Parasaurolophus Diorama Set - Tamiya 1/35

Having seen that more dinosaurs seem to be appearing on Britmodeller recently I decided to come out of retirement. I came across this kit online and thought it would be a good way to get back into making kits again - I was becoming a little disenchanted with the length of time it was taking to make vehicles... plus Life was getting in the way of modelling time... 

Box

42207310931_e28deb75cc_b.jpg 

Sprues

41486473884_2990f8fe01_b.jpg 

41307049355_d405bb0709_b.jpg

42207310301_88172efb3a_b.jpg

28334563478_62aeb62942_b.jpg

41307048625_9d89c7aa04_b.jpg

Material for leaves

40400349780_4e71445d6d_b.jpg

Plant and flying dino supports

28334562748_819d82c5d8_b.jpg

Instructions

40400347610_0d95472f7c_b.jpg

28334562158_7035b37d8c_b.jpg

I made a start with the heads - yes there are two heads - one male one female - male on the right

41493484494_bef71b458d_b.jpg

42214151511_a0d14c7e3b_b.jpg

Although only one head will be used I'm making both for practice. I'll decide which to use once I see how they turn out.

Well I've made a start and it's fun to be back in 'the land that Time forgot'...

Edited by Mrs PlaStix
  • Like 12

Ooh, I get second choice of chair. May I have the big recliner by the fire? Thanks.

Welcome back Missus. Let's see your magic work on inanimate plastic bits again.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Hey Mrs.P, long time no hear! 

Glad to see you're back to the bench :thumbsup:

Following ... :popcorn:

Ciao

Ciao Giorgio! Glad to be back! Hope The beasties don't disappoint! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

Ooh, I get second choice of chair. May I have the big recliner by the fire? Thanks.

Welcome back Missus. Let's see your magic work on inanimate plastic bits again.

Thanks Rob, Very kind of you - I'm now not in the least nervous...:shrug: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

Thanks Rob, Very kind of you - I'm now not in the least nervous...:shrug: 

No need to be nervous, you do good work. I certainly find it inspirational, even if dinos aren't my thing.

• Thanks 1

Aye up Mrs P.

Was wondering where you'd got to. Nice to see you back with some dino's.

Pulling up a chair and getting comfy :bye:

Regards,

Steve 

Edited by fatfingers
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back Mrs 'Stix, hope you have a fun build, looking forward to seeing how you get on :) 

Those plant leaves look like they are going to be pretty labour-intensive :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 8:38 PM, fatfingers said:

Aye up Mrs P.

Pulling up a chair and getting comfy :bye:

Regards,

Steve 

Hi Steve! Thanks,good to be back, you may nod off as I'm not planning on rushing this - going to take my time and enjoy it.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 9:04 PM, dieselweasel said:

Welcome back Mrs P, its not been the same without you working on the dinos, will take a seat at the back if i may!!

ATB

Jim

Cheers Jim! I'm going to enjoy this build missed building my dinos. It's totally different to the AFVs, more relaxing... (now jinxed it!} 

10 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

Hello Mrs P

I'm back on the dino's too after a years retirement from the prehistoric scene - looking forward to seeing this kit come together

John

Hi John, hope you're settled in to your modelling abode. Your creatures are really coming along well, I'd not come across the Pegasus kits before, they look great.

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Welcome back Mrs 'Stix, hope you have a fun build, looking forward to seeing how you get on :) 

Those plant leaves look like they are going to be pretty labour-intensive :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Cheers Stew, as I said it's not going to be quick! 

I was really worried when I opened the kit and got the leaf sheet out -upside down! Slight sigh of relief when I turned it over, but it's another challenge :)

Watching with interest! I'm kind of curious as to why they included a human figure on the white sprue; I guess if nothing else it offers a sense of the true scale of the beast :)

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Watching with interest! I'm kind of curious as to why they included a human figure on the white sprue; I guess if nothing else it offers a sense of the true scale of the beast :)

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Hi Clive, thanks for your interest in my latest project, hopefully I'll get around to doing more over the next week. The figure is supposed to be 'Tamiya- San' himself and appears in all the the Dino Dioramas that I have. Absolutely no idea why?...

I have an unexplained urge to add a dino kit such as this to my stash... trouble is, I'll probably take so long getting around to starting it, it'll probably end up fossilised :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been able to get on with this kit today. Funny how quickly you can get 'rusty' and need to get back into everything slowly, step by step... still it's fun and he/she seems to be progressing okay - heads from last time, legs started today

27496774057_52085ef741_b.jpg

27496774967_bac73a6851_b.jpg

After a while  I got the rest of the parts removed and glued then did plenty of sanding and filling 

42317795132_00edf37493_b.jpg

Front legs

27496772837_6a67c71d96_b.jpg

Spine join

27496773327_538a84971a_b.jpg

The seams are, as seems to always be the case, very evident and annoying requiring lots of patient cleaning up. I still look back on some of my earlier builds and regret not taking more time over them - even though when I started I didn't realise that some of them weren't part of the creature...I made the same error when building my Japanese bulldozer. 

• Like 7

Looking good so far, but that green plastic messes with my head! 

Your thread inspired me to buy the Tamiya 'Mezozoic Creatures' set from Amazon last night... Or rather your thread inspired my wife to badger me into buying it :D

Well, it's 6 smaller dinos so hopefully I can rope my grandson into helping with making and painting one, he is 4 years old and Dino crazy!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Looking good so far, but that green plastic messes with my head! 

Your thread inspired me to buy the Tamiya 'Mezozoic Creatures' set from Amazon last night... Or rather your thread inspired my wife to badger me into buying it :D

Well, it's 6 smaller dinos so hopefully I can rope my grandson into helping with making and painting one, he is 4 years old and Dino crazy!

Totally agree about the colour, Mr P. hates photographing it! 

So another one comes over to the "Dino-Side" :dinosaur:Strangely enough I've just got the same Mesozoic Creatures kit - mainly because of the baby Parasaurolophus. I hope you and your grandson enjoy building them - Perhaps you can get Mrs T involved? 

8 minutes ago, Mrs PlaStix said:

... Perhaps you can get Mrs T involved? 

Hmmm, sounds like a dangerous idea to me... She is already into crafting and card making and such like. I can imagine what would happen if she took to plastic model making too... "Can I just borrow your glue / side cutters / paints / brushes / files / sanding pads / airbrush / clamps / whatever else I might need...". These various items would then disappear into her "crafting hangar" (which is about the size of a tennis court and already packed to the rafters with crafting stuff) never to be seen again! Thanks, but I think I'll keep this idea under wraps :D

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2018 at 8:17 PM, clive_t said:

I'm kind of curious as to why they included a human figure on the white sprue;

Even more curious is that he's standing holding a pair of binoculars,if that was me that came face to face with those you wouldn't see me for dust....Looking forward to following this Mrs P.....

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 8:48 AM, Vince1159 said:

Even more curious is that he's standing holding a pair of binoculars,if that was me that came face to face with those you wouldn't see me for dust....Looking forward to following this Mrs P.....

Cheers Vince! Good to hear from you, That guy is in all the kits -I'm thinking of using him in a diorama of Japanese explorers!! He's probably short sighted and needs the binoculars to see the dinos...:rolleyes: 

• Haha 2