PST 1:72 BM-13 'Katyusha' Rocket Launcher (Chevrolet G-7117) ***COMPLETED ***

Thanks Simon, for your kind comments.

Presenting Plan B... no not him, this:

42823183221_09359cfa93_b.jpg

These are the extra rear wheel arches for the double-axle Studebaker version. Well, not any more they aren't...

42105397114_43f3bfcd47_b.jpg

Another spray of primer, pre-shades and the Russian Green, and we are more-or-less back where we started a couple of days ago:

42161609074_78e3c6d329_b.jpg

Oh, and I did the M13 rockets in a plain white, once I'd hacked the tails to be a bit more M13-shape:

42161614184_3eb5c73601_b.jpg

So my usual 2-steps-forward-1-back kind of progress, but some progress at least.

Thanks for watching! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

So my usual 2-steps-forward-1-back kind of progress, but some progress at least.

I know that feeling well.....Oh so well!  ;)

So are you a Braille convert?  :hmmm:

You could do quite a range of Soviet & Russian MRLs, they seem to be a popular subject.....I've got my eye on this one:whistle:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

So are you a Braille convert?  :hmmm:

You could do quite a range of Soviet & Russian MRLs, they seem to be a popular subject.....I've got my eye on this one:whistle:

I wouldn't say I was a convert, but by the same token I wouldn't rule out doing another on this scale, as long as it was a similarly interesting/unusual subject, and ideally a different kit maker! :D

Whaddya fancy?  :shrug:

There's some smashing stuff in this scale, PST are kind of middle of the road, taking into account the extremes, but they do look the part once they're done.....Maybe take a look at Flyhawk's limited, but excellent range?

http://henk.fox3000.com/flyhawkmodel.htm

• Thanks 1

Interesting little site there, thanks... amazing to think, though, that there is PE stuff to go with some of them!

One possible option I have, currently waiting quietly in the stash pile, is a Rubicon Models 1:56 scale 15cwt truck, acquired recently whilst on a visit to Bovington. That may well be my next project... although maybe not... (he said, enigmatically ;) )

Any road up, some progress today with my current challenge - the stand-in rear mudguards appear to fit the bill nicely. :thumbsup2: Flushed with the success of that, I went ahead and fixed them on along with the rear wheels. I Then did a bit of weathering before fixing the cab to the chassis:

42001909025_2194662ef7_b.jpg

The front wheels are dry-fitted at the moment.

I also made a start on weathering the rocket rack assembly:

42184167534_f8308b04f1_b.jpg

Getting near the end of the vehicle build, although I feel some sort of small dio base might be in order. I will have a think about that!

Thanks for looking in :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, sorry for so few updates this past week or so - been on me holibobs :)

Getting close now - rockets loaded onto the lower rack:

43154354691_52edef70c9_b.jpg

The rack was then fitted to the mounting on the chassis (via a piece of wire acting as the hinge mechanism), and the rockets loaded onto the upper rack:

43154345701_b7f367153b_b.jpg

Finally for now, the driver's side door is fixed on, in the casually open position:

43154351271_86c220363d_b.jpg

Still a bit of weathering etc needed, but nearly there.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, yes I've found it a fascinating subject to research even allowing for the kit's pitfalls. I have no doubt you would make a 1:35 scale model totally sing and dance, were you to take it on!

Thanks John, a week in the wilds of Lincolnshire - not the jet-setter's destination of choice I am sure, but it's a nice part of the world to visit and a good time was had, especially with the excellent weather B)

• Like 1

An unexpected window of opportunity this morning, allowed me to apply a mud effect and a dark brown wash. This is the reason for the front wheels not being fixed in place yet:

28344150237_e7a0a34380_b.jpg

I then cut some admittedly rather crude masks to try and leave a windscreen wiper 'clean' area of windscreen, in preparation for a final spray of mud colour:

28344146827_c836393c15_b.jpg

Final spraying will hopefully happen tomorrow!

• Like 3

Nice job that Clive, very nice weathering....especially at that scale.     

I have to do the masked out windscreen on one of mine, still building up to the moment to give it a try......:S

:goodjob:

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sarge, Simon for your most kind comments. The 'mud' is several shades of Games Workshop acrylics, with talcum powder for added texture. Come tomorrow that should be up for a bit of dry brushing, with a bit of luck.

It looks good, but I'd definitely recommend another shade of mud to be added, to break it up a bit. Of course, you haven't finished weathering it yet, so I'll wait and see.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sairou, yes I needed to add some varying lighter shades to indicate where the mud had dried. Hopefully I have managed that this morning, with a combination of dry-brushing and a quick whiff of an air brush:

42515454664_81f091a658_b.jpg

28364600287_277fe04332_b.jpg

42329504485_5a8aa33610_b.jpg

42329502715_8547de0f5b_b.jpg

I haven't really made a start on a dio, other than it will be set into a 6x4 photo frame - at the moment I have an issue with the available Soviet army figures - neither Airfix nor Zvezda have impressed so far. So with that particular avenue temporarily closed, I am inclined to call this one done! Hopefully some better pics in an RFI will be forthcoming this weekend.

Thanks, as ever, for all your comments and encouragement, it's a big part of the reason why it's turned out as well as it has! :)

• Like 6

• clive_t changed the title to PST 1:72 BM-13 'Katyusha' Rocket Launcher (Chevrolet G-7117) ***COMPLETED ***

The Zvezda figures in themselves are ok in terms of moulding quality, however there would be a fair amount of customising to do as the poses are all 'battle' related, e.g. pointing a rifle etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, much appreciated. From looking at the list, I have set 6103, so I shall possibly have to look at the other options.

• Like 1

Clive, I may be able to help out with some figures.....No promises, but I'll check what I have. 

Is there a particular scene you have in mind.....I have Soviet figures from most of the major manufacturers, so if you see something on Plastic Soldier Review that would work, let me know.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that most kind offer Sarge. I guess in an ideal world I am looking for something akin to artillery figures, or at the very least some that look like they are carrying something heavy, plus a guy about to step up into the cab of the lorry. It's all very fluid at the moment, though, so I will have a look on PSR and get back to you.

Thanks again, sir.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:23 PM, clive_t said:

Thanks Sairou, yes I needed to add some varying lighter shades to indicate where the mud had dried. Hopefully I have managed that this morning, with a combination of dry-brushing and a quick whiff of an air brush:

42515454664_81f091a658_b.jpg

28364600287_277fe04332_b.jpg

42329504485_5a8aa33610_b.jpg

42329502715_8547de0f5b_b.jpg

I haven't really made a start on a dio, other than it will be set into a 6x4 photo frame - at the moment I have an issue with the available Soviet army figures - neither Airfix nor Zvezda have impressed so far. So with that particular avenue temporarily closed, I am inclined to call this one done! Hopefully some better pics in an RFI will be forthcoming this weekend.

Thanks, as ever, for all your comments and encouragement, it's a big part of the reason why it's turned out as well as it has! :)

Hi Clive I use milcast figures for my 1 72 models they are 1 76 scale but the difference is not noticeable on most models and the quality is exelent,  if you have problems finding them let me know.

Bazer

• Thanks 1