1/144 THY Turkish Airlines Fokker F-27

Eastern Express kit finished off with decals from Classic Airlines.

I like a challenge and let's just say that this kit certainly ticked that box! I replaced the undercarriage doors with plastic card and I scratchbuilt the propellers and spinners.

Decals performed flawlessly and kept me motivated to finish the build.

5WUEsEF.jpg?1

4wW1kxg.jpg

RaxqMnK.jpg

GMgmkRa.jpg

Standard 4 x 4 walkaround pics :

UCC0NCp.jpgRxJH6x9.jpg

zkr4nb3.jpgfvWUbP7.jpg

...and the "with something else shot" - THY's retro Airbus that I finished off a few years ago :

DHzl7v5.jpg

Hope it meets expectations. Comments and criticism welcome.

mike

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

That's a real beauty Mike, love the spinning props!  

Out of interest what paint did you use on the belly?  It might just be an illusion but it looks darker than the grey on the wings.   I ask because I'm currently refurbishing an old Doyusha F27. I plan to finish in Luxair livery which has "normal" light grey below the cheatline and a noticeably darker belly.  

• Like 1

Superb as always Mike! Nice use of the hairdryer again!

I've yet to start my EE F27 so I don't know how bad it is but you're not the first to mention difficulties. Having said that there are no signs of any of the 'challenges' with this one.

Why did you scratchbuild the props and spinners? Was it in order to make them spin?

What's next off the bench?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Very nice F-27. Looks great next to the Airbus. This is the second EE F-27 I've seen in the last week, and both have been really well finished and presented. One for me fopr the future I think.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Like 1

Well tidy use of your wifes hairdryer,🤣sorry could not resist.I look forward too seeing your models posted as I know they are always well done and have schemes I have never seen before.:goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for taking time to drop by and express your interest / pass comments - much appreciated.

On 5/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, Skodadriver said:

That's a real beauty Mike, love the spinning props!  

Out of interest what paint did you use on the belly?  It might just be an illusion but it looks darker than the grey on the wings.   I ask because I'm currently refurbishing an old Doyusha F27. I plan to finish in Luxair livery which has "normal" light grey below the cheatline and a noticeably darker belly.  

Thanks Dave. Nick's markings called out for a light grey belly and nose tip, but I found some photos online with a darker belly and black nose tip. The THY Version in the Airfix 1/72 kit has a black belly so I split the difference and ended up painting mine with a black nose tip and dark grey belly (Tamiya Dark Grey XF-24)

On 5/19/2018 at 8:37 PM, Turbofan said:

Superb as always Mike! Nice use of the hairdryer again!

I've yet to start my EE F27 so I don't know how bad it is but you're not the first to mention difficulties. Having said that there are no signs of any of the 'challenges' with this one.

Why did you scratchbuild the props and spinners? Was it in order to make them spin?

What's next off the bench?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'm afraid I was rather disappointed with the kit as it didn't live up to expectations. At times it felt like a short-run kit with thick plastic and few parts that fitted together properly. When I dry fitted the wings to the fuselage it looked like it had more wing flex than a 787 ! I opted to replace the propellers because I found it to be easier than trying to clean up the join after sandwiching the propeller blades between the front and back sections of each spinner. (One nearly made it through the process and although I did get it spinning, it was rotating anticlockwise which was wrong - Proof, as if it was ever needed, that I'm a sad git !)

What's next on the bench ? A couple of 737s that I started before the 737 STGB.........and yet still didn't manage to finish 😥

On 5/19/2018 at 11:40 PM, stringbag said:

Super job Mike. 👍  Great finish throughout

The A320 is rather nice too.  I don't remember seeing that one posted before.

Chris

Crikey Chris ! My Turkish Airlines A320 retrojet has already become a retro-build. 😁

On 5/20/2018 at 1:55 AM, celt said:

Well tidy use of your wifes hairdryer,🤣sorry could not resist.I look forward too seeing your models posted as I know they are always well done and have schemes I have never seen before.:goodjob:

Cheers for letting the cat out of the bag Celt !

Carry on like that and it won't be long before Mrs M finds out that I've been using her electric toothbrush and Fairy Liquid to clean my models. (Every time she cleans her teeth, she thinks she has rabies !) 🤣

Best Regards

mike

• Like 1

Another cracker Mike, lovely finish as expected! Glad you perservered with it, the end result was well worth it! Hope I didn't miss seeing it for real by being AWOL from the last two club meetings!

I don't recall seeing the 'Bus either, another lovely little thing!

Keith

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another cracker Mike, lovely finish as expected! Glad you perservered with it, the end result was well worth it! Hope I didn't miss seeing it for real by being AWOL from the last two club meetings!

I don't recall seeing the 'Bus either, another lovely little thing!

Keith

20 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Hi Keith - I'm afraid I've been AWOL for the last two meetings as well so I'm sure there will be a lot of wrist-smacking going on when we get back. 🙂

I thought its been quiet in the meetings.🤣🤣

• Like 1

That's a little belter of a model, I rather like that old Turkish livery, it seemed to suit a lot of airliners. Looks great with the A320!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, celt said:

I saw these two models in the flesh as it were tonight at our club meeting and they are something to behold.A true modeller at work.:mike:Well tidy mun.

Couldn't agree more,  two little stunners - although the 'bus is quite a bit bigger than the dainty little Friendship!

Cracking work Mike, on both of them! :thumbsup:

K

PS - meant to ask but forgot, is the nose gear on the 'bus as per the kit, or did  you detail it?

PPS - you were right about the xtracolour Airbus grey!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Superb build there Mike.

Just received one of those kits recently (in Balair livery).

Seeing yours keeps me confident of turning out at least a decent result of mine