Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Roman Schilhart

1/72 Academy Hawker Tempest 'Newchurch Wing'

Recommended Posts

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's my 1/72 Academy Hawker Tempest, built from the box.

I used Print Scale decals (72-273) to represent an aircraft of 3. Squadron, based at Newchurch, England, in summer 1944.

I did not like Print Scale's RAF Roundel colors, so these were replaced by products from Xtradecals.

More info and period photographs on squadrons based at the Newchurch Advanced Landing Ground here: http://newchurchvillage.org/history/newchurch-ww2/squadron-photo-gallery/

The model was painted with Gunze acrylics.

All photographs by Wolfgang Rabel of IGM Cars & Bikes.

 

af71970d-b063-4c9b-af32-0f21831da5ff.jpg

fdae2185-bf27-4891-ab97-5a4c83cbfd01.jpg

4ba209a6-6924-4bcf-8568-128128af072d.jpg

b0a64a52-4414-4771-9d70-d2d1c88265e1.jpg

f3e8ab5c-d978-45f5-928b-dbcb71f6a781.jpg

d6b6d97c-1c47-4faa-9266-9759cf1d192a.jpg

3303b50b-ce89-422c-aa89-409434575100.jpg

64275ef1-b31f-4667-8780-83609665dbcd.jpg

f092ce61-02e3-475c-a920-8cbf7e149cbf.jpg

1a84fbb6-674d-47e4-8815-3b75aca2a9c9.jpg

87dc7505-ecd5-4988-8026-7193b16c7c9d.jpg

c7985359-6d5a-4596-b162-a8ebb2e43667.jpg

The 'Chipping effect' on the D-Day stripes was done with Vaseline creme:

 

52bafa9e-1b2e-4088-abd4-9ee689c59b53.jpg

f46864c5-0771-4d9a-801f-b23225e7d766.jpg

 

c071c7eb-fe42-407b-893d-a2e0ef779514.jpg

92ca85f7-2292-4640-b08d-43fee2d55fcb.jpg

 

 

According to original photographs, 3rd sqaudron aircraft had a halo effect around the fuselage code letters.

This was probably the result of the ground crew, hastily painting the D-Day stripes around the letters.

I tried to replicate this effect with masks from Tamiya tape.

These were cut slightly larger then the corresponding letters.

To avoid the Black/White stripes shining through the Roundel, I masked these areas too.

 

df1e599d-5b5e-4264-97e1-ed0c9cd77d7b.JPG

 

83f9dc94-b4c2-4e8b-9696-fc8b0556f624.JPG

 

7fc8de67-1c29-4fb0-bd7e-bfc6574658f4.jpg

42a1f238-499f-4090-ba78-a2b6ce439377.jpg

 

Exhaust stains airbrushed using Gunze H95 Smoke with a drop of H12 Black added:

 

b3747f91-4315-46b0-b834-59ff9b3ac07e.jpg

 

4a83bbdf-70fa-46f6-93ba-74906db5eb9e.jpg

b48b5277-da17-4914-a3d9-8aad7562c1bc.jpg

e46e1554-ef3d-4711-8dd3-6e0abcda093a.jpg

 

Thank you for your interest.

Best greetings from Vienna,

Roman

df7edb3c-2cc4-4919-a042-c380d46bc06f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful modelling and painting simply stunning

 

On a personal note I doubt any invasion stripes lasted long enough to get that weathered, but very interesting technique 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like it very much. Nice painting and chipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great build, my favourite photo of the finished model is the fourth one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant.  I like how you did the code letter surrounds.

 

Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have done an excellent job putting this Tempest together and the paintwork is superb. The only comment I would make is that I believe the wheel wells should be interior grey/green instead of silver. The Typhoon and Tempest prototypes definitely had silver wheel wells but it was documented that all production Tempests should be Grey/Green. The Tempest is one of my favourites aeroplanes and although it didn't arrive until late in the war it had a fascinating history flying some of the most dangerous types of mission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A real stunner, Roman.  Tempests always look particularly speedy on 'Invasion Stripes'. A great paint finish and excellent work on the roundels and codes over the stripes.  Also, very interested to hear about your use of Vaseline for the chipping.  I haven't heard of that before.  Great photography by Wolfgang as well.  I agree with you about Printscale's roundel colours.  They look much too bright to me.  Xtradecals' are much more accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic work Roman,beautifully detailed paintwork set's  it apart,great to see such quality work on the sometimes unloved Academy kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've captured the raw power of the original perfectly. Nice one.

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A real stunner, Roman.  Tempests always look particularly speedy on 'Invasion Stripes'. A great paint finish and excellent work on the roundels and codes over the stripes.  Also, very interested to hear about your use of Vaseline for the chipping.  I haven't heard of that before.  Great photography by Wolfgang as well.  I agree with you about Printscale's roundel colours.  They look much too bright to me.  Xtradecals' are much more accurate.

Hello and thanks for your interest.

Please find a short tutorial about the 'Vaseline trick' in the appendix of this RFI:

 

3 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

You have done an excellent job putting this Tempest together and the paintwork is superb. The only comment I would make is that I believe the wheel wells should be interior grey/green instead of silver. The Typhoon and Tempest prototypes definitely had silver wheel wells but it was documented that all production Tempests should be Grey/Green.

Thank you for feedback, I was convinced that all Tempest had their landing gear bays and inside of doors painted in Silver (at least that's what my reference material says).

Will keep that in mind for my next build!

 

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Fantastic work Roman,beautifully detailed paintwork set's  it apart,great to see such quality work on the sometimes unloved Academy kit.

The company has a doubtful reputation for accuracy.

Their Typhoon, the Fw-190A and the P-51D Mustang look like caricatures of the real thing.

The Tempest is one of the better Academy kits, along with the Fi-156 Storch and the Fw-190D.

It was a joyful, trouble-free build from the box, the only problem was self-inflicted: I broke one of the landin gear legs...

 

16 hours ago, Graeme H said:

 

On a personal note I doubt any invasion stripes lasted long enough to get that weathered, but very interesting technique 

Good point, Graeme.

I confess the chipping is meant to make the surface painting look more interesting and cannot be confirmed on original photographs.

May I call that 'artistic license'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pipthepilot said:

You have done an excellent job putting this Tempest together and the paintwork is superb. The only comment I would make is that I believe the wheel wells should be interior grey/green instead of silver. The Typhoon and Tempest prototypes definitely had silver wheel wells but it was documented that all production Tempests should be Grey/Green. The Tempest is one of my favourites aeroplanes and although it didn't arrive until late in the war it had a fascinating history flying some of the most dangerous types of mission.

Errrr not according to Camouflage & Markings number 4 page 78 quote :-

On all prototype and production Tornado , Typhoon & Tempest aircraft the insides of the undercarriage doors & wheel wells were ALUMINIUM

or natural metal also were the tail wheel doors, oleo leg and wheel hubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Errrr not according to Camouflage & Markings number 4 page 78 quote :-

On all prototype and production Tornado , Typhoon & Tempest aircraft the insides of the undercarriage doors & wheel wells were ALUMINIUM

or natural metal also were the tail wheel doors, oleo leg and wheel hubs.

There is a document signed by Sidney Camm that includes the statement "all Tempest wheel wells will be painted RAF interior green from the factory"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Good point, Graeme.

I confess the chipping is meant to make the surface painting look more interesting and cannot be confirmed on original photographs.

May I call that 'artistic license'?

You most certainly may

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great build! Beautiful paint! Professionnal photo also! Top work

 

Frank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely superb.

 

I'd have just scuffed and dirtied up the invasion stripes rather than done the chipping, but it's a stunner nevertheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous work, looks perfect to my eye 👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking for inspiration for my Academy Tempest build that I have just started and couldn't have found a better example. Great work as always Roman.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A superb Tempest. I especially like the overall finish and subtle weathering.

 

Thanks for sharing.

 

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fantasticmodel great work and I will have to look at this chipping method as this looks very interesting. 

I live locally to Newchurch and the link you have included are very interesting too.  Thank you for sharing. 

All the best 

Chris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...