Retro Tamiya F1

I mainly post in the aircraft section these days, but a recent thread there asked about models made when people were younger.  This got me digging through the loft for some Tamiya F1 cars I built around 20 years ago.  They have moved house in a packing case a couple of times and required a little running repair before I could take pictures of them today.  My younger self used mainly humbrol enamels and some tamiya acrylics, with a hairy stick and an old badger airbrush.  No internet for research back then, so mainly painted based on magazine photos.

x8TgVly_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

lni2UMF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

iVAqOJT_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

JTvzoR0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

X2CmJWI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

r5HuHG6_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

iFu6rpL_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Persnal favourite has to be the Lotus 99T with the early season small front wing end plates.  Senna of course.  The Ferrari is the Mansell Brazil winning style F1-89 without the larger air scoop over the roll bar.  Thanks for looking

Edited by bar side
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, bar side said:

Persnal favouritehas has to be the Lotus 99T

Funny, I thought the same when looking through them! Gorgeous looking car, not like the hideous halo & aerodynamic devices festooned, things that 'race' today! 

Lovely collection, they're all great looking cars!

Keith

• Like 1

Once had a meeting at the conference rooms on the edge of Hethel where they have a 99T hanging almost upside down above your head.  Didn’t listen to much at the meeting...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bar side said:

Once had a meeting at the conference rooms on the edge of Hethel where they have a 99T hanging almost upside down above your head.  Didn’t listen to much at the meeting...

Sounds like the ones I used to have to go to at a plastics supplier in Feltham - just offset to the final approach for runway 27R at Heathrow!

• Like 1

They look pretty good. Just as I remember them racing during my 25 years as a marshall at Silverstone.

1 minute ago, PatW said:

They look pretty good. Just as I remember them racing during my 25 years as a marshall at Silverstone.

Went to Brands Hach, Donnington and Silverstone but only ever watching - marshalling would have been cool.  I marshalled on the Lombard RAC a couple of times & got very cold!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bar side said:

Went to Brands Hach, Donnington and Silverstone but only ever watching - marshalling would have been cool.  I marshalled on the Lombard RAC a couple of times & got very cold!

Yes I remember doing that at Cirencester and Blenheim Palace a few times. Getting there at the crack of dawn, walking down the stages putting up tapes, with an inch of frost on the ground and waiting 5 hours until the cars came through! In Cirencester we were in the trees near a corner ( there was 6 of us who went together) and when a GroupB Lancia Stratos came through and nearly missed the bend, and one of us was standing there and disappeared over a low hedge into a ditch, we though he'd been hit, until he stuck his head over the hedge, asking whether the car had gone!

Which it had, but not before the large spinning rear tyres had covered him in mud!

Those were the days!

Edited by PatW
  • Like 2

Wouldn’t have minded seeing the Stratos era cars.  I did Kielder Forest with Kankkunen in a Lancia Delta and Sainz in a Celica GT-4.  They did the same section twice so was dark when we arrived & dark when we left.  Frozen all day.  Pushed some guys golf out of the way after it died mid stage & nearly got taken out by a flying large Opel (can’t remember what type)

31 minutes ago, bar side said:

I marshalled on the Lombard RAC a couple of times & got very cold!

...and often wet in Wales too....!! 

I really enjoyed marshalling on Motoring News road rallies in the late 70's/ early 80's - open roads, nutters in full blown ex-works cars - complete lunacy but brilliant!

• Like 1

I did Chatsworth House one year & then Kielder, both early 90s.  Good fun & think I might still have a stage arrow somewhere in the garage.  Well everyone took one home at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I had a couple of those too, they're probably still hanging around in the darkest depths of the garage! Found my marshals tabard from one RAC recently - the missus had thought I'd dug it out to get rid of & chucked it!

• Like 1