F4U Corsair STGB Chat

On 14/11/2019 at 20:04, Enzo Matrix said:

Oh my word!  Here we go...  down that rabbit hole again!!!   :frantic:

And the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper!  :shrug:

I've dragged two Tamiya 1/72 F4U kits from The Stash.  I've found that they both already have VF-17 markings on the kit sheets.  So that's good.

The F4U-1A kit even has markings for the same aircraft that is depicted on the CtA decal shet.  But here's the problem...   the CtA sheet depicts it with a red surround to the national markings, while the Tamiya kit sheet shows it with the later blue surround added, tape over the fuel tank area and more kill markings with the box art showing severely weathered wing roots.

You know what I'm thinking, don't you...?  :mental:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

And the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper!  :shrug:

I've dragged two Tamiya 1/72 F4U kits from The Stash.  I've found that they both already have VF-17 markings on the kit sheets.  So that's good.

The F4U-1A kit even has markings for the same aircraft that is depicted on the CtA decal shet.  But here's the problem...   the CtA sheet depicts it with a red surround to the national markings, while the Tamiya kit sheet shows it with the later blue surround added, tape over the fuel tank area and more kill markings with the box art showing severely weathered wing roots.

You know what I'm thinking, don't you...?  :mental:

If memory serves VF-17 only operated the -1 birdcages here in the states. Both when working up on type, and during the corsairs carrier qualifications. They were re-equipped with -1a’s once in theater. I believe they got the choicest of equipment as they were the Navy’s darling squadron in the Solomons. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 12:25 AM, John Laidlaw said:

Right, I've decided I'm in if that's OK, @Corsairfoxfouruncle? Not sure what scale (either 1/72nd or 1/48th), but I do know it'll be an FAA Corsair II with clipped wing-tips, and Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey/Sky camouflage (or the ANA equivalents, depending on the markings I choose). I need to do some research on which kits would suit the project best. Fortunately, I enjoy that phase almost as much as painting.

Good choice John,

Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D with the MDC conversion kit (not sure if currently in production) would be the way I would go (am going)..  

Mind the rabbit warren of short or long wing tip "clipped wings".....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Good choice John,

Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1D with the MDC conversion kit (not sure if currently in production) would be the way I would go (am going)..  

Mind the rabbit warren of short or long wing tip "clipped wings".....

You've helped confirm the choice of kit for me - thank you! I'll look into the MDC conversion, as I have plenty of time to try and find one, and I have my eye on some Xtradecals that seem to fit the bill nicely.

• Like 1

I’ve given my wife a christmas wishlist of one item - a tamiya 1:32 scale corsair. 

if she considers it a good idea on spending the equivalent of over 100 pounds on a few bits of plastic for me then I’m in. 🤞😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

I’ve given my wife a christmas wishlist of one item - a tamiya 1:32 scale corsair. 

if she considers it a good idea on spending the equivalent of over 100 pounds on a few bits of plastic for me then I’m in. 🤞😀

Ive tentatively added you to the list. 

On 11/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

A classic kit but still quite buildable. Ive just helped another member out with some build links for his kit. If you’d like i could get them for you ? 

Dennis

I've build this one many times in the past.

I shall build it with straight wings.The kit's parts to fold them are to weak and break quickly.

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 12:32 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive tentatively added you to the list. 

You can now add me definitely with the most overpriced plastic ever.

Tamiyas 1/32 f4u1-d is enroute!  Yay 🤗

I’ve never built such a large scale kit before but can’t wait! 

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

You can now add me definitely with the most overpriced plastic ever.

Tamiyas 1/32 f4u1-d is enroute!  Yay 🤗

I’ve never built such a large scale kit before but can’t wait! 

spacer.png

Id love to build one of these but they are waaaaay waaaay out of my price range. Would need to win a lottery or inherit from a long lost relative. So I cant tell you how envious I am. 

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Id love to build one of these but they are waaaaay waaaay out of my price range. Would need to win a lottery or inherit from a long lost relative. So I cant tell you how envious I am. 

Father Christmas has emptied his sack and is completely spent with that one 🤪 Yeah they are such silly prices so i’m really nervous about screwing up the build. 😳 also doubtful if it can be finished within the build timeframe?

Reading online reviews it does looks great Though only the tyres being a weak point. 
Maybe I do a joint build on it - the cheapest corsair and the most expensive corsair at the same time. Must be an old kit out there for 2 pounds somewhere :)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

Maybe I do a joint build on it - the cheapest corsair and the most expensive corsair at the same time.

Thats it, you've committed yourself to a joint build now Paul! :) 

Great to have you join the GB mate and with a truly awesome looking kit, which I have absolutely no doubt you will turn into a stunning model.

Any idea what markings you will be building her in?I would be looking for some nice post war USN ones or ones from the "Football War" myself, but then I'm weird!

• Haha 1

@Dansk , Paul have a look at the rather nice post war USN ones on this page, they include some FG-1D's, very do-able from the Tamiya kit.

In fact I might well do one in 1/48 from the Tamiya kit, partly due to the fact that I seem to have lost the Argentinian decals I had for my F4U-5N :( .

http://www.piccianiaircraftphotos.com/f4u_corsair

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnd said:

I think I'll have a bash at this one, if I may? There's a 1/72 scale Italeri F4U-7 around somewhere, let's see if it can be located...

John.

That will be a fine addition to the build, I’ve added you to the list on page 1. 

Dennis

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thats it, you've committed yourself to a joint build now Paul! :) 

Great to have you join the GB mate and with a truly awesome looking kit, which I have absolutely no doubt you will turn into a stunning model.

Any idea what markings you will be building her in?I would be looking for some nice post war USN ones or ones from the "Football War" myself, but then I'm weird!

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

@Dansk , Paul have a look at the rather nice post war USN ones on this page, they include some FG-1D's, very do-able from the Tamiya kit.

In fact I might well do one in 1/48 from the Tamiya kit, partly due to the fact that I seem to have lost the Argentinian decals I had for my F4U-5N :( .

http://www.piccianiaircraftphotos.com/f4u_corsair

Thanks a lot Craig 👍

They look cool.

I was searching around last week and the decals/markings for 1/32 corsairs are quite bountiful but the f4u1-d theres a limited number out there.

Bur fundekals have an awesome set that i fell in love with

but it’ll cost an arm and leg to buy these and get shipped to europe.

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_WhistlingDeath.html

Click on the instructions pdf to see all the variants and references 

they show the overspray on the real things and how to achieve it with tape mm size in 1/32 - so cool!

So with the cost of these and the lack of exciting alternative options i may stick with the kit set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_WhistlingDeath.html

Other than the checkerboard you should be able to do the rest from scratch built masks. Of course one option is to find someone coming to or living in America to get them for you. Then just mailing them or carrying them home to avoid shipping fee’s ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I've ordered from Fundekal before (an F-102 set that I still haven't used!) and thought the postage was okay, I think you need to add one of their new JASDF F-104J to your order to make it more worthwhile :) .

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Other than the checkerboard you should be able to do the rest from scratch built masks. Of course one option is to find someone coming to or living in America to get them for you. Then just mailing them or carrying them home to avoid shipping fee’s ? 

I’m not sure i’m experienced enough to make masks

but now since you mention it most there yes those shapes do look quite straight forward if i can track down number stencils

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

I've ordered from Fundekal before (an F-102 set that I still haven't used!) and thought the postage was okay, I think you need to add one of their new JASDF F-104J to your order to make it more worthwhile :) .

36 dollars for the decals, then shipping, then we pay considerable customs import tax on goods from the US here so Santa Claus might have a heart attack if I ask him for that espeacially after the initial price of the kit to start with that he (my wife) got me 😂

• Like 2