F4U Corsair STGB Chat

Hello @vppelt68 ... Thank you for joining the group build. 

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I know nothing about Corsairs...

Im sure we can all help you with that. 😉 As described in the initial post they’re are a # of options as far as variants & markings go.

Not including Racing aircraft there were 7 production models with several minor sub-variants. For instance the -1 model had the -1,-1a,-1c, & -1d. The -2 was the nightfighter but it was just a -1 birdcage with a radome on the starboard wing. As for markings there were at least 7 nations possibly more that operated them from 1942-1979. Many of which had different camouflage for the planes. So you're well covered on that avenue as well. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Hello everybody After talking with Enzo Matrix The Dates for this group build are from Friday May 29th through Sunday August 30th 2020. Enzo Recommended a special start date for this on a Friday. The reason for this is it will be the 80th Anniversary 🎂 of the Corsair’s 1st ever flight. I agree that this build will be a fitting tribute to a World War 2 and Aviation Icon. 

Dennis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:37 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everybody After talking with Enzo Matrix The Dates for this group build are from Friday May 29th through Sunday August 30th 2020. Enzo Recommended a special start date for this on a Friday. The reason for this is it will be the 80th Anniversary 🎂 of the Corsair’s 1st ever flight. I agree that this build will be a fitting tribute to a World War 2 and Aviation Icon. 

Dennis

Oh! and I thought it was in honour of my birthday...:whistle:

• Like 1

On 07/10/2018 at 11:12, modelling minion said:

Excellent news that we have reached the required numbers!

Great that we have been given a start date that is so relevant to the Corsair too, just need to source a kit now!

You know its going to be a tamiya 48th scale one , cheap as chips and lovley kits, and  stress free too, they'll be rich pickings at telford 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

You know its going to be a tamiya 48th scale one , cheap as chips and lovley kits, and  stress free too, they'll be rich pickings at telford 😁

You've read my mind Glynn, that's exactly what I will be looking out for, although the Hobby Boss F4U-4 is tempting for a post war one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im probably going to do at least two corsairs myself. Im going to replace an old -1C that is long gone. 2nd build will either be a -1A or a -4 in BlackSheep markings. Last option is a -2 nightfighter. 

Dennis

With you're online name dennis i expect no less. (perhaps a little more) 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello @Enzo Matrix i dont think i need to rebid on my dates. 

Particularly with this line.

”The STGB slots are up for grabs now, so get lobbying...”

However thought i would double check ? 

Dennis

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone ... Just thought id pop in and see if anyone was interested in throwing there hat into the ring ? 

Dennis

PS - This will be one of my builds for this. 

q9FQt1R.jpg

Im planning on upgrading this a bit but mostly stock for nostalgic reasons.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

There's been a 1/72 -1D I've been eying at my local shop for months, this might be the perfect excuse to finally get it! I'm in, if you'll have me and what will almost certainly be an out-of-box build. It'll be a good chance to test out my weathering skills at that point.

(the 1/48 Tamiya -1A was the first model I got when I was trying to decide whether to come back to the hobby, definitely my favorite WWII plane). 

• Like 2

Hello Shin ... Yes of course you are welcome tp join us. Just to remind you the build is more than a year away so if you may want to build the Corsair now. Plenty of time to pick up another before May of 2020. I have added you to the list on the first page of this thread. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've got it on my radar if I happen to stumble across a kit for cheap by then.  But I really need to clear up some space in the stash before I just go adding to it.  :whistle:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

I've got it on my radar if I happen to stumble across a kit for cheap by then.  But I really need to clear up some space in the stash before I just go adding to it.  :whistle:

I will keep a lookout for you closer to the start date.     

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Evening Dennis, just came across this GB and as I have a few Corsairs in 1/72 it is a great excuse to build one. I did intend to build one for the 2016 GB but never got started but I'm sure I can finish one this time.

Cheers Allan