F4U Corsair STGB Chat

Hi all,

I plan to build the Revell kit in this GB.

Is there an "overall colour" paintscheme for this type I could use ? 

I always try to find the easiest scheme to do by brush.

356159-10263-29-pristine.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:31 AM, Erwin said:

Yes there are a few actually, mostly one off schemes but they're out there. Up first is the overall Gloss sea blue scheme. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F4U-1A_Corsair_of_VBF-4_at_NAS_Wildwood_1945.jpg

There was at least one natural metal Corsair. 
icjuS1Y.jpg

icl30p0.jpg
My apologies as Ive been away from the internet until now. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2020 at 11:43 AM, JackG said:

Hey guys, any idea if short or short short wing tip for JT410, of 1836 Sqn (FAA)  - Flown by Sub Lieutenant David J Sheppard RCNVR from HMS Victorious, January 1945?

20494CCA-DAAE-4180-AC7E-21D553C4F9D8.jpe

regards,

Jack

@trickyrich has a build of this showing short short wingtips if that's any help? It's a lovely build, too:

• Thanks 1

Right, now need some help figuring out FAA paint colours based on Vallejo Model air.  I know the ANA callouts, as provided here:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/color/ana_table.shtml

Ake1bvm.jpg

The uncertainty rises because I have Vallejo's initial paints sets - this was the 16 bottles combining RAF and FAA together.  Since then, they have released the same colours with either a different name or different number, and no idea if the formula within the new bottles changed. 

The above chart I put together is actually incomplete.  For instance, their FS 36173 is now represented by USAAF. N. 43 Neutral Gray - goes by Neutral Grey,  numbered 71.051.   They also currently have a US Dark Green numbered 71.289, and they have released a proper British RAF Sky as no. 71.302 Sky Type S.   Good God what a mess...

regards,

Jack

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you both.  Thing is we are talking about the Corsair as painted by Eastern - they delivered the manufactured aircraft to the British in ANA paints.  As far I know, once handed over, they remained as such and were not repainted with FAA colours.

regards,

Jack

Well when I did mine i used Army olive drab with Intermediate blue over a sky grey. Probably not correct but that was the closest paint i had at the time. YO1wBBu.jpg
All colors used were Tamiya rattle-can and a generic rattle can primer for the belly. I was going for a faded look and think i achieved it but i will be redoing this in the future. As I know now its not correct in some aspects. 

Dennis

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TommyF said:

Would love to join this STGB. Never built one and don't know too much about them so need to put that right :)

Welcome aboard Tommy you will learn quite a bit I'm sure. Let me know if you need help with kits or info. 

Dennis

That looks good HP and with the Revell making two kits you will be busy. Ive got two and looking for a 3rd. Ive got the decals for a -7 just need a Hasegawa kit now. Actually I have two different marking options so a Hasegawa AU-1 would also be good. 

• Like 1

Actually @HoolioPaulio I had to go to the LHS today, being 22 miles away it isn't really local. I needed to get new drill bits for my pin vise and paints For other builds. While there i found a cheap Revell corsair and after your post I figured id go for it, so I have my 3rd for the build. K7lgh6j.jpg
Now to find a cheap Spitfire Vb for that build.  🧐

• Like 2

Ive finalized my builds for this. The Arii 1/48 will be RN, one of these three schemes. Im leaning towards 125Q or U7F.

YMypOqR.jpg

JBNUQjT.jpg
Though I have markings for an Atlantic Sq. In TSS coded 8*L. Though unlike this profile, mine has the standard roundels, so not sure which would be correct. 

gOQwwqD.jpg

The Revell 1/72 revell kit will be Greg Boyingtons 883.

tXUlQd5.jpg

The last is the Revell 1/48 F4U-4b which will be VMF-214 Blacksheep. DDDo2C3.jpg

While researching I came across this profile and  was thinking it might also be a possibility. However I don't have the Yellow codes, if they are actually yellow ? 

GBZoAaq.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? Especially on the yellow codes ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

FAA  Corsairs would use standard RAF roundels while either training in the States or operating in the European Theater.   In the Pacific Theater, the basic roundel had it's red centers removed to avoid any chance of confusion with the Japanese Hinomaru.  The final style incorporated white bars on either side to reflect the American star and bar insignia.  In between these changes, one can find several variations, but I'm not certain if all were officially ordered as such.

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:31 AM, Erwin said:

Hi all,

I always try to find the easiest scheme to do by brush.

356159-10263-29-pristine.jpg

Sorry to bother you Erwin, while researching for my own builds i found some RN Corsair II’s in overall Glossy sea blue scheme. If your interested in them as an option here are the link’s. 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/RN/pages/Royal-Navy-Corsair-0C.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/RN/pages/Royal-Navy-Corsair-MkII-White-L112-aboard-HMS-Glory-off-Rabaul-New-Britain-6th-Sep-1945-01.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/RN/pages/Royal-Navy-Corsair-MkIV-White-7V16-landing-mishap-HMS-Indomitable-01.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/RN/pages/Royal-Navy-Goodyear-FG-1A-Corsair-BuNo-14609-KD178-White-178-at-NAS-Columbus-01.html

Dennis

• Like 1

HI GB Mods (@Corsairfoxfouruncle)

Wondering If I could join this Group Build?

If so, I would join with this (Started some moons ago for another BM GB)

RNZAF+F4U+Build+Box+art.jpg

It's started, but really only got this far (so way less than 25%)

RNZAF+F4U+Corsair+Build.jpg

RNZAF+F4U+Build+1.jpg

Choice of Markings for me are plain and simple :thumbsup: An RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair (NZ5277) per

Montex Masks below (correcting obvious mistakes in markings)

NZ5277+Markings.jpg

Look forward to your (hopefully favourable) reply

Thanks

Alan

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

HI GB Mods (@Corsairfoxfouruncle)

Wondering If I could join this Group Build? If so, I would join with this (Started some moons ago for another BM GB)

RNZAF+F4U+Build+Box+art.jpg

It's started, but really only got this far (so way less than 25%)

RNZAF+F4U+Corsair+Build.jpg

RNZAF+F4U+Build+1.jpg

Choice of Markings for me are plain and simple :thumbsup: An RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair (NZ5277) per

Montex Masks below (correcting obvious mistakes in markings)

NZ5277+Markings.jpg

Look forward to your (hopefully favourable) reply

Thanks

Alan

Of course you can join Alan. A KIWI Corsair would be a grand addition to the build. Ive considered it myself but decided Id rather use a Tamiya kit for one. So it will be pushed to a future date when a Tamiya kit finds its way into my stash. Ive gone and added you to the list on page 1. 

Dennis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Of course you can join Alan. A KIWI Corsair would be a grand addition to the build. Ive considered it myself but decided Id rather use a Tamiya kit for one. So it will be pushed to a future date when a Tamiya kit finds its way into my stash. Ive gone and added you to the list on page 1. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

A Tamiya one (or two) would be ideal for me too, but not going to happen

any time soon for this GB :waiting:

Thanks

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive finalized my builds for this. The Arii 1/48 will be RN, one of these three schemes. Im leaning towards 125Q or U7F.

YMypOqR.jpg

JBNUQjT.jpg
Though I have markings for an Atlantic Sq. In TSS coded 8*L. Though unlike this profile, mine has the standard roundels, so not sure which would be correct. 

gOQwwqD.jpg

The Revell 1/72 revell kit will be Greg Boyingtons 883.

tXUlQd5.jpg

The last is the Revell 1/48 F4U-4b which will be VMF-214 Blacksheep. DDDo2C3.jpg

While researching I came across this profile and  was thinking it might also be a possibility. However I don't have the Yellow codes, if they are actually yellow ? 

GBZoAaq.jpg

Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? Especially on the yellow codes ? 

Dennis

Hello Dennis. U7F gets my vote, although 8L with her standard roundels comes a second place and here's evidence a similar machine in that scheme...

Royal-Navy-Corsair-MkII-1830NAS-7L-prepa

As for Q BH2; looks cool but never seen a photo to confirm it :shrug:

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

A long, long time ago in a GB far, far away HERE I completely disgraced myself with a Corsair not built. I have the same two kits in front of me so will have attempt number 4. If you'll let me play.

Youre signed in SleeperService Welcome aboard. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1