F4U Corsair STGB Chat

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive added you sir... Welcome aboard. 

Thank you. Now just have to dig them out in anticipation 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I presume Royal Navy but could be wrong ? 

You presume correctly. But not sure whether Temperate Sea Scheme or Gloss Sea Blue. 

• Like 2

I have decided I am going to attempt Corsair II JT410/T8*H flown by SLt Don Sheppard whilst with NAS 1836 HMS Victorious Jan 1945.  I have already built JT537/P136 that he flew in May 1945 so it will complete both aircraft he had air victories flying.  Weathered faded TSS for me...

Operation Lentil Jan-1945.

04.01.45 0850 2*Ki43 Oscar Destroyed.

Operation Meridian I Jan-1945.

24.01.45 0850 Ki44 Tojo Destroyed.

29.01.45 Ki43 Oscar Shared Destroyed.

All JT537/P136

Operation Iceberg May-1945.

D4Y ‘Judy’Destroyed 04.05.45.

JT537/P136.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So I was just perusing the GB calendar and saw this. I was debating on doing my Corsair for the 'In the Navy' GB but also wanted to do an Avenger for that one. So it was with a pleasing eye that I saw this GB and thought lets do that! Just after Christmas I bought a Tamiya 1:32 kit for a very nice price. My intention was to build it as a Royal Navy version but the only kit available was the Birdcage one, luckily I can still depict this as a RN FAA bird as they used it for training as a Mk 1 so that will be my goal, probably end up opening a whole :worms: but i'm sure it will be fun...…. now just need some decals!

Bob

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't make me say it...   :wicked:  

I think  it will be TSS as the last couple have been blue. But then again!

• Like 1

I'd like to join in on this one.  I don't have anything in my stash, but I had planned on building at least one Corsair at some point as I think its a beautiful looking plane, so this seems like a good excuse.  I'll see what I can pick up before the end of May, hopefully at least two 1/72's in different schemes, but I also want to join the helichopper GB that starts in June so I'm going to have to split my time on these two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I'd like to join in on this one. 

I think its a beautiful looking plane

Hello Sir, you are signed up on page 1. Ive felt the same way about them. In fact Ive felt that way since i was 6-7 when I saw my very first one on “Baa Baa Blacksheep” on TV.  Sometimes also listed as “Blacksheep Squadron”. The show of course was quite laughable, but the flying sequences and other visuals make it worth watching. 

• Like 1

hopefully at least two 1/72's in different schemes

The Tamiya kits are worth the $. They go together with little issues. Though you may have to splurge on some different decals as most of the Tamiya schemes are similar ? If you opt to go with A/M might I recommend Royal navy to get two different schemes. If you want something exotic then possibly do a central american “Soccer war scheme”.

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/soccerwarcorsairda_1.htm

This example is the Tamiya 1/48 kit but its a good build to see the colors. Again you would need A/M roundels but the multi colored green camouflage will definitely standout. 

Dennis

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've been planning on joining this one, but realized I never signed up!

You're signed in now Cookie, an FAA Corsair would be good. Will you paint & weather it like the one in the museum ? Supposedly it is still in original paint ?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Tamiya kits are worth the $. They go together with little issues. Though you may have to splurge on some different decals as most of the Tamiya schemes are similar ? If you opt to go with A/M might I recommend Royal navy to get two different schemes. If you want something exotic then possibly do a central american “Soccer war scheme”.

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/soccerwarcorsairda_1.htm

This example is the Tamiya 1/48 kit but its a good build to see the colors. Again you would need A/M roundels but the multi colored green camouflage will definitely standout. 

Dennis

I've loved building the Tamiya cars and bikes, so I expect their other kits to be as good.  They are almost as good as the Bandai gear.  I've picked up my first Spitfire in 1/72, Airfix, and I intend to have a go at airbrushing the camo as presented on the box, so that will be good practice for a scheme like that one you linked.  Gotta admit though, I am quite drawn to the tried and test dark sea blue navy schemes, seen one with a yellow engine cowl for a splash of colour which I really like.  Plenty of time to pick something up, and I aim to do at least two...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Gotta admit though, I am quite drawn to the tried and test dark sea blue navy schemes, seen one with a yellow engine cowl for a splash of colour which I really like.  Plenty of time to pick something up, and I aim to do at least two...

If you need help researching or anything else please ask. 

• Like 1

Dennis, Would love to be counted in on this GB. I have a1/48 Birdcage version in the stash and this will begin just at the right time to get some much needed sunlight on my pasty white exterior from spending so much time under a Magnesium Overcast lately.

2 hours ago, gary from darwin said:

Hi all, this will be my entry 🙂

49466701396_ddf653ee96_k.jpgI have several sets of decals and ill choose one closer to the date

cheers

Gaz

Nice choice Gaz... Ive built a couple of these myself. I have two birds for the build but am looking for a third. Most likely it will be this kit but possibly a 1D so I can backdate it to a 1C. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I figured I would just show whats currently in my built collection. The oldest is the Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1 birdcage as Lt. Ken Walsh's #13 from VMF-124 1943. I built this one about 18 years ago. dsiTsOl.jpg
Next up is my attempt at an R.N. Mk.IV. using Tamiya’s 1/48 F4U-1D. 
YO1wBBu.jpg

I built this when I first came back to modeling, its mostly rattle can and brush painted. Excuse the errors as I will need to replace it someday. Next is my first F4U-5 VA-212 Korea 1952. It was an Hasegawa F4U-5N in 1/48. 

KA2ObQa.jpgAgain rattle-can with a lighter blue dry-brushed on to do faded paint. The last is another F4U-5N done as a older -5NL from Naval air reserve Glenview in Chicago.

teR2BQy.jpg

XpwHtuG.jpg

A base I'm quite familiar with having spent many days there. My next two will be an 1/48 F4U-1a in USN 3/4tone camouflage wearing markings for Greg Boyington’s #883.
AI2iO5o.png

I will be using the older Arii kit or a Tamiya kit if i buy one. I also have the old Monogram F4U-4B
xdCEpHJ.jpg

which I will be updating as much as possible with stuff from my corsair spares. It will be in markings of VMF-214 from Korea 1950-51. It should look like this one ? sKcuYf4.jpg

Or this one ? mRasefI.jpg

If I opt to do a Birdcage it will be an F4U-2 night-fighter. 

fpc4jaq.png

if I opt to but another 1D it will be backdated to a 1C cannon armed variant in VMF-441 or VMF-311 markings. 

https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F4U-1C

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/VMF311/images/Vought-F4U-1C-Corsair-VMF-311-White-452-being-refueled-01.jpg

cjCzRcA.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I figured I would just show whats currently in my built collection. The oldest is the Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1 birdcage as Lt. Ken Walsh's #13 from VMF-124 1943. I built this one about 18 years ago. dsiTsOl.jpg
Next up is my attempt at an R.N. Mk.IV. using Tamiya’s 1/48 F4U-1D. 
YO1wBBu.jpg

I built this when I first came back to modeling, its mostly rattle can and brush painted. Excuse the errors as I will need to replace it someday. Next is my first F4U-5 VA-212 Korea 1952. It was an Hasegawa F4U-5N in 1/48. 

KA2ObQa.jpgAgain rattle-can with a lighter blue dry-brushed on to do faded paint. The last is another F4U-5N done as a older -5NL from Naval air reserve Glenview in Chicago.

teR2BQy.jpg

XpwHtuG.jpg

A base I'm quite familiar with having spent many days there. My next two will be an 1/48 F4U-1a in USN 3/4tone camouflage wearing markings for Greg Boyington’s #883.
AI2iO5o.png

I will be using the older Arii kit or a Tamiya kit if i buy one. I also have the old Monogram F4U-4B
xdCEpHJ.jpg

which I will be updating as much as possible with stuff from my corsair spares. It will be in markings of VMF-214 from Korea 1950-51. It should look like this one ? sKcuYf4.jpg

Or this one ? mRasefI.jpg

If I opt to do a Birdcage it will be an F4U-2 night-fighter. 

fpc4jaq.png

if I opt to but another 1D it will be backdated to a 1C cannon armed variant in VMF-441 or VMF-311 markings. 

https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F4U-1C

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/VMF311/images/Vought-F4U-1C-Corsair-VMF-311-White-452-being-refueled-01.jpg

cjCzRcA.jpg

Dennis

I Love that naval reserve Corsair, that is a beautiful scheme, well executed (he say looking for those decals 🙂

cheers

gaz

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gary from darwin said:

F4U-5N done as a older -5NL from Naval air reserve Glenview in Chicago.

Great!

(well, they all are, but I do like that scheme)

• Thanks 1