RS Model's 1/72nd scale Curtiss F11C-2 Hawk from the USS Saratoga

John Masters

So I'll throw my hat back in the ring for my next build in the GB...a Top Hat, that is...RS Model's 1/72nd scale Curtiss F11C-2 Hawk, off of the USS Saratoga, 1933.  I haven't decided which one to build yet...

42170834982_e3d0988c39_z_d.jpg

41496013514_5c962d012c_z_d.jpg

27346176547_ce07cc732c_z_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 6

A closer look at what's inside the box...it may seem redundant.

Two nicely moulded pieces of sprue, wth just a bit of flash.  I have already noticed that I will have to clean out a couple of the mounting holes for the interplane struts.

27358557627_7d1bd8f68d_z_d.jpg

...a bit of photo etch for the cockpit and engine details and some very nice resin bits---a 700hp Wright R-1820-78 radial and the engine cowling.  Also, some extra assorted logos for the propeller.

41328574245_929aaa8630_z_d.jpg

Finally, some lovingly made and registered decals.  They look really nice!

40422173310_ace91970c0_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

So you're back for more punishment huh?  A bi-plane will certainly keep you busy...they scare me!

Gee that's a nice looking model and great subject, I like the colour scheme. 

I'm glad you've decided to stay around and build another beastie, good luck with her, another one to follow with interest.

Thank you Rich.  It seems pretty straightforward.  Not  a lot of early carrier aircraft in the GB so far, so this will add some balance.  I would love to see someone build a ship's Camel...

So far I have one vote for 'blue'...any input?

First things first...let's take care of the resin and PE...

The cowling came off easily and cleanly from its lug, as did the Wright radial.  First I made sure that the motor fit inside the cowling.  No worries there! No need to file off the cylinder heads.

I attached the rods and spark plug lines to the motor with CA.  I then did the same thing with the seat and seatbelt assembly.  I made up the control panel but forgot to slip the very nice acetate dials in between...damn!  I'll have to separate the two with Aceton and do that again.  Not a big deal, but a pain in the butt anyway.

41538078054_4d6bd55b58_z_d.jpg

Next was the windscreen and frame.  

40452848980_0fe836115a_z_d.jpg

I'll fix my error, let it all dry for a few hours and then pant it up a bit.

--John

• Like 3

My mistake...what I thought was going to be the windscreen turns out to be the canopy should I decide to build the BFC-2 variant, which I am not.  the windscreen is a standard tri-fold piece with the gunsight running through it.  Oh well.

Now that is a nice change!

Plus I imagine that the kit's quality must be rather superior to the old Monogram kits?

I will follow your thread with great anticipation!!!

Have fun!

JR

I never built the Monogram kit, but I have seen some ice looking builds online from that box.

I actually prefer biplanes to the other types of aircraft.  More on the outside, so to speak--rigging, etc...

9 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thank you Rich.  It seems pretty straightforward.  Not  a lot of early carrier aircraft in the GB so far, so this will add some balance.  I would love to see someone build a ship's Camel...

So far I have one vote for 'blue'...any input?

blue! :thumbsup:

You'll enjoy this one John, it's a great little kit. 

I built one as a Bolivian Chaco War machine when the kit first came out (land version).  Not as colourful as yours will be though :coolio:

My vote goes for blue too!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff.  I have those S. American Hawks as well.  They seem to have more resin than this kit and are perhaps an earlier mould.  I am saving the floating Hawks for the next Floatplane GB.  That aluminum look with the green camo on the floats and the S. American roundels are striking.   

So blue it is.  Thanks gents.

• Like 1

Cockpit, motor and control panel are ready.  They all were painted aluminum, then the cockpit and motor were given a black oil wash.  The cockpit won't be too visible once it is enclosed in the fuselage, but the motor will.

40473820120_1e330e2fcd_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

Last night's work...

Fuselage sides readied, cockpit installed, turtledeck assembled...

41391551905_87128a0a2e_z_d.jpg

40486876720_05b3f8aa34_z_d.jpg

And the fuselage all closed up with the turtledeck as well.  There is only a small seam on each side that will require an even smaller amount of filler.

27423720947_bfe364904c_z_d.jpg

I'll fill that this morning and let it dry while I attend to my daily errands and a visit to the physiotherapist.

-John

• Like 3

I am leaning towards using Ethicon stainless steel .005 for the rigging.  The interplane rigs are all double wires, six on each side.  It's not too complex, but in this case I do not want to drill holes.  It'll be a measure eyeball and snip job.

A quiet morning before appointments...so I did a bit of painting.  I consider this kind of thing busy work, really.  The building of the thing--attaching struts, landing gear, getting the motor/cowling/exhaust aligned, rigging--that is where the patience and whatever skill I have comes into play.

I have sprayed the wings Humbrol rattle can Aluminum and the top wing Humbrol rattle can Yellow.  The aluminum is a bit more grey than the Vallejo I plan on using for the fuselage, landing gear and struts.  I am ok with that.  The tonal difference will offset the aircraft well.  The yellow is still tacky and will tone down a bit once it is fully dry.  The cowling is Vallejo Prussian Blue thinned a lot with Vallejo Thinner and a couple of drops of Flow Improver.  It sprayed very well.  The red tail bits are Vallejo Model Air Red.  And thank the gods for better weather!  It's been cooler and breezy here, drier too, which is good news for this modeller.  Paint dries in a timely fashion...

41574507254_9a8f7a5c11_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4

I decided to go ahead and mask/spray the fuselage and landing gear Vallejo Model Air USAAF Light Grey.  In order to paint the gear, I had to attach the lower wing as well since the attachment points for the legs are over the wing...You get that, I hope.  Once that was done and dry, I puttied in a few spots and let that dry while I masked off the areas that would be painted aluminum and the red tail.  

41434822575_06dacd4b76_z_d.jpg

...8 hours later, the result, unmasked...

42288822192_f2b3e49b80_z_d.jpg

Because the aluminum area is so small I will use a hairy brush for this and then touch up where I need.  Next up after painting...venturi tube, motor/exhaust, windscreen, gunsight, tail feathers...

--John

• Like 7

Thanks Rich....

Did a bit more today...venturi tube, tail feathers, windscreen, gun sight, attached the motor and exhaust, the wheels (tail wheel as well), painted a bit of aluminum on the fuselage, attached the external fuel tank with its appropriate braces.  That's it for the next few days. I am off-island until Thursday when I'll get back into it and finish this up just in time for the Airfix-Fest!  I hope this won't be the last for me in this GB.  I have time to do some Airfix kits and then come back for something else before the July 15th deadline.

41644151874_092e3b63b0_z_d.jpg

41644151174_1237a94d88_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 4