F4U Corsair STGB Chat

1 minute ago, Dansk said:

36 dollars for the decals, then shipping, then we pay considerableĀ customs import tax on goods from the US here so Santa Claus might have a heart attack if I ask him for that espeacially after the initial price of the kit to start with that he (my wife) got me šŸ˜‚

Ouch! That would be one VERY expensive decal sheet!

Best do one of those nice camouflaged Salvadorean ones that have hardly any markings.

9 minutes ago, Dansk said:

36 dollars for the decals, then shipping, then we pay considerableĀ customs import tax on goods from the US here

Ive sent decalsĀ to Craig-minionĀ before. I just put them in a water proof envelope thats rigid. Label it photoā€™s worth 1$ on the post office paperwork and pay standard shipping. So if you can find someone to do that it is a way around the customs/taxman issue ?Ā 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Ouch! That would be one VERY expensive decal sheet!

Best do one of those nice camouflaged Salvadorean ones that have hardly any markings.

Your piccianclick references and many other corsair markings are relatively do-able once a stencil sheet of numbers has been bought (with the large markings scratched). Could be the way to go for more freedom with schemes. I never thought about doing that before @CorsairfoxfouruncleĀ Brought up the idea. It could be cool as they were sprayed really roughly on the real things

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think I may have inadvertently hijacked this thread,

sorry all, as you were...

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Your piccianclick references and many other corsair markings are relatively do-able once a stencil sheet of numbers has been bought (with the large markings scratched). Could be the way to go for more freedom with schemes. I never thought about doing that before @CorsairfoxfouruncleĀ Brought up the idea. It could be cool as they were sprayed really roughly on the real things

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think I may have inadvertently hijacked this thread,

sorry all, as you were...

No need to apologise Paul, all the discussion of different schemes is very helpful and can give members ideas that they hadn't considered before.

Building in 1/32 would make the camo scheme a bit easier to do as well and will make for a stunning model.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

You are talking about Corsair markings.Ā  How is that a hijack?Ā Ā 

I was referring to the fact that I was talking about specifically justĀ my corsair markings and it kinda took over the feed, rather than a generic veiwpoint. So iā€™ll save it for my build thread.

Edited by Dansk

7 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I was referring to the fact that I was talking about specifically justĀ my corsair markings and it kinda took over the feed, rather than a generic veiwpoint. So iā€™ll save it for my build thread.

True but that info is good to share someone else maybe looking for the same markings and can benefit from the discussion. Also it may encourage someone to join the build or even the forum, if they're viewing it thru a link or as a guest ?Ā 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dansk said:

It's not a hijack!Ā  Until we get the forum up and running, this is the ideal place for those sorts of discussions.

Ā 

You've obviously not seen some of my posts in chat threads...Ā  :DĀ 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It's not a hijack!Ā  Until we get the forum up and running, this is the ideal place for those sorts of discussions.

Ā 

You've obviously not seen some of my posts in chat threads...Ā  :DĀ 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

True but that info is good to share someone else maybe looking for the same markings and can benefit from the discussion. Also it may encourage someone to join the build or even the forum, if they're viewing it thru a link or as a guest ?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ok thanks chaps. šŸ‘

i didnā€™t want to take over theĀ thread or anything but i understand.

p.s. For your info there is nowĀ a nice set of corsair decals on their way from a nice man in the states šŸ™‚

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I've found my decals!Ā 

Whilst ( fruitlessly ) searching for some decals I know I have for an A-37 used at Edwards AFB I have found my sheet with an Argentine F4U-5NL, it's an old FCM sheet (48-02) so hopefully they will work well. Frighteningly I am now all set for this one!

Good stuff craig šŸ’Ŗ

I just googled argentine f4uā€™s and some awesome schemes came up. Ā Which specific one are you going for?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dansk said:

Which specific one are you going for?

This one Paul.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/Argentina/pages/Vought-F4U-5NL-Corsair-ARA-2-Escuadrilla-Aeronaval-de-Ataque-3A204-Argentina-1962-0A.html

Ā 

I can actually do either an F4U-5 or an F4U-5NL from the sheet but I like the radar equipped NL so will probably go with that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This one Paul.

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/Argentina/pages/Vought-F4U-5NL-Corsair-ARA-2-Escuadrilla-Aeronaval-de-Ataque-3A204-Argentina-1962-0A.html

Ā 

I can actually do either an F4U-5 or an F4U-5NL from the sheet but I like the radar equipped NL so will probably go with that.

That looks awesome craig. Very cool markings. šŸ˜Ž

Edited by Dansk
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about the Corsair's wings.

Ā 

I will be building a 1/72 F4U Corsair in this GB, either Tamiya or Heller (the Heller may get moved the Heller GB - so many choices!)

Ā 

Anyway... back to my question, part of plastic finish of the outer wing of the Heller Corsair looks very like fabric. Is there some reason for this? I can't imagine it ever was fabric (thus damning myself to being told it was!). I thought it was an all metal bird.

Ā 

Dscf1769

Ā 

Any thoughts from the Corsair experts?

Ā 

Cheers,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnson said:

back to my question, part of plastic finish of the outer wing of the Heller Corsair looks very like fabric. Is there some reason for this? I can't imagine it ever was fabric (thus damning myself to being told it was!). I thought it was an all metal bird.

Nope the corsair had partial fabric wings until the early -4 construction. I guess that means I've damned you. It was a weight saving measure for a very heavy carrier fighter. Modern warbirds have skinned the area in metal for corrosion control and safety.Ā 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

About the fabric surfaces, as reviewers have said "Real airplane fabric is filled with so much dope that NO weave pattern of any kind is ever seen even in 1:1 scale."

Ā 

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

guess that means I've damned you

I knew it!Ā thanks F4U!

Ā 

But good forĀ Heller for getting it right.

Ā 

35 minutes ago, JackG said:

"Real airplane fabric is filled with so much dope that NO weave pattern of any kind is ever seen even in 1:1 scale."

I expect my paint will do much the same!

Ā 

Looks like a nice kit, weā€™ll see, Iā€™ve said that before and been proved horribly wrong!

Ā 

Cheers

• Like 2

A quick question: I am intending to build a Corsair Mk.II from the 1/48th Tamiya F4U-1D using the markings (6A) from this set:

Ā 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48102?&currency_id=2

Ā 

In addition, I'll be getting some resin details from Ultracast, and was wondering what tread pattern the tyres would have? They offer diamond, block, radial, and smooth, and I have been unable to determine which would be appropriate. Any help gratefully received!

• Thanks 1

I'll be joining in. There must be a few Corsairs left in the stash. Mind you I've built about 6 over the past few years.Ā 

• Like 2