I ruined the part by trying to cut bits out of it, and making a total hash of it... :(

I need to work out a Plan B for this, so stay tuned!

• Like 2

very nice.... Clive, out interest, can I get the dimensions of the rocket rails please? length height, width (if possible) and gap between them? thinking of scratchbuilding some for a new project... thanks

• Thanks 1

No problem Rob:

Rail length: 70mm

Rail height: 2.5mm

Rail thickness (max) : 1.5mm

Rail thickness (min) : >1mm ('I' section)

Gap between rails : Just over 2mm (4mm from rail centre line to rail centre line)

If you want some other pics of the rail e.g. from a particular angle, let me know :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Just as a PS to the above, those are the dimensions of the model, it's quite possible that at least some of the measurements are not very prototypical, e.g. thickness of the rails!

• Like 1

I gotta hand it to you Clive.....you do like put yourself through the ringer though.........it would have already gone out of the window at high velocity if it was on my bench........:S.....fiddly is an understatement.....😬

It's definitely one for the future....but a bit bigger....:like:

Looking good though. Very tight and clean for such a small scale......nice:goodjob:

Regards

Simon.

• Thanks 1