F4U Corsair STGB Chat

11 hours ago, zebra said:

This one's slipped off the radar and I haven't got a Corsair in the stash - but I'm on the lookout for something suitable.

We all know a cure for that ;) 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If I'm going to build a Corsair I'd like it to be one of the later ones, and in a postwar colour scheme, and in 1/48. I don't know much about F4U kits - options available to me seem to be the Academy and Hasegawa F4U-4's, both reasonably priced, and the Hobby Boss F4U-5, F4U-5N and F4U-7 at more than twice the price of the other two.

What are everyone's opinions of these kits? Should I go Academy or Hasegawa for an F4U-4? And are the Hobby Boss kits worth a go?

6 hours ago, zebra said:

What are everyone's opinions of these kits? Should I go Academy or Hasegawa for an F4U-4? And are the Hobby Boss kits worth a go?

For a F4U-4, Hobby Boss.  As far as I can tell it's the best -4 in 1/48.

For anything later, Hasegawa.

The Academy kit is based on the Hasegawa -4, with added errors, the spine behind the canopy is too wide. The Hase kit is really old, raised panel lines old.(it was originally a Mania tooling) 

You will read it's basically accurate, but I spent a lot time comparing kits, and if the Tamiya -1 is correct, the Hase fuselage is too deep.

EDIT -  I had a go at correcting the Academy kit, and AFAIK, the Tamiya kit is accurate.  The F4U-4 is basically a new nose added to the -1 fuselage, so from the engine bay back, they are the same.

The kits are not, now as the Academy is famed for being wrong,   but the main problem was the over wide spine, it seemed fixable.  But comparison of the Academy and Tamiya kits showed the Academy was deeper, and the the wing lower.  (and i did try corrcting the depth problem, but got stumped by the wing and undercowl, and lack of decent images of this to figure out what it was supposed to look like) 

So I got the Hase kit, which is said by modellers to be good, if basic and raised panel lines.

And, as stated, Academy copies the Hase kit, but then made the spine mistake.

I'm banging on about this as it's another case of the same old 'facts' being recycled without re-examining them....

The Hobby Boss F4U-4  matches the Tamiya kit in fuselage depth.   It has some issues, but IIRC they are not major, but the box of these is not at hand.  

Hobby Boss get a lot of, frequently deserved, flak over their sloppy research,  and for most of the Corsair family they are not the best choice, (see below) but they are for the -4

So, Regarding the The HB -5 and -7 kits use the wrong wings, reusing the earlier fabric type from the -1 and -4 kits (which is right) .  Note the that the -4, -5 and -7 each have different front fuselage and cowlings.  I don't have the HB -5 and -7 to comment on how they tackled this. this.

I can add more later when not on little tablet!

PS EDIT

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-last-propeller-pulled-corsairs-f4u.html

which explains the later Corsair cowlings.  Hasegawa do get the 3 types correct, but use a mould with an insert, so the is sometimes a line on the fuselage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Col. said:

Otherwise known as 'Doing an Enzo' :lol: 

Standing right here guys!  :bleh:  

...  although Col does have a point.   It's a weakness.   I'm aware of it...  :D 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Standing right here guys!  :bleh:  

...  although Col does have a point.   It's a weakness.   I'm aware of it...  :D 

No point teasing you if you're not around to join in the banter :D

52 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Note to self! 

Document these builds properly!   :banghead: 

spacer.png

this is exciting!  :bounce: 

I'd like to say we'll remind you but something tells me we'll be rather busy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am so tempted to pick up an old Revell 1/32 kit I had the Royal Navy boxing way back in the 70's as a birthday present,they're Cheap as chips and what we

used to call in the furniture trade a "mugs eye full" but can be nicely finished.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I am so tempted to pick up an old Revell 1/32 kit I had the Royal Navy boxing way back in the 70's as a birthday present,they're Cheap as chips and what we

used to call in the furniture trade a "mugs eye full" but can be nicely finished.

Go ahead press the button on the mouse, you know you want to Steve. :wicked:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Go ahead press the button on the mouse, you know you want to Steve

Ok if you say so:evil_laugh:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, zebra said:

Thanks @Troy Smith. Just found a Hasegawa F4U-5N and a CAM decal sheet online, price for both plus shipping was less than a HB kit, looks like I'm building a Corsair soon!

Excellent in his best Mr.Burns voice.

exc.gif

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 4

On 5/23/2020 at 10:20 PM, MarkSH said:

Yep! all ready to rock and roll, along with the Lancaster, Black Widow, Heinkel 177, a U-boat and two Buccaneers :frantic:

Don’t think they are eligible for this GB 😃.

I will dig out the Corsair’s I have three, Revell, Tamiya and Academy I think, and a bunch of lovely NZ decals but not 100% on which schemes. 

I’ll probably get into them once I’m on the last leg of my B-24J and so will still have a B-17G on the go but it will be fine I’m sure!

thanks for the reminder @Corsairfoxfouruncle 

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

A quick question for all you Corsair experts out there...

I have a nice looking 1/72 Tamiya F4U-1D waiting patiently in its box. I was just having a quick peruse (I should be gardening, but its too hot) and noticed that it has a window underneath!

Were they all like that? Er... what's it for?

My knowledge of Corsairs is as near zero as is possible, but I hope to improve over the course of the GB.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I have a nice looking 1/72 Tamiya F4U-1D waiting patiently in its box. I was just having a quick peruse (I should be gardening, but its too hot) and noticed that it has a window underneath!

My knowledge of Corsairs is as near zero as is possible, but I hope to improve over the course of the GB.

Thanks!

https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2018/01/pre-war-downward-vision-windows.html

• Thanks 3

Hello everyone as the buy/sell/trade area is cordoned off to just browsing. Please let me know if you are missing anything including like decals. Contact me via P/M so we don't violate the rules. I will check my spares and see if I have anything. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Thanks!

As far as Im aware it was only on early -1’s and I stress maybe here some early -1a’s might have had them. It was usually painted or skinned over in the field from what Ive read. However @Tailspin Turtle has a better explanation. Than mine. 

• Thanks 1