F4U Corsair STGB Chat

Question for all you Corsair experts. I have been studying photos of aircraft from VMF-512 and judging by what I've seen the Glossy Sea Blue main undercarriage legs seem appropriate for my chosen subject "Brooklyn Butcher". Some earlier photos of VMF-512 corsairs indicate an undercarriage colour of Light Gull Grey and then through maintenance or later F4U-1D supply went to GSB. However, I cannot find an image of the tail wheel gear that indicates what is likely. Also GSB?  If so did they also spray the fuselage interior of the tail wheel area GSB? Hope you can help.

Ray

29 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Question for all you Corsair experts. I have been studying photos of aircraft from VMF-512 and judging by what I've seen the Glossy Sea Blue main undercarriage legs seem appropriate for my chosen subject "Brooklyn Butcher". Some earlier photos of VMF-512 corsairs indicate an undercarriage colour of Light Gull Grey and then through maintenance or later F4U-1D supply went to GSB. However, I cannot find an image of the tail wheel gear that indicates what is likely. Also GSB?  If so did they also spray the fuselage interior of the tail wheel area GSB? Hope you can help.

Ray

Hello Ray... Just waking up here in Chicago, let me have a little while to discombobulate and I will check my files to see what I can find. I will get you the best answer I can in a few hours. 

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

However, I cannot find an image of the tail wheel gear that indicates what is likely. Also GSB?

Hello Ray .. Running through stuff and going through this webpage. 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/VMF512/pages/Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-VMF-512-White-21-Brooklyn-Butcher-01.html

Im going to say Tail wheel gear strut in GSB or possibly Interior green. Interior bay color I would go with YZC but the interior of the tail wheel doors GSB. Ive found many examples of post war 1D’s and early -4’s where the tail wheel strut is definitely GSB. The FAA Corsair at Yeovilton which is supposedly THE most accurate paint example in existence looks to have the tail gear strut in GSB. Make of that what you will. Was it just because the FAA paibted it that way, or was it from the manufacturer. 

• Like 1

Well my entry is done so I can sit back and enjoy the rest now if by chance I spy a cheap 1/72 kit I've a set of decal's for a Kiwi bird dying to get used

so I may be back before August.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well my entry is done so I can sit back and enjoy the rest now if by chance I spy a cheap 1/72 kit I've a set of decal's for a Kiwi bird dying to get used

so I may be back before August.

And a great looking model it is too Steve.

If you can find another cheap kit (and if anyone can then its you!) it will be great for you to build another Corsair.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've a question about the pilot seat height.   Over on wiki, it states the British raised it 7 inches (likely to allow the pilot a better forward view?)  My actual question is did the Americans incorporate this into their production?   So yes, not sure if I need to raise the seat on Tamiya's F4U-1D as am building a FAA version.

regards,

Jack

5 hours ago, JackG said:

I've a question about the pilot seat height.   Over on wiki, it states the British raised it 7 inches (likely to allow the pilot a better forward view?)  My actual question is did the Americans incorporate this into their production?   So yes, not sure if I need to raise the seat on Tamiya's F4U-1D as am building a FAA version.

regards,

Jack

I Believe so as I think the later -1’s had seats raised 7” during production for better visibility,

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JackG said:

regards,

Jack

A frame was added to the existing seat mounts used on the birdcage version, as the new canopy allowed a higher seat position, and it was  an easy add on to achieve this.  The Tamiya kits does not have this frame.

There are details in the 2nd of @Dana Bell Corsair monographs, on page 28.

There were adjutments to the gunsight mounting as well on some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JackG said:

regards,

Jack

so it doesn't get missed, I forgot (the heat) that @Ray_W  made this frame in his current build

On 02/07/2020 at 15:46, Ray_W said:

One area in the Tamiya kit that is very visible and can be improved is the seat framing. I cut off the solid representation and fabricated the framing with some round polystyrene stock and stretched sprue. I am no Corsair expert, but I think the Tamiya representation is for the early lap belt only and no shoulder straps harness. Never mind, I think this looks better for a -1D.

Corsair_Construction_4

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So the Tamiya seat is probably sitting the correct height, but they do not include the frame detail?   Maybe their 1/32 boxing has accurately portrayed said detail?

Came across this illustration:

f4u-1-seat-jpg.528558

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JackG said:

So the Tamiya seat is probably sitting the correct height,

The seat was adjustable,  the lowest position on both was the same,  but the highest was 9 inches up, in stead of 6 on the birdcage,  and it 3.5 degrees closer to the vertical.

There were small runners added to the foot boards to compensate as well, see page 34.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Freshly arrived from Perth, possibly setting some sort of land speed record...

spacer.png

Just got to finish my Polikarpov I-15bis and I'll start work on a Corsair on the weekend.

Excellent... Looking forward to seeing these get built up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

So many flight videos are ho hum. This is a blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUKiKvl29Q

It is an Impressive sound isn't it. Now picture your a Japanese or Korean soldier and this isn't an airshow. Makes you really think about how scary it was. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It is an Impressive sound isn't it. Now picture your a Japanese or Korean soldier and this isn't an airshow. Makes you really think about how scary it was. 

Dennis,

Certainly is. I need to get over to NZ and hear it for myself.

Ray

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone that participated in the build. I along with @modelling minion And @Col. would like to thank you for joining us here in the Vought giggling academy. I will get the poll up and running in a day or two so please be patient with me on that. 

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Thank you Dennis and your co-hosts @modelling minion and @Col. Unbelievable support and enthusiasm. I was amazed how you all got around the builds and so quickly and still built kits yourselves, Dennis, you must have a house filled with Corsairs only matched by @John Masters.

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1